Author Topic: travel advice needed  (Read 1823 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
travel advice needed
« on: 13:29:47, 15/11/20 »
I have recently noticed that Belfast City Airport in Northern Ireland has started flights to the East Midlands airport. I'm thinking of visiting the White Peak next year when restrictions are hopefully lifted. I'm reliant on public transport so am thinking that Derby would be a good base with Transpeak connections to Buxton. Is it possible to get to Derby from East Midlands airport via bus/train? If so, how long does the journey take? Any good hotels in Derby? What are the best walks in this region? I've already visited the Heights of Abraham but would welcome other suggestions. Is Monsal Dale in this region? Thanks, Henry

Sevenup

Re: travel advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 15:33:01, 15/11/20 »
Google Maps suggests there’s a direct bus called ‘Skylink’ which takes 41 mins to Derby. I usually use Google Maps for local transport in strange towns and Tripadvisor for hotels.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:36:51, 15/11/20 »
Rome2Rio is a good site for travel options.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:30:36, 15/11/20 »
Here's a link to bus services in Derbyshire. The 173 serves Monsal Head
http://www.derbysbus.info/index.htm

I've often walked in the White Peak, accessing all the walks by public transport. I stayed in Buxton.  Some of the most beautiful places to walk are the dales of the Dove   -   Dovedale and Wolfscote and Beresford Dales;  the dales of the Wye  -  Chee Dale, Millers Dale, Water-cum-Jolly Dale and Monsal Dale; and Bradford and Lathkill Dales.

Derby has a good bus service to Ashbourne, the SW1, which would facilitate walks in the southern part of the White Peak, but if you wanted to walk in that part it would better to stay somewhere there, such as Ashbourne. 

I wouldn't myself choose Derby as a base for walking the White Peak, as it's some way outside the area.  Buxton and Bakewell are good bases and I think the travel logistics are easier than from Derby. 

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:21:21, 15/11/20 »
I'm going to agree with Dovegirl. You would be better to travel that bit further once, to Buxton or perhaps Bakewell, rather than travelling every day from Derby in to the Peaks.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:41:39, 18/11/20 »
If you want to walk Monsal Dale area...which is really outstanding I think...I agree with others that Bakewwell is a better base than Derby.

But there is a fair amount of really good walking starting from Derby itself...its the middle of Amber Valley area which covers Matlock, Belper, etc...and you could easily more or less follow river Derwent to Chatsworth, etc.

Derby does I think have some advantages over Bakewell if weather is really bad and you're a softie like me...its got a lot of really big parks in city area and a really good small museum/ art gallery.

Almost toss of a coin for me. Maybe worth looking at the walk called Derwent Valley Heritage way (55 miles in total) and if you fancy doing that (or sections of it)...then Derby is an ideal base.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:12:07, 28/11/20 »
Thanks for the advice all :)  I've stayed before in Buxton which can be accessed from Manchester airport but the problem is that Belfast City airport flies to East Midlands more often these days :( Hoping in 2021 that Flybe will resume flights from Belfast City to Manchester so I can access the Peak district more conveniently :)

snaderson

« Reply #7 on: 08:24:21, 30/11/20 »
Hoping in 2021 that Flybe will resume flights from Belfast City to Manchester so I can access the Peak district more conveniently :)

If Flybe are back in business then!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:20:35, 30/11/20 »
We had Flybe in Southhampton and for us and our son, it was a godsend when he was at Edinburgh Uni but Flybe has now gone and is no more! I know its capitalism in action but how can the Government allow such an important internal UK service to disappear so easily?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy