Author Topic: Scotland - Looking for some walks  (Read 3743 times)

GrumpyPhart

Scotland - Looking for some walks
« on: 12:44:01, 29/03/21 »
Just weighing up some possibilities for walks in Scotland when circumstances permit.
Has anyone walked from Spean Bridge to Loch Ossian or vice versa. The map shows what appears to be a reasonable route passing through the Lairig Leacach with accommodation available at either end. I'd be glad of any feedback.

Patrick1

Re: Scotland - Looking for some walks
« Reply #1 on: 12:58:19, 29/03/21 »
Yes, its a good route. My copy of "Scottish Hill Tracks" says its an old drove route called the "Thieves' Road" - referring, I understand, to cattle rustlers heading back to Argyll from the Cairngorm area. We did it from Corrour railway station back to Spean bridge, with a wild camp in the Lairig Leacach halfway, but that was with the whole family so we weren't pushing ourselves distance-wise. There's a bothy in the middle of the Lairig Leacach as well. The path from there to the end of Loch Trieg (the section marked as path not track on the OS map) is rather boggy in places, but perfectly passable. Enjoy!

GrumpyPhart

« Reply #2 on: 13:09:47, 29/03/21 »
Yes, its a good route. My copy of "Scottish Hill Tracks" says its an old drove route called the "Thieves' Road" - referring, I understand, to cattle rustlers heading back to Argyll from the Cairngorm area. We did it from Corrour railway station back to Spean bridge, with a wild camp in the Lairig Leacach halfway, but that was with the whole family so we weren't pushing ourselves distance-wise. There's a bothy in the middle of the Lairig Leacach as well. The path from there to the end of Loch Trieg (the section marked as path not track on the OS map) is rather boggy in places, but perfectly passable. Enjoy!

Thanks a lot for that. Most useful and a nice picture. I'll definitely give it some thought. There also appears to be a route from Loch Ossian YH to the road to Rannoch Station as a possible extension

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:55:47, 29/03/21 »
A good area to explore.  Twenty years or so ago my wife and I took our bikes through from Dalwhinnie to Fort William a trail that takes in some of what you wish to travel over. 
Although we carry a light tent for our trips it is possible to stay in Bothies during this walk. For us at Culra, Staoineag and passing by the one mentioned at Meanach. Coming in from your start point there is a bothy in the Lairig Leacach just below Stob Ban that I have used after coming over the Grey Corries.
I think that the connection from Corrour to Rannoch Station will be using the old Road to the Isles....never used it personally but my daughter came this way during a trip from Skye following the way of the trails used by the Drovers heading down to the markets further South.

Sevenup

« Reply #4 on: 16:32:05, 29/03/21 »
I walked from Spean Bridge to Corrour station just before lockdown. Lovely 2 days in clear cold conditions. Dog struggled at night in -6c. Train to Spean Bridge and a trot to the bothy in the Lairig Leacach. Downhill next morning was fairly boggy. Starts off in a rough Landrover track that deteriorates. I crossed the river at one point and used what is, effectively a sheep track (east side). Marginally drier than the side I started off from the bothy. I met some guys who came uphill from Loch Trieg who said they were waist deep in bog at times.

Absolutely stunning walk with nobody else around for hours. Loch Ossian not far from Corrour. Plan to go back when things open up and get across to Dalwhinnie and beyond

GrumpyPhart

« Reply #5 on: 19:19:23, 30/03/21 »
Might be giving this one some serious thought later in the year. Some have mentioned the boggy section. Can anyone give any idea as to how boggy it is? How lng is the boggy bit?Thanks

Sevenup

« Reply #6 on: 19:36:04, 30/03/21 »
On the west side of the Lairig the path breaks down quite a few times through low lying sections that look like they might flood when the river is in spate and gaiters are necessary. I found myself knee deep and took the decision to cross to the other side. Path much more single track and descent to riverside nearer the Loch got a bit boggy too. Both sides have their merits but bog/marshy stretches are just part of it. On the side I did the boggy bit was relatively short. I started on the west side and it was boggy at intervals (but not unusually so) for around a mile. Where the path got close to the river and was low lying was a couple of hundred yards. I was up to my backside a couple of times. I was carrying a pack and had the dog and it was a pain to choose a line and hold on to him because sheep were around. I felt that the east side didn’t undulate quite so much as the west side looked to do. I did Spean bridge to Corrour so all down hill from above the bothy.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:10:38, 30/03/21 »
I don't know the area at all but it was fun looking it up on Bing Maps and following the routes suggested.

Patrick1

« Reply #8 on: 13:46:39, 31/03/21 »
Might be giving this one some serious thought later in the year. Some have mentioned the boggy section. Can anyone give any idea as to how boggy it is? How lng is the boggy bit?Thanks
Its hard to quantify this, isn't it?! Yes, its a bit boggy in the middle section. From my own point of view I'd say enough to possibly be wary of it after a very wet spell, but not otherwise a significant problem. We did it in a not particularly dry Autumn and found a fairly clear path throughout, with boggy bits which occasionally required a bit of skirting round. But no-one landed in anything significantly deeper than their boots, as far as I remember!

GrumpyPhart

« Reply #9 on: 18:26:05, 31/03/21 »
As I shall be travelling solo I would hate to disappear into a black glutinous slime :'(

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 09:17:18, 01/04/21 »
As I shall be travelling solo I would hate to disappear into a black glutinous slime :'(
Can you disappear if there is no-one there to see you?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

GrumpyPhart

« Reply #11 on: 16:48:46, 01/04/21 »
Has anyone stayed at Loch Ossian Hostel. When I go to the website the only option seems to be for private rooms at £225 a throw.

Anyone know any different?

GrumpyPhart

« Reply #12 on: 21:47:57, 01/04/21 »
I managed to contact the hostel and they say that from 28th May they are operating some sort of rent-a-hostel whereby`the hostel is only available to groups with multi-occupant rooms at £200+ per night.

Sevenup

« Reply #13 on: 23:36:37, 01/04/21 »
We’re you planning on walking further? I wonder if there’s accommodation at Rannoch, Bridge of Orchy or Tyndrum. There are only a few trains a day passing through Corrour but an alternative to Loch Ossian hostel could be to stop in one of the towns/villages on the line.

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:18:59, 02/04/21 »
If dependent on trains to arrive and depart to/from a walk.
Maybe consider one of several walks. Kingussie arrival and an Aviemore departure when walking the Feshie-Geldie-Lairig Ghru route.
Also consider an May or June period for this since the snow tends to linger in the Lairig. The lingering winter does not suite every walkers plans perhaps.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy