Author Topic: A quiet Peak  (Read 1630 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
A quiet Peak
« on: 18:19:34, 06/06/08 »
Later in the year I'll be spending some time in the lakes.

Naturally I'm looking at Helvellyn and/or Sca Fell but as they're very well known I imagine that they'll be busy.

Depending on my mood I either like busy hills or I don't. Some summits I feel are best appreciated when there are few people about.

So I'm looking for suggestions for peaks or high fells that stand a good chance of being quiet (even quiet ish). I'll be based near Coniston but we'll be travelling all over.

So over to the panel. A quiet (even if it's quiet ish) hills, peaks and fells in the lake district. Obviously a view at the end (weather premitting) as a reward is highly appreciated.

Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Skinny Walker

Re: A quiet Peak
« Reply #1 on: 18:42:43, 06/06/08 »
I've been on Place Fell, Angletarn Pikes and Beda Fell during the Bank holiday etc and they always seem quiet, especially climbing the ridge to Beda Fell from Sandwick/Howtown.
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:48:39, 06/06/08 »
Sounds interesting, shall have a look.

Although ridges (like Striding Edge at least) and me don't get on.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:20:28, 06/06/08 »
For peace and quiet, either the back o'Skiddaw Fells , the Wythop Fells or the Loweswater Fells. Not classics but delightful to walk on and usually very quiet apart from Wainwright baggers.
Dave

kirbstones

« Reply #4 on: 20:03:10, 06/06/08 »
Harter Fell in Dunnerdale is not too far from Coniston and one of my favourites.  It's out on it's own and fairly steep but great views all round.
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:56:17, 06/06/08 »
Although ridges and me don't get on.
I don't have to come on here for people to give me a hard time I've a family to do that  ;)

2 suggestions;

1 Get out early if you can to beat the rush.

2 Hartsop Above How, High Hartsop Dodd, Little Hart Crag, Middle Dodd all in the same area at the bottom of the Kirkstone Pass and I think, as they are dwarfed by the Fairfield Horseshoe to the west and Helvellyn and co. to the north, they get overlooked.

janeho

« Reply #6 on: 11:20:12, 10/06/08 »
The Far eastern fells are not exactly handy for Coniston, but tend to be much quieter.
This May bank holiday we were at Borrowdale (the one near Shap not the famous one) An excellent ridge, lots of wildlife and didn't see a single other person
http://physiobench.com [nofollow]
Online physio treatment and advice

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:45:28, 10/06/08 »
Janeho

Welcome to the forum.

Ridge

Psst, guys, I think from her profile that Jane is a physiotherapist, she could get so many requests for advice. Did I mention my bad back, and knees.....

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy