Author Topic: Wild camping  (Read 4050 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Wild camping
« on: 17:42:14, 21/07/20 »
Saw this on another site and I know a few of you on here wild camp responsibly. Hope this doesn't stop you!
https://www.cumbria.police.uk/News/News-Articles/2020/July/Police-and-partners-tackle-wild-camping-in-West-Cumbria.aspx

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild camping
« Reply #1 on: 17:50:46, 21/07/20 »
Thanks for the link RR  :) It mentions camping in the valleys or near the reservoirs and people using campervans. I doubt we would get caught up on the fells so this wouldn't stop us but it is food for thought! We will have to make sure we pitch as late as possible and leave early too.
Hate will never win

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:31:01, 21/07/20 »
Just reflecting on this article and I am thinking the Lake District National Park (named as partners here with the police) need to be careful they don't frighten away people who still spend money in the Lake District although they might do a bit of wild camping up on the fells. We can always go to Scotland and spend our money there instead.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:26:36, 21/07/20 »
Just read that, to get the landowners permission, how do we do that it's unrealistic
Maybe they should have information about who owns what land, then I would gladly pay to camp if given permission after contacting the landowners, we need a wild camping  directory  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Little Foot

« Reply #4 on: 20:45:18, 21/07/20 »
Just read that, to get the landowners permission, how do we do that it's unrealistic
Maybe they should have information about who owns what land, then I would gladly pay to camp if given permission after contacting the landowners, we need a wild camping  directory  :)

What we need is a protest to make the law the same as in Scotland.  O0 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:08:59, 21/07/20 »
Maybe they should have information about who owns what land,
"They" do.  It is the same "they" that knows who owns the property you are living in.  Mind you "they" are not infallible - thers is a 5ft br 2 ft patch in my drive that "they" are not sure about.
That said, "they" are a bit slow in coming up with an answer when it is 8 at night and all you have is a grd ref. I suspect "they" might want paying for revealing the contents of their carefully managed database too.

Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:21:34, 21/07/20 »
Fine to build a gondola up the side of a mountain, but they persecute responsible wild campers who do no harm and leave no trace.  >:(
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:40:24, 21/07/20 »
Fine to build a gondola up the side of a mountain, but they persecute responsible wild campers who do no harm and leave no trace.  >:(
There's money in gondolas - tickets, B&Bs, meals etc.  How much did the landowner make out of your last wildcamp?  The wild camps that make the press are an expense to the landowner in terms of daamage etc.  The problem is framing legislation that lets bona fide campers camp but stops the rabble as it is only after the event you can be sure which is which.
Solvitur Ambulando

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:49:12, 21/07/20 »

What we need is a protest to make the law the same as in Scotland.  O0
Wouldn't that be something  :)

O0

That said, "they" are a bit slow in coming up with an answer when it is 8 at night and all you have is a grd ref.

So you agree its unrealistic then  :D

There's money in gondolas - tickets, B&Bs, meals etc.  How much did the landowner make out of your last wildcamp?  The wild camps that make the press are an expense to the landowner in terms of daamage etc.  The problem is framing legislation that lets bona fide campers camp but stops the rabble as it is only after the event you can be sure which is which.
The local businesses benefit from us wild camping, when we spend money in cafes, outdoor shops, etc.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:09:48, 21/07/20 »

The local businesses benefit from us wild camping, when we spend money in cafes, outdoor shops, etc.
  I am sure they do.  However, they cannot be differentiated from other customers and I suspect that, by the very nature of the activity, wild campers will arrive better organised and better equipped with all they need in the way of consunables.  Playing Devil's Advocate, if you compare yourself objectively with Joe Tourist - who is likely to spend more per visit and who is the most profitable?  Wild campers are seen as low income source and a potential nuisance.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:19:13, 21/07/20 »
if you compare yourself objectively with Joe Tourist - who is likely to spend more per visit and who is the most profitable? 

Do you think the National Parks should only be accessible for those that have a lot of money to spend?

Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:28:24, 21/07/20 »
Do you think the National Parks should only be accessible for those that have a lot of money to spend?
No, not all.  Read what I write objectively - I am on your side.  I am pointing out the thinking of the "powers that be".  True wild camping is not a seen as a major income source whereas the nuisance caused by people camping unofficially and leaving a mess is an expense and is making headlines.  Thus it is easy to act against one at the expense of the other
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:46:22, 21/07/20 »
I am pointing out the thinking of the "powers that be".  True wild camping is not a seen as a major income source whereas the nuisance caused by people camping unofficially and leaving a mess is an expense and is making headlines.

The people who leave a mess in valleys or next to lakes are not "true wild campers" they are leaving litter just the same as the like-minded ignorant day trippers do. The day trippers leave just as much or even more mess behind because they are in greater numbers.

I am pleased you are on our side btw  :)

We do spend a lot of money in the Lake District, we try to buy all of our gear in the shops there but they don't always have what we want and we have to buy online.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:55:07, 21/07/20 »
The people who leave a mess in valleys or next to lakes are not "true wild campers" they are leaving litter just the same as the like-minded ignorant day trippers do. The day trippers leave just as much or even more mess behind because they are in greater numbers.

We do spend a lot of money in the Lake District, we try to buy all of our gear in the shops there but they don't always have what we want and we have to buy online.
Yeah we spent £500 one day on 2 rucksacks  :o

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 00:02:47, 22/07/20 »

I hear what you say and about day trippers and it is all true.  Like you, the authorities want to eliminate the nuisance.  The easiest way is to move "campers" on and the easiest way to do that is to use the existing law.  "Do you have permission?  No?  Move on or you're nicked"  The problem is that bona fide wild campers may get caught in the crossfire.  That said, I suspect if you observe the normal practice of pitching above the intake wall, arriving late, leaving early, leaving no trace, not drawing  attention (might be a good idea to leave the drone behind for a while), then you will not be bothered by any action to get rid of nuisance campers.  At the end of the day, the law has nor changed, just the enforcement thereof, and real wild campers are not the ones they are after.
As for spending money in the area.  That is very laudable but there is nothing in the balance sheet that will differentiate your purchases from any other visitor sale.  I suspect sales to wild campers and seasoned walkers are a spit in the bucket in this regard.  I know I spent relatively little on new gear inside the Park as I usually had all I needed and arrived with it.  I also tended to buy my consumables beforehand and never used accommodation in the Park.  I think in my case the major beneficiaries was the NT whose car parks I used to justify my annual membership and the pubs I finished walks at.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy