Author Topic: One Single Day Walk. Which would you choose?  (Read 4462 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: One Single Day Walk. Which would you choose?
« Reply #45 on: 13:00:57, 01/04/21 »

Carnedd Llewelyn from Gerlan, everytime.Following the ridge past Drosgl, Bera Bach and Yr Aryg, never fails to impress, and when you turn right onwards, towards Foel Grach.This has to be my favorite walk, that's easily achievable in a day.

That looks like a lovely route. Never walked there either.  O0

What route do you take back down?

Can you come down Braich Ty Du, then pass through via the water works?
« Last Edit: 13:10:48, 01/04/21 by BuzyG »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 13:01:06, 01/04/21 »

It is worth going through the "Fat Mans Agony" up to the foot of the pitch - it is often rigged with a temporary handline by parties supporting the Bob Graham Round which makes it much easier. Also plenty of people rope up on it (I have too) and are happy to provide a top rope for additional parties.

Not for me - soloed it once, when I was young and foolhardy; one of the scariest experiences of my life. That ledge can be a very lonely place.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 13:06:17, 01/04/21 »

It is worth going through the "Fat Mans Agony" up to the foot of the pitch - it is often rigged with a temporary handline by parties supporting the Bob Graham Round which makes it much easier. Also plenty of people rope up on it (I have too) and are happy to provide a top rope for additional parties.

Yes my son and I gave Broadstands a miss on a damp day. Even though we had a rope and both climb a little.  If I ever get there on a sunny day I will take another look.

Eyelet

« Reply #48 on: 13:38:11, 01/04/21 »
I agree it needs to be dry - if it is damp and greasy, it certainly needs to be avoided by using Lord's Rake.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 17:18:22, 02/04/21 »
When you eventually reach the summit of Lewellyn, after a good hard slog, over very easy ground, of mainly grass, and the occasional boulderfield, you are then in a great dilemma, of which route to take back to civilisation.

For the really adventurous fellow, you can ascend the very steep but perfectly safe hillside, from Foel Grachs summit, down into Cwm Caseg, it looks impossibly steep, and to the untrained eye, who have never tried it, it looks suicidal, but its easy peasy, your inside the tiny Cwm, in less than half an hour.

Then there's, the rocky jaunt from Lewellyn, down the steep path to Yr Elen's summit, and then down the side of Yr Elen, back towards Gerlan.
Did this route last year, and the erosion of the Elen path, on its western flanks, is becoming really challenging stuff, a pair of walking poles for balance is not out of the question, and in full winter, no thank's.

Route three, and a real peach of a finally to a cracking day out, is to ascend the path towards Yr Elen, but take a left turn at the water source, and follow the river down into the valley of the Black ladders.

You rarely encounter anybody, in this part of the Carneddau, and the sense of solitude and being alone, the only person for miles, is supreme.

The last route, and one reserved for the long day's of Summer, is to continue from the summit of lewellyn, and head for the 1000m peak of Carnedd Dafydd.
From Dafydd's summit cairn, you can do a continuation of the Cwm Llafar horseshoe, back to Gerlan.

Gerlan is a magical focal point for some pretty amazing walking possibilities, and that's why its my favourite location, because you rarely encounter any other walkers.

No noisy kids, crazy queue to reach the summit, or greasy spoon cafe, just you and nature at its wildest.
« Last Edit: 17:28:18, 02/04/21 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 20:05:26, 02/04/21 »
Yes, a pleasant area for a day out. In a different age from a camp close to the A5 road I went by a trail/path and dropped by a path into the Cwm Eigiau, met a military guy in the Cwm...we both had the same plans. Ascended Amphitheatre Buttress, mostly scrambling on pleasant rock.  Then over a couple of Carnedds etc. to return to the Ogwen area. A very enjoyable day and as you say not more than a couple of other folks out walking. July 1972.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy