Author Topic: Book Recommendations  (Read 6877 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Book Recommendations
« Reply #60 on: 11:47:23, 13/04/20 »
I give up ninthace, put me out of my misery. I can't think of a theatre company whose initials are NSC that did the Tempest last year.
You are right, it felt like last year,  Mrs N says it was before that and it was the RSC, I beg their pardon.  Simon Russell Beale was in it.  This one https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/nov/18/the-tempest-review-simon-russell-beale-rsc  When you get to my degree of venerability, all the years feel the same.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 11:52:31, 13/04/20 »
Thanks, it was just niggling me that I couldn't place it.
Some Shakespeare performances can feel like they drag from 1 year in to the next.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 12:16:27, 13/04/20 »
NSC - New Shakespeare Company, that takes me back a few years, enjoyed several of their productions at Regent's Park, I particularly remember seeing Sheridan Smith perform the roles of Hermia (Midsummer night's dream) and  Bianca (Taming of the Shrew) for the NSC, also if memory serves correct remember Christopher Biggins being in the same production of Taming. 
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 12:18:53, 13/04/20 »
NSC - New Shakespeare Company, that takes me back a few years, enjoyed several of their productions at Regent's Park, I particularly remember seeing Sheridan Smith perform the roles of Hermia (Midsummer night's dream) and  Bianca (Taming of the Shrew) for the NSC, also if memory serves correct remember Christopher Biggins being in the same production of Taming.
Now I do like the Taming of the Shrew - more my level.  Call me a Philistine but the liked the Burton/Taylor version
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 12:29:15, 13/04/20 »
NSC - New Shakespeare Company, that takes me back a few years, enjoyed several of their productions at Regent's Park
They changes their name a few years ago to drop the Shakespeare bit, which some people didn't approve of, they are now Regents Park Theatre. They also stopped producing Midsummer Nights Dream every year which at one time would have been like shooting the ravens at the Tower of London.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 12:39:04, 13/04/20 »
Now I do like the Taming of the Shrew - more my level.  Call me a Philistine but the liked the Burton/Taylor version
I too like the Taming of the Shrew and have been fortunate enough to see many performances of it over the years.  I think my favourite live performance though had to be at the Leeds Playhouse,  Nicola McAuliffe played Katherina and Brian Protheroe - Petruchio. 
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 12:57:38, 13/04/20 »
Bringing together 2 strands of this thread, one of my favourite times in the theatre was Verdi's Macbeth
http://www.planethugill.com/2017/07/rethinking-early-verdi-gripping-1847.html
Stephen Gadd and Kate Ladner as Mr & Mrs M.
The moment I realised that the witches were doing the dance from Byonce's All The Single Ladies was a particular highlight.

Rigel

« Reply #67 on: 23:13:57, 13/04/20 »
For me, it's Shakespeare's Henry V. Brian Blessed's ultimatum was something else. And his attempts  at Mt. Everest without oxygen were commendable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKHihAPr2Rc

Vincent82

« Reply #68 on: 12:35:29, 23/04/20 »
Has anyone read McFarlane? I've just started but it looks good.

By other authors, I'd recommend Wild, and The Living Mountain.
« Last Edit: 19:34:06, 23/04/20 by Vincent82 »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 18:47:25, 23/04/20 »
I can assure you that a ladies book club is a gathering of highly intellectual, discerning and knowledgeable women enjoying in depth discussion and strong well informed opinions on the book currently under review in which prosecco has no part.

No doubt why I've never been invited to join one

;D There are some out there that include both  :D
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 18:52:26, 23/04/20 »
And for the romantically inclined or those who have a "thing" for big hills, know what I mean big, nudge, nudge, say no more, phwoar - look at the contours on that.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1574337.The_Man_Who_Married_a_Mountain
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 18:53:46, 23/04/20 »
Just finished Mountain Days and Bothy Nights.

About to start Bothy Tales.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #72 on: 18:55:29, 23/04/20 »
As anyone read McFarlane? I've just started but it looks good.
I have read some of his stuff but don't warm to them. People buy them for me but I wouldn't spend my own money.

Just finished Mountain Days and Bothy Nights.
About to start Bothy Tales.
Love those, I think I got them on your recommendation Richard.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 22:06:35, 23/04/20 »
;D There are some out there that include both  :D
I wonder how you know that April!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #74 on: 18:37:49, 28/04/20 »
After all the recommendations on here I bought The Salt Path when I saw it in Tescos last week. Really enjoying it. :) Thanks

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy