Author Topic: Youlgreave  (Read 1242 times)

nesty

Youlgreave
« on: 19:58:03, 10/03/21 »
Hi All
I going to Youlgreave in May, I have never been to this area before, anyone got some good points of interesting places to see ideally locally?
I like to give up driving when away, so I will naturally be walking, so is there any decent walks? Additionally, will also take my e-bike with me for getting that bit further around, so any bike trails routes away from roads?
Thanks

BlueKnight

Re: Youlgreave
« Reply #1 on: 20:23:18, 10/03/21 »
Just East of Youlgreave you will find the village of Alpert.  There you can find a lovely walk through Lathkill Dale to the village of Over Haddon.  You could reverse the route to return to Alpert or take a variety of footpaths from Over Haddon to Yolgreave.  My suggestion for an off road cycle ride would be to pick up the Monsal Trail in Bakewell and take the trail (about 8 miles) to Blackwell Mill where there is a bike hire shop and cafe.  There are various points of interest along the trail, most notably Monsal Head and Viaduct,  Hopefully this will give you some ideas.

nesty

« Reply #2 on: 20:28:45, 10/03/21 »
Ok thanks for this, will research. I am looking forward to the trip.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:36:21, 10/03/21 »
From Youlgreave you can walk down into Bradford Dale, which is very beautiful.

Between Bakewell and Monsal Head is the picturesque village of Ashford-in-the-Water, with its sheepwash bridge over the river Wye.  The riverside walks along the dales of the Wye, below the Monsal Trail, are lovely   -   Chee Dale, Millers Dale and Water-cum-Jolly Dale. 

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 06:46:41, 11/03/21 »
From Youlgrave you can walk to the rock formations know as Robin Hood Stride. Lovely spot for lunch.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

snaderson

« Reply #5 on: 08:07:08, 11/03/21 »
One of my favourite spots (not just because there are 3 pubs in the village). As others have said, Bradford Dale is lovely (Alport not Alpert!) as is Lathkill Dale. The Lathkil Hotel at Over Haddon has a fabulous view. Head out to Winster (south-east) and back over Stanton Moor. Head south to Gratton Dale and Long Dale (full of butterflies in summer). You're nearer the High Peak Trail (ex railway) than Monsal Trail for e-biking. North end is Parsely Hey (can also get on the similar Tissington Trail), heads south-east towards Wirksworth.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:28:28, 11/03/21 »
One of our favourite walks when we visit the Peak District is an 8 mile walk starting in Middleton-by-Youlgreave taking in Long Dale, Gratton Dale and Bradford Dale, three very different dales and quieter than others.  It’s a well worn route we cut out of Country Walking years ago. You could easily start it from Youlgreave instead.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy