Author Topic: Does carrying a rucksack damage Gortex, does it wet out?  (Read 4313 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Does carrying a rucksack damage Gortex, does it wet out?
« Reply #15 on: 16:31:17, 20/10/20 »
As I wrote earlier, I truly used to believe that my expensive coat was necessary, but I am now happy with the decision I've made. It was also part of my drive to keep my rucksack weight low and for those things that I may need quickly to be easily to hand. I now secure my waterproof coat on the top of my rucksack, its rolled up and held there with an elastic strap. I slide my rainskirt in behind my rucksack backpad, if it starts to rain that usually goes on first, it only takes a few seconds. I then lower my bag to the floor and my rain coat is there directly in front of me. I used to keep my waterproof coat inside my bag but it was always such a faff having to take it off and undoing two straps and a cord to get at it.

Z3man

« Reply #16 on: 16:41:37, 20/10/20 »
Of course, you could choose look at your subject differently and maybe come to the conclusion that spending so much on a waterproof is not really necessary. I would prefer to argue that during the course of a two-week hike, for example, how often does it really rain? Unless you are really unlucky I would suggest that in reality we tend to hike a lot more in dry periods than we hike in wet ones.

I bought a Paramo Alta 2 a few years ago because at the time I truly believed that rain was going to be my number one difficulty but these days I think very differently. My own view is that wind is my number one problem, so for me my go-to choice of clothing and my most important item of clothing is my windproof jacket. My 'waterproof' choice is a cheapo coat, and a cheap poncho back up, to only be used if I ever need a double waterproof layer to help me to stay dry.

My last memory of rain was on one day only when hiking the Two Moors Way in 2019, the rest of the nine days it didn't rain.

Understand what you are saying, i use my windproof quite a lot.

I live in the North East and we can sometimes get some pretty harsh winters up here. I have been working from home since March and it looks like i will be until at least next March, so i want to get out walking as much as possible this winter, otherwise i am going to be stuck indoors a heck of a lot. So i want to make sure i have all the right gear in case we get a harsh winter.

Sorry i cant post a link where i can get the Lhotse for £200.

It is from Go Outdoors on their For Sale rack, i was very surprised to see it that cheap, their reductions aren't usually that big. It is the only one they have going cheap and it is my size as well, a small.

All the other sizes, medium and above are still on the normal rack at about £350.00.

Whats strange though, is that Go Outdoors don't even list the Lhotse on their website.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:46:30, 20/10/20 »
Sorry i cant post a link where i can get the Lhotse for £200.

It is from Go Outdoors on their For Sale rack, i was very surprised to see it that cheap, their reductions aren't usually that big. It is the only one they have going cheap and it is my size as well, a small.

All the other sizes, medium and above are still on the normal rack at about £350.00.

Whats strange though, is that Go Outdoors don't even list the Lhotse on their website.

Thanks for explaining. A lucky find.

Z3man

« Reply #18 on: 16:50:03, 20/10/20 »
It is, in fact i am going to give my evening walk a miss tonight and go and buy the Lhotse before someone else does. It may have gone already, it was Saturday when i saw it.

If i decide not to keep it i can always take it back, so hopefully i will be a Lhotse owner by about 7pm tonight.
« Last Edit: 17:03:05, 20/10/20 by Z3man »

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:09:19, 20/10/20 »
I agree it's the DWR that has a shorter life at wear/contact points. Gore is good stuff, usually quite durable, I've still got a jacket in use (probably now just showerproof) from the 1980's. I've had a number of jackets over the years, and now my 'winter wet'  jacket is Paramo. I think the ME Lhotse is pretty high end, it should be fine  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 17:15:28, 20/10/20 »
It is, in fact i am going to give my evening walk a miss tonight and go and buy the Lhotse before someone else does. It may have gone already, it was Saturday when i saw it.

If i decide not to keep it i can always take it back, so hopefully i will be a Lhotse owner by about 7pm tonight.

Best price for a Small Lhotse that I have seen elsewhere is £249.99 from Gaynors in Ambleside.
https://www.gaynors.co.uk/mens-c4/waterproof-jackets-c25/mens-lhotse-jacket-p7854
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Z3man

« Reply #21 on: 17:22:19, 20/10/20 »

Best price for a Small Lhotse that I have seen elsewhere is £249.99 from Gaynors in Ambleside.
https://www.gaynors.co.uk/mens-c4/waterproof-jackets-c25/mens-lhotse-jacket-p7854 [nofollow]

The one's in Gaynors are last years model, as probably is the one i am about to buy from Go outdoors.

There was was a new version for 2020 made with a more breathable version of Gortex Pro, and a few minor modification as well.

veracocha

« Reply #22 on: 19:12:54, 20/10/20 »
I was in Gaynors a few weeks ago looking for the Lhotse they had advertised at £249.00 but they said that was an on-line deal only for last years model. I purchased the new one in Acid for £360.00 there and then. I was so annoyed the very day before ascending Dove Crag in another brand new Gore-tex jacket and getting soaked completely through with sweat I thought sod it and bought it anyway. My next day up Place Fell in the Lhotse was a pleasure and I think it had a lot to do with having pit-zips and the other options. Too soon to see if the backpack had any ill-effect but so far so good.

Z3man

« Reply #23 on: 19:22:42, 20/10/20 »
I decide not to get the Lhotse jacket from Go Outdoors, there was something not quite right about it.

It looked a bit second hand, when i compared it to the other Lhotse jackets in store it looked a bit faded and washed out, it also had three marks on it that didn't come off when rubbing them with a wet finger.

I was definitely an older model than the other ones in store, i think it could have actually been two versions old as i think the other versions in store were last years model anyway. The shop assistant said it came from their Stoke store that had to shift stock about due to storm damage. The link to Gaynors above is last years model, but the one i went to see tonight was definitely an older version than that.

Hope this makes sense.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:50:26, 22/10/20 »
I terms of wetting out under straps - I wouldn't worry about it with Goretex or other membrane jackets.
Goretex is still waterproof even with the face fabric wetted out. It's just not very breathable in those areas. But then nothing is breathable under a strap like that anyway.

It matters more with Paramo because Paramo isn't inherently waterproof. Paramo relies heavily on beading on the surface to prevent the liner becoming overwhelmed. You can easily push water through a Paramo as anyone with Paramo trousers, who has sat on a wet seat, can attest to.

Z3man

« Reply #25 on: 19:15:46, 22/10/20 »
Thank for the info Neil, all sounds very logical so i won't worry too much about the straps any more.

I was looking at buying some Paramo trousers a few weeks ago, but when i tried them on i didn't like them. Glad i didn't like them and buy them after what you have just said.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 19:49:08, 22/10/20 »
I received an Alpkit magazine through the post today and one whole page is devoted to 'How to reproof your waterproof.' It suggests that high-wear areas are not a problem but they are a problem if you try for a quick fix.

The article basically says, 1) run your washing machine empty to rinse out any old detergent, 2) then wash your jacket in the machine using Tech Wash, 3) then wash it again using a reproofing liquid, 4) let your jacket dry naturally and then in a few days you and jacket will be "so happy together" and your friends will be 'amazed!'

If my wife found out that I used 'her' washing machine for 3 cycles for one coat I'd soon be flat on my back!  :o

I have no idea if this is good advice or not but its from Alpkit so it must be true I suppose?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 20:06:13, 22/10/20 »
That seems pretty standard advice for reproofing GWM. I did it a few times successfully on my ancient Berghaus waterproof. Eventually it started to delaminates and some seams were failing, so reproofing wasn’t an option. Not too bad for 15 years of use, both for hiking in hills and as an everyday coat with huge pockets.

Z3man

« Reply #28 on: 20:09:11, 22/10/20 »
I received an Alpkit magazine through the post today and one whole page is devoted to 'How to reproof your waterproof.' It suggests that high-wear areas are not a problem but they are a problem if you try for a quick fix.

The article basically says, 1) run your washing machine empty to rinse out any old detergent, 2) then wash your jacket in the machine using Tech Wash, 3) then wash it again using a reproofing liquid, 4) let your jacket dry naturally and then in a few days you and jacket will be "so happy together" and your friends will be 'amazed!'

If my wife found out that I used 'her' washing machine for 3 cycles for one coat I'd soon be flat on my back!  :o

I have no idea if this is good advice or not but its from Alpkit so it must be true I suppose?
Seems to be good advice, similar to what i heave read on other sites.

It is just the same as how i wash and proof my Paramo now.

I didn't realise you could treated Gortex the same way until i started reading up on it, i always thought you couldn't wash and reproof Gotrex.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:16:56, 22/10/20 »

I didn't realise you could treated Gortex the same way until i started reading up on it, i always thought you couldn't wash and reproof Gotrex.
It is not the Goretex being reproofed, but the outer layer of the coat to restore it water repellency.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy