Author Topic: One Single Day Walk. Which would you choose?  (Read 4460 times)

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
One Single Day Walk. Which would you choose?
« on: 19:45:19, 02/12/20 »
Sitting here poring over my laptop mapping looking for different routes here in Somerset and for, hopefully, a couple of trips to the Lakes it got me thinking do I have one single walk that stands out for me and am happy to walk again and again.
And after a lot of pondering I have landed on a Lakes district walk..Rosthwaite to Castle Crag down the other side and follow the path to Seatoller then along to Borrowdale YHA, cross to Stonethwaite and up through the woods via  Lingy End , past Dock Tarn to Watendlath and finally back over to Rosthwaite.

I am interested in seeing your day walks.....
It's all uphill from here.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: One Single Day Walk. Which would you choose?
« Reply #1 on: 20:21:04, 02/12/20 »
For me, it's to Clanfield, Hampshire on the bus, a circuit around Queen Elizabeth Country Park, (stop for coffee and cake) onto Chalton and then to Emsworth and then catch the train home. Fields, woods and downs, excellent.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:24:32, 02/12/20 »
I walked through the Queen Elizabeth park many years ago when walking the South Downs Way. I remember there being a mountain biking centre there with guys doing demos. Then on and up Butser Hill.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:43:20, 02/12/20 »
I'm sure that the best are to do with the memories of who we were with etc. as much as the walk its self. I'm choosing

Buttermere YHA - Great Borne - Starling Dodd - Red Pike - High Style - High Crag - Haystacks - Fleetwith Pike - Buttermere YHA

But I may be back tomorrow with a new suggestion.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:45:48, 02/12/20 »
I look forward to your rethink...

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:37:39, 02/12/20 »
For me it's the Sussex coast between Seaford and Eastbourne.  I've never done it in one go as it's an easy day trip from where I live but I do it in sections.  Dramatic white cliffs, rolling green downland, rock-strewn shores, the estuary and marshes of beautiful Cuckmere Haven. I love it.

snaderson

« Reply #6 on: 08:02:02, 03/12/20 »
Excluding some epics in Scotland, my favourite walk is (having it done it twice so far)

Wasdale Head - Black Sail Pass - Pillar - Scoat Fell - Steeple - Red Pike - Yewbarrow (via Stirrup Crag)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:07:17, 03/12/20 »
Ingleborough by Wharf, Crummack and Moughton, back by Gaping Ghyll and Clapham where there might be tea and a scone or even a pint. But like Ridge I might be back with another one tomorrow. I'm not sure if favourite walks as in one's you can do again and again and walks that stand out as wonderful days out are the same. The again and again walks involve varied scenery and, for me, flowers, so a bit of limestone and a bit of woodland is good. The stand out walks are, again as Ridge says, great walks, great company and often good weather.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:11:12, 03/12/20 »
Blencathra. Up Halls Fell Ridge or up Doddick Fell or Scales Fell and down Blease Fell. If I was walking it on Saturday coming I could walk from Keswick and back along the restored Keswick to Threlkeld Railway Path that is open from Saturday  :)

Like Ridge I could list a lot more, I have a lot of favourite walks.
Hate will never win

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:17:46, 03/12/20 »
Blencathra. Up Halls Fell Ridge or up Doddick Fell or Scales Fell and down Blease Fell. If I was walking it on Saturday coming I could walk from Keswick and back along the restored Keswick to Threlkeld Railway Path that is open from Saturday  :)

Like Ridge I could list a lot more, I have a lot of favourite walks.
Is the track from Keswick going to be fully open? It offers so much.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:24:01, 03/12/20 »
For me it's the Sussex coast between Seaford and Eastbourne.  I've never done it in one go as it's an easy day trip from where I live but I do it in sections.  Dramatic white cliffs, rolling green downland, rock-strewn shores, the estuary and marshes of beautiful Cuckmere Haven. I love it.
I have walked from Eastbourne to Alfiston via the coast path and then taken the inland bridleway back to Eastbourne, a fantastic walk.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:26:29, 03/12/20 »
Is the track from Keswick going to be fully open? It offers so much.

Yes it is fully open from Saturday 5th Dec, complete with the new bridges replacing the ones that were lost in storm Desmond and Big Tunnel instead of the boardwalk. Wish the path wasn't tarmac though.

Edited to add this link
Keswick to Threlkeld Railway Path
« Last Edit: 08:45:18, 03/12/20 by April »
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:47:41, 03/12/20 »
There'll be a different answer every day!!

One that I always love is a double traverse of the Carneddau - starting from Abergwngregyn to Carnedd Dafydd and back - not normally one for out and backs but the easy terrain, huge views and long period walking at high level makes this an annual favourite!  A long day but wonderful.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:01:35, 03/12/20 »
That's a good route you've chosen slowcoach.
I would start from Patterdale at Deepdale Bridge, past Brothers Water and up Dovedale. Dove Crag and Hart Crag, descend along Hartsop above How.
Finish with a pint at the White House  O0

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:19:46, 03/12/20 »
That's a good route you've chosen slowcoach.
I would start from Patterdale at Deepdale Bridge, past Brothers Water and up Dovedale. Dove Crag and Hart Crag, descend along Hartsop above How.
Finish with a pint at the White House  O0
I love Hartsop above How. I have used it for various routes..Hart Crag to Fairfield, Cofa Pike to Patterdale.
Or to Hart Crag across to the Scandale Pass junction and then down Caiston Glen.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy