Author Topic: CHA memories, anybody?  (Read 26930 times)

Monica4727

Re: CHA memories, anybody?
« Reply #30 on: 20:43:30, 23/02/21 »
Wow, I’ve only just seen this post from 2017. Yes! I went to Stanley Ghyll house as a 14 y.o. ...in the 1960s. my dad had died very suddenly and mum took the 3 of us on this walking holiday. I have a photo somewhere of me sitting outside plotting the days route. I absolutely loved it!! We always went to the seaside with Dad and mum but that would have been too sad. We also went to Derbyshire the next year . I’d love a similar holiday now but I just say, I became a competent mountain climber, a very competent rock climber and I’m still exceptionally fit and made my career writing about fitness in a national Sunday newspaper. It all started at the CHA!

Carole E

« Reply #31 on: 10:01:29, 01/03/21 »

Just looking through an old photo album, my first photo was of a Mr Knowles at Abbeville CHA in Cromer, he had his owl, Solomon on his shoulder, had another baby owl,Snowy, who lived in his room, but he took Solly out on walks, and had us kids looking for dead mice for Solly's lunch.This would be in the late 50's.
My family *(the Cleasbys) went on lots of CHA holidays, and had wonderful times.

John Bolton

« Reply #32 on: 15:44:29, 08/04/21 »
The  CHA (& HF)   1956 – 1973 
Notes by John P Bolton   Secretary at Bray 1958 and Onich 1964 & 65, and General Committee Member c1966-73
These were rival similar organisations, CHA based in Manchester & HF (Holiday Fellowship) in London with guest houses throughout UK. They also offered overseas holiday destinations using block-booked hotels   Both were set up in early c 1900  by same man T A Leonard to offer holidays to Lancashire mill workers, but with a wide client base by 1950s.   They also supported a large number of local walking groups, often joint CHA/HF.  During my time CHA had an identity crisis  and changed from the original Cooperative Holidays Association  (because it was confused by the public with the retail organisation)  to The C.H.A.,  as on my 1964 Life Membership card;   but only briefly, because of complaints from the Chest & Heart Association;  to the Countrywide Holidays Association as a better alternative than the Countryside Holidays Association, the only other viable name that would retain the initials.
The guest–houses were mainly substantial c 1900 properties with some couple & family rooms, but also dormitory accommodation.  Glaramara in the Lake District was purpose built in the 1930s.  Many were only open for the summer months.  The properties were managed by a formidable team of experienced manageresses supported by young catering staff, and an often very young Secretary who collected outstanding payments, organised transport with local bus companies, and led the A Walks.  Detailed route instructions were provided, but there was little other training, & none in first aid !  The evening activities were organised by a Host & Hostess who also led B & C Walks for the less energetic.
The property portfolio was still expanding in the  1960s,  the Fowey house being added,  coincidentally already carrying the CHA logo on its rain-water heads – the initials of the original owner.
In the 1960s the organisation was run very efficiently from a large house in Fallowfield Manchester by the ‘Secretary’ Frank Wright  (often frank but always right), and his secretary Sonja Goodie, and a committee of about six, elected at annual conferences in various parts of the country – in my time: Edinburgh, Newcastle Wolverhampton, York .
Unfortunately the greater flexibility provided by car ownership & the availability of cheap foreign holidays, led to a declining market for these communal holidays, which together with the cost of required upgrading of the properties led to the closure of the CHA in 2002 .   The HF soldiers on but with a more flexible operational system.
JPB 04.2021

John Bolton

« Reply #33 on: 09:17:14, 13/04/21 »
Further to my post of 08/04/21,
I find that I have Centre Programme leaflets for Ambleside 1956, Kinfauns 1957, Bray 1957 & 1958, Onich 1959, where I led A plus groups for two years, and an undated leaflet for Zermatt.
I also have a comb-bound full set of leaflets for 1971 - fifty years ago, and group photographs of Bray guests for late June to early August 1958. 
all of which could be scanned if of interest.  JPB

Pauline13a

« Reply #34 on: 11:45:44, 13/04/21 »
Hi there
I was completing the Wainwrights last year and I was sure I’d done some of the walks many years before, on CHA holidays in Eskdale mid 60’s, Ambleside 1974, Grasmere Christmas 1984. I wonder how much the programmes might have changed?  In any case I’d still be interested in what you have from 1971.
We also went as a family to Cromer, Hindhead and Whitby, and my parents Jean and Bill Gaskill hosted at other centres.
Best wishes
Pauline Gaskill

rachaelk

« Reply #35 on: 22:15:18, 09/05/21 »
Hi,

Lovely to hear the word 'CHA' mentioned again! I have very fond memories of CHA holidays with my family in the 70s. At first I was a reluctant participant... I can remember pleading with my parents to take us to Butlins instead! But, once there, it was a thoroughly pleasurable experience; meeting folks from all over the world, and taking part in all the fun and activities in the evening. Does anyone remember the packed lunches - 'mountaineers' or 'ordinary'? Always excited to discover what was in your lunchpack (seem to recall 'Kendal Mint Cake' was a regular feature)! A few people have mentioned Fowey, and Westward Ho... does anyone remember 'Rhu' in Scotland? And I think there we stayed at a wonderful location at Perranporth in Cornwall. I remember the houses being beautiful, grand, sometimes windy buildings, with the obligatory table tennis room! Innocent, happy days!

I live near Manchester, and I think the head office was located in Didsbury, quite near the building locals call 'the Toastrack'.

JasonCarroll

« Reply #36 on: 01:44:04, 13/05/21 »
Hi Everyone,
Well I was Assistant Managet at Forestside between 1991 and 1992then made Manager just before Christmas 1992.
Lovely memories of Forestside as all the staff used to live in.
The carpet was a very special carpet and cost a fortune!   The refurbishment was carried out by Sonia Goodie and lots of Parker Knoll furniture.
I was only 21 at the time and remember the staff and guests with great fondness.

The house was  a difficult house to run and always wanted to fight back!   Forestside was also the first property to have ensuite!!  can you believe it and the first property to have a bar/table licence. I always remmber the guests buying a bottle of wine and then marking the bottle for us to store lol!

Christmas was always very special and we all took pride in decorating the house for pre christmas celebrations and then christmas was with us!!
In 1992 can you beliee the GA's only got 85 pound a week and live in lol.....

I wish at the time I had also collected the yearly CHA accommodation and walking magazine. Have tried over the years to buy memoribilia on line.

In 1993 I moved to Abbeyville in Cromer, and although a "Basic" house loved it and so close to the sea.  I was then promoted to take on the newly refurbished Moorgate House in Hope. I left in late 1994 to come back in 1999 to close down Abbeyhouse in Whiby.

I will CHA or Countrywide Holidays (Leading the way for walkers)  (Do you remember that strap line??) was still around but sadly CHA changed too little and too late to stop the rot and had too many costly to un houses.  There were 19 when I started.

I went on to run venues for the Council, in 2007 went to work in Sefton as Head of Civic & Mayoral Services and then in April 2013 went to work for the Royal British Legion, before emigrating to Australia in November 2014.
I am now 51 and am starting to track down some CHA history. Please feel free to get in touch.  So many characters (Managers, Staff and guests) who are sadly no longer with us and so many stories lost.

Jason Carroll

JasonCarroll

« Reply #37 on: 01:45:37, 13/05/21 »
Hi,

Lovely to hear the word 'CHA' mentioned again! I have very fond memories of CHA holidays with my family in the 70s. At first I was a reluctant participant... I can remember pleading with my parents to take us to Butlins instead! But, once there, it was a thoroughly pleasurable experience; meeting folks from all over the world, and taking part in all the fun and activities in the evening. Does anyone remember the packed lunches - 'mountaineers' or 'ordinary'? Always excited to discover what was in your lunchpack (seem to recall 'Kendal Mint Cake' was a regular feature)! A few people have mentioned Fowey, and Westward Ho... does anyone remember 'Rhu' in Scotland? And I think there we stayed at a wonderful location at Perranporth in Cornwall. I remember the houses being beautiful, grand, sometimes windy buildings, with the obligatory table tennis room! Innocent, happy days!

I live near Manchester, and I think the head office was located in Didsbury, quite near the building locals call 'the Toastrack'.

JasonCarroll

« Reply #38 on: 01:47:43, 13/05/21 »
As a Manager I still hate the smell of kendal mint cake lol! and "fly pie"  Currant slab...

Perrenporth  was sadly closed as the dining room rafters were close to collapse and the Property Managers at Head Office decided it had to be sold as there was no money in the pot to do repairs.

Still standing to this day!

JasonCarroll

« Reply #39 on: 07:59:09, 15/05/21 »
Hi Everyone!
I have been inspired as an ex CHA Centre/House Manager to put together a new facebook page!
I hope we can add pictures and memories from all over the world.

Just look for Countrywide Holiday Association

(Sorry this forum will not allow me to post the link)

Linda c

« Reply #40 on: 21:08:28, 17/06/21 »
I had been wondering whether there was any history written about CHA and HF holidays, and found this forum.
My sister and I went with our parents to a different centre every year from when I was 7, in 1954. I remember travelling by bus with my mum to CHA Head Office in Didsbury every year on New Year’s Day, when booking opened, to make sure we could get in for our chosen fortnight.
I’m sure those holidays instilled in me a great love of walking, and of the beautiful places in the UK. And
I learned to play table tennis!
And as teenagers we didn’t have to stay with our parents all the time, so enjoyed the company of others of the same age.
Looking back, they were wonderful experiences!

By the way, does anyone remember a CHA or HF centre in Lynmouth?

Ernie Savage

« Reply #41 on: 17:20:44, 10/07/21 »
My father's family were very keen members of the CHA. I first went on a CHA holiday on my own, to Creag Mhor, Onich in 1968. The highlights of the fortnight for me were Beinn Nibheis, but a more difficult route than the usual tourist path and Aonach Eagach. The most memorable character in the party was Albert.
I also have stayed at Stanley Ghyll in Eskdale, a family centre, Loughrigg Brow in Ambleside, Forest Side in Grasmere, Glaramara in Borrowdale, Ackworth House in Filey and Holcombe Hall in Dawlish.

webntweb

« Reply #42 on: 21:55:44, 13/01/22 »
Hi, from 1961 to 1966 I was an apprentice compositor at William Morris Press in Northenden, south Manchester. We typeset and printed annually the individual CHA brochures. I used to read them from cover to cover.I never did go on a CHA holiday but I think the brochures were probably a big part of my starting to walk canal towpaths (which were generally in a pretty poor state in those days - sometimes having to wade through mud where the path had collapsed into the canal). Never did do any serious walking but have spent a lot of my time canal boating - quite often walking for miles along the towpath while somebody else steered the boat.

Robin Rigby

« Reply #43 on: 19:01:55, 05/08/22 »
Find this site so difficult to manoeuvre around as there are too many questions to answer before and after joining.
Such a shame

Robin Rigby

« Reply #44 on: 18:06:25, 07/08/22 »
Lots of cha holidays. First one 1949,last one 1973

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy