Author Topic: Etrex 20 or Etrex 20x..any real world difference looking at the screens ..  (Read 2971 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
I should have suggested this yesterday - it is worth scanning the card with a file recovery program like Rucuva to see if the deleted East England file can be recovered.

I just checked to be sure and the CustomMap I just created can be used North Up or Track Up. I routinely use OS mapping displayed as Track Up, so not seen any problems.

One tip for the test map is to centre the DEFRA map where your GPSr is, that way when you load the map into the device and enabled it, you don't have to scroll to find it. Let us know how you get on.
O0
ps I have just retrieved the OS card from the waste bin and will try your suggestion .
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Eyelet

O0
ps I have just retrieved the OS card from the waste bin and will try your suggestion .

Even if you can't recover the file you can always reformat it and reuse the card!

colin357

Sent you a P.M.

GnP

• Veteran Member

GnP

• Veteran Member
Sent you a P.M.
ps ..I have just bought an Oregon 550 on E Bay for £55 + postage . It is supposed to be as new so I will see ..They appear to sell for all sorts of prices , that is if the asking prices are ever reached ...Do you have any experience using one or have any ideas what reputation they have .?

Eyelet

I have just bought an Oregon 550

I have never used a Garmin touch screen model so can't help, but the GPSrChive site has plenty of information on the Oregon to help you get the best out of it here - the Oregon will apparently support microSD cards up to 32GB (Class 4 to 10), so you should have plenty of room for your mapping. Make sure the device is running the latest device firmware and GPS chip software.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I have a touch screen Montana, but find it too bulky when I'm out walking, so use my Etrex 20. The Montana is now only occasionally used when I'm on searches, and in good weather as it's a pain to operate with gloves on.

Good price for an Oregon though, will look forward to hearing how you get on with it  O0
Where there's a will ...

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
ps ..I have just bought an Oregon 550 on E Bay for £55 + postage . It is supposed to be as new so I will see ..They appear to sell for all sorts of prices , that is if the asking prices are ever reached ...Do you have any experience using one or have any ideas what reputation they have .?
At that price you have very little to lose...
It's all uphill from here.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Sussamb I was hesitant to buy a bigger gps than the 20x l have . I just wish the etrex had a tad bigger screen , but can`t have everything . It is reliable , and light to handle all day in the hand or on a chest strap.
I assume the Montana is bigger than the Oregon . ?

Slowcoach..I thought what you said. I hope it hasnt got any software problems . I think the latest updates were a good few years back now but anyway will see. There is one for sale on Amazon for a few hundred pounds .

Thanks eyelet .!

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
I was hesitant to buy a bigger gps than the 20x l have . I just wish the etrex had a tad bigger screen , but can`t have everything . It is reliable , and light to handle all day in the hand or on a chest strap.

Slowcoach..I thought what you said. I hope it hasnt got any software problems . I think the latest updates were a good few years back now but anyway will see. There is one for sale on Amazon for a few hundred pounds .

I have bought a number of gps units online from Facebook gear exchange sites and never had a problem.
I believe you have some comeback anyway on E bay, but i am sure it will be a genuinely good sale. Let us know how you get on with it.

GnP

• Veteran Member

I have bought a number of gps units online from Facebook gear exchange sites and never had a problem.
I believe you have some comeback anyway on E bay, but i am sure it will be a genuinely good sale. Let us know how you get on with it.

It always pays to look at feedback doesn`t it.

I have bought some great cameras over the years on Ebay and Amazon , with one having a minor fault but when you take into consideration some of the prices then they are well worth it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Sussamb I was hesitant to buy a bigger gps than the 20x l have . I just wish the etrex had a tad bigger screen , but can`t have everything . It is reliable , and light to handle all day in the hand or on a chest strap.

Yes, much. It's mostly used by those who want one GPS both for on a bike or quad bike etc and for walking.
Where there's a will ...

Eyelet

I hope it hasn't got any software problems. I think the latest updates were a good few years back now but anyway will see.

The good news about getting hold of an older model is that the software has virtually all of the bugs ironed out by the time it gets superseded by another Garmin GPS receiver. Your Oregon 550 should now be on firmware version 6.6 and the GPS chip software on 6.0 released in February 2014 and May 2012 respectively. Looking at the information on the GPSrChive site, lots of bugs were fixed in the earlier upgrades over a five year period and with these software versions you should be absolutely fine. O0

GnP

• Veteran Member

The good news about getting hold of an older model is that the software has virtually all of the bugs ironed out by the time it gets superseded by another Garmin GPS receiver. Your Oregon 550 should now be on firmware version 6.6 and the GPS chip software on 6.0 released in February 2014 and May 2012 respectively. Looking at the information on the GPSrChive site, lots of bugs were fixed in the earlier upgrades over a five year period and with these software versions you should be absolutely fine. O0

Sounds positive . !

Something I have noticed with hand helds is that it appears people can like or very much dislike them . As on Amazon there is usually about 10% of buyers who reckon they are clunky and/or slow. A few expect them to act like a gps does in a car .

I felt a tad overwhelmed when I first bought an etrex 10 even though that one is supposed to be entry level . I get it now , and it is a bit like comparing apples to pears if looking at a car gps . I am still pleasantly surprised at finding something else my little  E Trex 20x is capable of .

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
I think that once you have got to grips with an etrex10 ,which was my first unit and i had several as they improved then you have most of what you need for most versions of Garmin  gps units.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy