Author Topic: So we just booked a holiday in the Howgills...  (Read 3957 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: So we just booked a holiday in the Howgills...
« Reply #15 on: 00:31:34, 01/03/21 »
Good to see you back, ninthace  :)

I will second that.  O0

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 07:47:07, 01/03/21 »
And third that  O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:39:01, 01/03/21 »
Sedbergh (pronounced 'sedd-buh' locally) is a little gem. It's a 'book town' (like Hay) with several bookshops and dealers and also has a reputation as a good place for foodies.
We stayed there many years ago when doing the Dales Way so will probably explore it a bit more.

Unless things have changed, there are 2 pubs in Ravenstonedale, (pronounced Rissendel loclally).   IMHO. of the 2, the Kings Head by the bridge was the superior.
Kings Head looks like its doing takeaways, other one closed at the moment. They won’t be open inside when we go so hope for warm weather! Welcome back btw ninthace

Brilliant news RR  O0   Please do lots of trip reports so I can get a feel of the area (planning on bagging every "top" in the Howgills at some point).
Will do  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:26:39, 01/03/21 »
Thankyou all for the welcome back.  I had not intended to become active but the Howgills are worth it.If you are interested in routes on the Howgills, I have parked a few on VR, Outdooractive or the OS site - take your pick.  All the routes access the hills from the N.  I never understood the popularity of approaching from the S, the northern slopes are much more gentle.  One definite recommendation would be Bowderdale.   If the weather is down, there are alternative routes to the north in Smardale or the limestone pavements of Great Asby Scar and don't miss the chocolate shop in Orton.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:34:44, 01/03/21 »
Mel:  If you want a good taste of the Howgills in one bite try https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1914688/120503-Howgill-Tour 
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:25:48, 02/03/21 »
Mel:  If you want a good taste of the Howgills in one bite try https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1914688/120503-Howgill-Tour

Looks like a good route. What is the parking like at Gaisgill?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:03:23, 02/03/21 »

Looks like a good route. What is the parking like at Gaisgill?
Not great but there are also off road possibilities by the minor road heading S from NY 63611 05198
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:25:20, 02/03/21 »
Thanks. I could of course start at Bowderdale.

..and I do fancy a walk up Langdale too.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 12:56:41, 03/03/21 »
Cheers for that link ninthace  O0   added to my pile for when I get there.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 11:31:26, 04/03/21 »
Great to see you back Ninthace, I hope the OP has a good time in the Howgills. A lovely range of hills with a difference, though I have not spent enough time there to say what it is.

I was fortunate enough to be offered a chance to do a walk leaders assessment from Sedbergh, not that ever wanted to become one, but the experience gave me an insight into the lack of understanding between LAF's and real walking. When I returned a very old friend reminded me that he had spent his school days at Sedbergh and an initiation tradition was to run to the top of the hill adjacent to the college barefoot in the winter term.

I had a wonderful walk into Sedbergh, decided not to go there by car but took the train to Dent station and hoofed it in. The fact that I erred from the righteous way to maximise my route from Dent, probably was the start of the demerits in my assessment, needless to say, my failure to pass out as walk leader was a mutually agreeable result and respect on both sides for our different approaches to walking.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

weston.front

« Reply #26 on: 15:01:12, 04/03/21 »
The Howgills are super, not "amazing" like the bigger peaks in the Lake District but really nice.  Enhanced (but don't do telling anyone) by the fact they are less popular.  Walking up next to Cautley Spout is good. Don't be tempted to follow the Pennine journey route across from Garsdale to Cautley though, unless you are a fan of bog snorkelling of course...  If one day you fancy more of an amble than a walk, Sunbiggin Tarn (N of your cottage) is really scenic.  I started a section of the Coast to Coast from here and awoke to a stunning view.  If you venture into Sedbergh then I can highly recommend the Smatt's Duo cafe for breakfast rolls.
I really hope this works out for you, because (1) you'll love it and (2) it will mean the rest of us can also escape our house arrest at long last!!

Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:24:50, 21/04/21 »
So we're off on Saturday, can’t wait! Looking like it should stay dry if a little cooler than this week. Have studied all of the routes suggested and have found some more on here. Think we’re just going to have to go with the flow and probably aim for low mileage to start with as it’s so long since we’ve walked in the hills. We’ve been going 7-8 miles several days a week in Suffolk, in walking shoes and with no rucksack and no hills! Waterproofing leather boots and digging the day rucksack out later. Mustn’t forget the poles either! We’re staying in Ravenstonedale so thinking of starting with a 7 mile circular walk to Smardale gill and viaduct. The pub is open outside and doing takeaways every night now so at least I won’t have to cook every day!

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:41:15, 21/04/21 »
Sounds great RR, I hope you have a great week.  Look forward to some TRs. O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:20:23, 22/04/21 »
Sounds great RR, I hope you have a great week.  Look forward to some TRs. O0
Thanks, Mel has already requested TRs so I daren’t not do any!  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy