Author Topic: An apology given to the two women fined for going for a walk  (Read 3336 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Covid: Women fined for going for a walk receive police apology - BBC News

It is a relief to those who don't have a green space right on their doorstep that it is ok to drive a short distance to be able to access one.
Hate will never win

herbert tickle

I should think so too,
It was flippin ridiculous  :(

pleb

• Veteran Member
Maybe the police said "it was a nice little tickle".  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

fernman

• Veteran Member
Covid: Women fined for going for a walk receive police apology - BBC News

It is a relief to those who don't have a green space right on their doorstep that it is ok to drive a short distance to be able to access one.

Shhhh! you're not supposed to mention the C word on the forum any more!

But the press are making a fuss today after the PM was seen cycling 7 miles from his home. If that is seen as wrong then it's also wrong to be walking 7 miles from home, which must apply to some of us, whether we've walked that far or maybe driven 3, 4 miles to start the walk.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Basically, just like the first time round, there are constant calls for the police to 'do something' and 'stop people breaking the rules' but whenever they do something there's an outcry. They can't win.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
And to the actual government guidance, it states that you can "travel to somewhere local, for instance to access open space for exercise", but local means "not leaving your village, town, or part of the city in which you live".
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

April

• Veteran Member
You need to read the rules and guidance properly folks, there is no mileage mentioned in any of the guidance. You are allowed to drive somewhere to walk so you can avoid the busy streets, small green areas and very busy parks in cities where there are a lot of people and social distancing is very difficult. That is why the police have withdrawn the fines from the women because they hadn't broken the rules. They mentioned the park closest to them was really busy so they drove a little further to a more quiet area to avoid people. That is what I did at the weekend because walking on my street is not safe and I'm more likely to catch covid if I walk down it. I will be continuing to drive to start a walk. I think we are allowed to discuss C as long as it is an walking context, which this is.

From the guidance on gov.uk

"The list of reasons you can leave your home and area include, but are not limited to:

outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)"
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Perfectly reasonable for those two women to drive 5 miles to reach a bit of green space. Also perfectly reasonable to cycle 7 miles (as long as you maintain social distancing) - that really is no distance at all on a bike.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
In my circumstances, where I have some excellent walking from the door, it would not be reasonable to drive 5 miles, as it is quite simply not necessary.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jac

• Veteran Member
Perfectly reasonable for those two women to drive 5 miles to reach a bit of green space. Also perfectly reasonable to cycle 7 miles (as long as you maintain social distancing) - that really is no distance at all on a bike.

So it is ok to go further and leave your own locality if you cycle, when you could cycle around in circles within your area? I know, that would seem ridiculous but that's the problem. The rules are so fuzzy that even the fuzz can't interpret them.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

herbert tickle

Maybe the police said "it was a nice little tickle".  ;D
Alright pleb how are ya doing son?
Hope you still getting out and about,
Knuckles is doing bird at the moment,
he got a bit too excited when we were debt collecting and broke the blokes jaw :o
Anyway well have to go for a beer when this lockdown is over O0
Herb

Jac

• Veteran Member
The Minister for Vaccines, interviewed on women's hour this morning resurrected the old myth (not in any of the regulations) that exercise is limited to one hour
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

pleb

• Veteran Member
The Minister for Vaccines, interviewed on women's hour this morning resurrected the old myth (not in any of the regulations) that exercise is limited to one hour
That one really is a dead duck. But if numpty interviewers didn't go asking the same old stuff then ministers wouldn't be having to say these things. Just ignore it.

pleb

• Veteran Member
Alright pleb how are ya doing son?
Hope you still getting out and about,
Knuckles is doing bird at the moment,
he got a bit too excited when we were debt collecting and broke the blokes jaw :o
Anyway well have to go for a beer when this lockdown is over O0
Herb
Oh good grief. I told you not to feed him those artichoke milkshakes.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
We have green space a short walk from the front door and more if we walk half a mile, this area is furnished with a Right of Way that could lead to a village a 10 mile drive away. It has been of great interest to follow the tracks that have developed around the field margins the Right of Way since March. User demand (as highlighted as a reason for the development of access by the Joint Users conference a few years ago is patently evident). This was in the face of Privacy Notices in plentiful supply. We rewalked a few of these paths a couple of days ago and found a number of new Privacy Notices, newly erected and well within the geography of Private Land. This walk did us both a lot of good helping to protect us from the stir-crazy symptoms that might lead to emotional problems.

Was I to heed these, newly erected privacy notices and drive perhaps 5 miles to a layby I know, I might be considered too far out and be fined. Can I sue the landowner for the fine? In this state of emergency are his privacy notices an unnecessary public nuisance, the evidence of the footfall from March gives clear signs of the public need and those using them are taking reasonable precautions to exercise more safely by extending the limited public space provided by a single line of Right of Way.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy