Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 576388 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #3360 on: 13:49:06, 26/07/21 »
Hinning House car park to Green Crag, then Harter Fell - we were going to go on to Hard Knott, but the breeze never got up, we were very hot, and decided a pint sounded more appetising, so we dropped through the woodland and back to the car.  Amazing the number of tents that can be pitched in one car park - three on arrival!

Mary_walker

« Reply #3361 on: 18:56:11, 26/07/21 »
We climbed up Ben Nevis and Aonach Mor during this weekend. Ben Nevis was super hot! Perhaps the hottest day of year over 30 all the way to the top. We had some jackets and caps to use on the top! ;D  But even the top temp wasn't less than 25  ??? .

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3362 on: 19:00:26, 26/07/21 »
Enjoyed the slightly cooler weather on Sunday and took a 12 mile amble from the Dartmoor Inn, around some of my favourite tors. Cuppa stops at Fur tor and Great Links.  Happily my calf muscle  held up, tight but not painful.  Must somehow make my self amble for another week or two and hopefully get it to heal properly.  Easily said.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3363 on: 20:28:06, 26/07/21 »
I thought i would go and explore Llyn Dulyn above Cwm Eigiau, as some of the aircraft wreckage, that is normally submerged under the deep waters, are now visible.

Its been a number of years since the water level has been low enough, to see the wreckage of at least two different aircraft.

There was quite a bit of aircraft fuselage strewn over a wide area, mostly in very small pieces, and the propeller blades of the Dakota that went down in 1944, is quite impressive.
Whats most interesting, is that there's some of the writing still clearly legible on one of the twisted propeller blades.

How on earth that has survived, submerged in deep cold water for over 70yrs, heaven knows.

The blade was almost twisted in half, due to the impact of the crash, but the aviation writing, in a fluorescent orange was still visible, and readable, even though i could not make much sense of what it said.

Until you actually go off exploring above the reservoir, you tend to forget just how vast the Carneddau are.

I usually stick to my favourite known routes and paths, and do not go adventuring off course, but today, was pretty memorable.

I was thinking, what a savage place to be, in a whiteout, during Winter, and it was pretty breezy this afternoon, but ideal conditions to go exploring.

After a leisurely exploration around Dulyn, i decided to climb the mountainside above the lake, and eventually worked my way to the summit of Foel Grach, which took nearly two hours of exploration with a bit of very mild rock scrambling for good measure.

It would not have been an easy jaunt, had the mist come down, as you were simply navigating into a huge emptiness, with no clear sight of the main ridge above.

The weather forecast is on the change for Northern Snowdonia tomorrow, so this was a quick adventure around the lower slopes of the Northern Carneddau.

Melynllyn, the upper reservoir was very low on water, you could have walked across it if you had wanted, but the mud looked very deep and uninviting so i gave it a miss.

A most enjoyable afternoon, in an area of the Carneddau ive never walked before.     

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3364 on: 08:42:57, 27/07/21 »
It’s a lovely spot, isn’t it? I did a loop following the ridge above Eigiau on the route up to Foel Grach, then along the top to Foel Fras and then cut down off-piste to Dulyn and then onto Melynllyn. The Cwm around Dulyn is beautiful, and the cliffs quite impressive. It was just me and the ponies. (Too much water in the reservoir to see the wreckage though).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3365 on: 09:16:31, 29/07/21 »
Dulyn is very dramatic.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3366 on: 18:35:56, 31/07/21 »
A very grey walk from Seathwaite (Duddon version), Seathwaite Tarn, Grey Friars, Great Carrs, Swirl How, Brim Fell, Old Man of Coniston, Goats Water, Walna Scar Road, Seathwaite.

Clag from 350m up first thing, couldn't see a blummin' thing.  Was intending to come back via Dow Crag, but having descended to Goat Hawse and being bale to see something, I couldn't face going back into the cloud, hence dropping to Walna Scar.  Bit of a mistake really as it leaves quite a re-ascent of the Walna Scar Road before it drops to Seathwaite, and the top was in clag too.

Still quite enjoyed myself - didn't see a soul until I reached Brim Fell.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3367 on: 22:58:06, 21/08/21 »
Happily the met office got the forecast completely wrong for today. Supposed to be clag followed by thunder and lightning.  In the end in was a lovely sunny summers day up on Dartmoor.  A pleasant 13 mile walk from Prince town, taking in Longaford tor and Great mis, amongst others.  :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3368 on: 08:50:54, 22/08/21 »
Sounds like a bonus day BuzG O0

I have walked to my office both days - blummin work.  Hoping to take some time off midweek to make up for it.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3369 on: 22:07:29, 28/08/21 »
I walked the Sussex Border Path around Thorney Island in Chichester Harbour today.  Thorney Island is MOD land and you have to press a buzzer at the security gates to gain access.  A serenely beautiful walk beside creeks and marshes, with boats on the water and with, at times, a feeling of remoteness.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3370 on: 22:16:01, 28/08/21 »
Went out for lunch and then for a very short local walk with my Dad, well he is 84.
We just got back to the car when it poured with rain for about 5 minutes, a lucky escape as we hadn't got waterproofs with us.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3371 on: 10:02:05, 29/08/21 »
My wife and I did the LDWA White Cliffs Challenge ultra yesterday. Very tough! Report to follow...  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3372 on: 15:35:57, 04/09/21 »
Wander round Langdale this morning, Stickle Tarn, Blea Rigg, Sergeant Man, High Raise, Thunacar Knott, Pavey Ark, Harrison Stickle, Pike o Stickle, Loft Crag and down. Cloud down after Blea Rigg, lifted on Pike of Stickle. Cracking morning.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3373 on: 19:39:28, 04/09/21 »
I walked the Chidham peninsula in Chichester Harbour today.  A beautiful, peaceful walk.  Creeks, marshes, lots of boats, and picturesque views of the village of Bosham across one of the creeks.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3374 on: 18:58:41, 05/09/21 »
Lovely local walk round Kelsey Gardens in the sunshine followed by an hour's kayaking on the lake followed by a bacon butty.  Saw a kingfisher  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy