Author Topic: Easiest route up Cat Bells?  (Read 13067 times)

Hawkeye

Easiest route up Cat Bells?
« on: 11:23:40, 08/08/16 »
I'm going up Cat Bells tomorrow, taking a teenager, a 9 year old and a baby in a sling.

What's the easiest route up please? Also how difficult are the scrambly parts?

I've done various mountains, the 3 peaks etc. I've read a little about Cat Bells and it appears the route from Littletown would be best, but i'd like somebody who has done it to give advice if possible please.

Thanks so much for your help.  :) 

« Last Edit: 11:31:27, 08/08/16 by Hawkeye »

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Re: Easiest route up Cat Bells?
« Reply #1 on: 18:50:45, 08/08/16 »
I'd suggest parking at the Keswick end of the fell, on the small car park at NY 24692 21182.

Then just follow the obvious path up. No real scrambling to speak of on the route, a bit steep and craggy at the end but that's it. you should easily reach the summit in well under an hour. Carry on over the the top to Hause gate and take the steep path down on your left, then left again at the bottom to return to your car.
Piece o' cake! Enjoy.   O0 

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:55:07, 08/08/16 »
I would agree with the above but you can also include the ferry over from Keswick if you like.

Make sure that the kids know that there are 2 tops and you are heading for the 2nd one.

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:32:38, 08/08/16 »
I did the route up from little town first a few years back.  Followed by the more traditional route up from the Keswick side last year.

The littletown one is easier (from memory) with the final climb up, not as steep as from the Keswick side.

That said, if you're doing a round, i'd rather ascend the final steep bit from the Keswick side than descend it!
« Last Edit: 21:37:03, 08/08/16 by domtheone »
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

Hawkeye

« Reply #4 on: 23:28:35, 09/08/16 »
Thanks everyone for the advice. We had a great day and are looking forward to some more peaks in the future. I'm certain my eldest nephew could manage the highest peaks in the lakes without a problem - he was like a mountain goat. My 6 month old son enjoyed it too - sticking his tongue out to catch the rain when the clouds gathered.  ;D

wildCAMPER

« Reply #6 on: 15:56:54, 09/11/20 »

Just adding a bit more info to this thread for anyone who stumbles across it wanting to find out more information on Catbells (I know it's a popular walk) so here is a bit more info on my favourite Catbells walking route.

Illustrated photo showing my best & preferred walk route for Catbells:

Map of the Catbells walk:

And some various photos en-route to the summit of Catbells:

If you've never done a Catbells walk near Keswick before and fancy finding out more information - I have done a blog post on this particular Catbells walk - visit https://www.hikingphotographer.uk/2020/11/catbells-walk-route-best-nearkeswick.html

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy