Author Topic: Sites when I can draw my own routes?  (Read 5411 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Sites when I can draw my own routes?
« on: 11:21:19, 08/04/21 »
Does anyone use a free site that enables them to use a mouse downward click and hold to draw their own route on an online map and then be able to save it?

I have had a look at Backcountry and that seems to work but what others offer this facility. Without paying do any of them use OS background maps?

For example, I'm trying to plot a route from Petersfield, Hampshire to Maidstone in Kent by using normal signposted trails and I want to know when to come off one track to get to another and identify the link track I would use to connect them.

I assume there are many, but are some easier to use than others?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Sites when I can draw my own routes?
« Reply #1 on: 11:27:36, 08/04/21 »
Can't you just do this on Viewranger, or rather more crudely, on Bing Maps, with the OS layer chosen (their 'measure distance' function)?
You would be marking your route 'point to point', but you can place as many points as you like, so the end result is much the same.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:30:41, 08/04/21 »
Anpother point - when I mark up my opentopomap maps for trip reports, I never just draw the route with a mouse, as it is hard to hold the mouse steady enough, and one slip and you have to do that section again. Instead I use dots. Much more controllable.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:10:18, 08/04/21 »
Open-top looks good...don't use them...I will have a look.
Walk Highlands uses 1:25:000 maps available to folks for this purpose.
Although a member of this site a haven't used these maps....have my own purchased Memory Maps where I can do this function.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:15:00, 08/04/21 »
Can't you just do this on Viewranger, or rather more crudely, on Bing Maps, with the OS layer chosen (their 'measure distance' function)?
You would be marking your route 'point to point', but you can place as many points as you like, so the end result is much the same.
Not free in VR on an OS map, but certainly free on an Open Sourece Map.
Solvitur Ambulando

Patrick1

« Reply #5 on: 13:58:57, 08/04/21 »
WalkLakes works for me. Register for free and you can access both 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 maps of the whole of the UK. You can plot  routes, export (or import) them as gpx files, and view an altitude profile of your walk. Does everything I need, to be honest.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:44:37, 08/04/21 »
Re: walklakes - same here. It also has satellite images, essential for checking where the path really is versus what's marked on the map. I don't need any functionality not supplied there.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:50:19, 08/04/21 »
WalkLakes is great, I use it for planning trips with friends as it spits out a GPX file they can load to their smartphone (and usually proceed to then complain about).  As has been said, free, has sat imagery and relatively simple user interface. 

I've tried using ViewRanger to draw routes and their web portal is irritating to do this with, but the app works pretty well if you want a rough route you can follow.  I don't often find this very useful unless I'm doing multi-day trips and want to be lazy about navigation though.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:08:06, 08/04/21 »
Definitely another thumbs up for WalkLakes. I have been plotting routes on it for two years now . Simple to use and to the point . .

Works very well and I print off tiles as needed . Sometimes I may go into it on full screen , take a screen shot and convert it to a jpeg image and then e mail that image to myself , so I can look at it if needed on my smart phone as another back up to the paper tile and the GPX on my hand held .  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Eyelet

« Reply #9 on: 15:28:21, 08/04/21 »
WalkHighlands has a free and simple route plotter over OS maps https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/ but no aerial imaging layer.

The nakarte.me is another free but more sophisticated map viewer and route plotting webapp:  https://nakarte.me/#m=13/54.47250/-3.23489&l=Otm/Gbt.

In addition to several open source map alternatives such as OPenTopoMap and four satellite imaging sources, you can plot routes over overlays which include OS 1-50 and 1-25, IGN France, IGN Spain and SwissTopo which are useful if you are planning a hiking trip abroad. Switching between a map layer and a satellite layer is easy. You can also import and export routes in a variety of formats including GPX and KML.

You have to click points to build your route though, as you cannot drag and draw in either of these.

Patrick1

« Reply #10 on: 15:59:34, 08/04/21 »
Sometimes I may go into it on full screen , take a screen shot and convert it to a jpeg image and then e mail that image to myself , so I can look at it if needed on my smart phone as another back up to the paper tile and the GPX on my hand held .  O0
Can I recommend "Maverick" on your (Android) smartphone? Free access (from Bing) to OS mapping for the whole of the UK, which, once youve browsed it online remains available offline. Plots your gps position on the offline map, and can import a gpx file as well. It does everything I need from a smartphone navigation app and, as I said, costs nothing.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:31:33, 08/04/21 »
Can I recommend "Maverick" on your (Android) smartphone? Free access (from Bing) to OS mapping for the whole of the UK, which, once youve browsed it online remains available offline. Plots your gps position on the offline map, and can import a gpx file as well. It does everything I need from a smartphone navigation app and, as I said, costs nothing.
Can you use the Maverick app to follow a GPX route on Ordnance survey mapping while you walk for free , apart from the use of mobile data .?
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:23:32, 08/04/21 »
The WalkLakes site looks interesting - will have a play.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:27:39, 08/04/21 »
Open-top looks good...don't use them...I will have a look.
Walk Highlands uses 1:25:000 maps available to folks for this purpose.
Although a member of this site a haven't used these maps....have my own purchased Memory Maps where I can do this function.

I use opentopomaps as there are no copyright issues for posting on my blog, as long as you acknowledge them. And some people like the "shady bits", as the relief shading is known in our household. Contour lines around cliffs a bit dodgy, though, but for an overview, fine.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:24:24, 08/04/21 »
I've had a go at some of your suggestions, the Backcountry one (as long as I keep my finger on my mouse) can draw lines along bendy footpaths whilst others only seem to be able to make straight lines or to follow a bend I have to make lots of stops and starts to keep to a route accurately. I'll keep looking so thanks for all of your suggestions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy