Author Topic: Running ‘hot’ in cool weather  (Read 3269 times)

Sevenup

Re: Running ‘hot’ in cool weather
« Reply #30 on: 14:01:48, 26/11/20 »
Neil, you’re opening up a whole new can of worms. I’m still trying to sort out base layers.

I had an interesting session this morning with a Quechua merino base layer under a Sherpa merino jumper (a bit like this with buttons instead of a zip   https://www.sherpaadventuregear.co.uk/item/sherpa-adventure-gear/kangtega-quarter-zip-sweater/17AJ   ) on the Cobbler. Although I eventually took the heavier top off, I didn’t get as hot and sweaty as I would have done wearing synthetics. The top layer allowed much more cool air through than synthetic/ fleece tops would have done. I didn’t need a rain jacket since it was more smir than rain and water droplets formed on the outside of the jumper. A rain jacket would have been ‘boil in the bag’.  

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 18:59:54, 26/11/20 »
I think I practiced what I preach today, the air felt damp, there was a litle bit of very light drizzle at the start, it was overcast and I thought it was rather cold. There was no air movement at all. I decided to wear my cheap (£14.99 when I bought it) single skin Decathlon wind jacket, it's not waterproof but its really effective at what it's designed for. In running terms it's my most used article of clothing.

I wore my Brynge 'string vest' and my long-sleeved bamboo base layer underneath. Within a mile, I knew that my wind jacket was building up its usual perspiration wetness on the inside so I did a full unzip and ran another mile but I could feel the wetness inside my sleeves, the inside of my jacket had dried but not inside my sleeves.

Sometimes I just take the jacket off and tuck it under my belt for the whole of my run but today, without stopping I just took it off, turned it inside out, put it on again and kept running. That did the trick, the whole jacket and the sleeves dried in about a minute. About a mile later, I just turned it inside out again, put it back on and carried on. I soon came to a steepish hill, so I just took the jacket off (I knew how hot and sweaty I would be) and slowly and deliberately plodded on to the top and by then I knew I would keep the jacket off for the rest of my run, I was steaming!

I'd rather do these easy procedures 2 - 3 times on a 4-5 mile run than spend out lots of money on a so-called 'breathable' jacket, for me, it's just not worth it. The ones that testers claim are 'breathable' (I don't believe it!) seem to be over £100 but to me, £50 would be too much to pay as well.

I would go far to suggest that when hiking and I am hot and sweaty the inside wetness is often more of a problem to me than the wetness on the outside, that was definitely the case when I used to use my Paramo Alta 2.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 23:10:05, 26/11/20 »
Neil, you’re opening up a whole new can of worms. I’m still trying to sort out base layers.

I had an interesting session this morning with a Quechua merino base layer under a Sherpa merino jumper (a bit like this with buttons instead of a zip  https://www.sherpaadventuregear.co.uk/item/sherpa-adventure-gear/kangtega-quarter-zip-sweater/17AJ  ) on the Cobbler. Although I eventually took the heavier top off, I didn’t get as hot and sweaty as I would have done wearing synthetics. The top layer allowed much more cool air through than synthetic/ fleece tops would have done. I didn’t need a rain jacket since it was more smir than rain and water droplets formed on the outside of the jumper. A rain jacket would have been ‘boil in the bag’.  

That would be because somehow I posted that into the wrong thread lol!

Sevenup

« Reply #33 on: 23:10:42, 26/11/20 »

That would be because somehow I posted that into the wrong thread lol!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 09:54:06, 27/11/20 »
Sorry, I wasn't able to finish my point, got interrupted. So what is easy for me, when I run, is not easy when I hike. With a rucksack on my back, I just can't keep taking my rucksack off and on, so how to solve internal wetness? I've not come up with an answer to that one yet! I may never of course?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 10:17:01, 27/11/20 »
Sorry, I wasn't able to finish my point, got interrupted. So what is easy for me, when I run, is not easy when I hike. With a rucksack on my back, I just can't keep taking my rucksack off and on, so how to solve internal wetness? I've not come up with an answer to that one yet! I may never of course?

I find it pretty easy to take my ruck sack off and on whilst on the move and change my top layers. I do it a lot. Guess it depends a bit on what is in your ruck sack and how you arrange the contents. I don't carry a tent for example.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 11:43:58, 27/11/20 »
I could do it I suppose but I know from experience that to get my rucksack off my back efficiently and successfully I need to practice. When I've tried it before, unclip chest strap, loosen left shoulder strap, loosen right shoulder strap, unclip waist strap, if I get it wrong, usually because I forget to unclip the chest strap first, I can end up nearly garroting myself! Sometimes its also because I'm trying to charge my phone as I walk as well, the phone is one waist strap pocket, the battery in the other waist strap pocket and a connecting wire between them and I then forget that they have to be attended to first. So complicated!  :-[

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 22:57:58, 27/11/20 »
It was interesting walking/jogging 8.5 miles in to Fur tor and back in the cool mist of the late afternoon.  Took me a couple of hours at full chat, but I was able to keep cool the entire route by taking my fleece and gloves off for the uphill sections.  As a result I needed far less fluid that I usually do on that route.

Have to say, I much prefer SW UK temperatures in the winter months.

Bman1

« Reply #38 on: 22:09:17, 29/12/20 »
I'm a 'Sweaty Betty' too.
I have found the Nike Dri-Fit running T's/long sleeves work well, dry quickly when wet, and don't get too smelly. I have also found the standard Helly Hansen tops work well too.
Note, I am not a 'fashion victim' and so wouldn't normally buy on names, but have found these to work much better than other synthetic tops.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy