Author Topic: Who's the member with the best vacuum flask?  (Read 8176 times)

False_Summit_Veteran

Who's the member with the best vacuum flask?
« on: 19:59:37, 10/11/08 »
Or to put it another way, is there a product out there that still keeps the contents hot or at least very warm after 9 hours on a hill.  It was soul destroying on Sunday to find that once again my little thermos offered me nothing more than an iced tea after walking through snow and rain for six hours.

Mike Knipe to thread, I saw on your blog that your vintage model has poured its last brew.   ;)
Any Moel's a goal.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Who's the member with the best vacuum flask?
« Reply #1 on: 21:57:38, 10/11/08 »

Mike Knipe to thread, I saw on your blog that your vintage model has poured its last brew.   ;)

Its left an empty space FSV....  quite a big empty space in the neck of the flask, as it happens. (sniff....) the old flask did sterling service for 31 years, and kept stuff piping hot...  

Number one daughter bought me a new metal flask for my birthday, bless  'er...
I'll be giving it a go on Wednesday and will report back..  

I've started using green tea in my flask, partly because its quite nice cold... but in general, I shudder at stuff thats cold thats supposed to be hot.... tea, coffee, rice pudding, baked beans, custard....  you get the picture, I expect..

And I await the result of your survey with interest.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:42:34, 12/11/08 »
Mike you moving account on your blog of the last days of your vacuum flask brought a tear to my eye  ;D

I was wondering if you were  planning on spreading its ashes over your favourite mountain ala Haystacks/Wainwright

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:59:54, 12/11/08 »
Unfortunately, Ukmase, the flask is made of glass and, I think it could be steel - it certainly went rusty anyway - but the point is, it won't burn, so no prospect of an ashes scatterring service anywhere. I could bury it at sea, I suppose. It could make an ideal home for a small fish, or maybe even a loving couple of crustaceans.
Cosy.
But no, its going to Willington tip.
The new flask seems to work very well....

By the way, I've had enough of scatterring ashes for a while (have another look at the blog!)
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

kkm

« Reply #4 on: 23:26:39, 12/11/08 »
you could always use it as a plant pot - my late dad would plant up absolutely anything (including a toilet.....)   :-)

current flask cost me £3.50 from asda (stainless steel or some other metal). fill at 7, still warm at 3pm  :-)

that said, its only in my car, and not gale force winds/snow/hail etc.......

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #5 on: 07:51:08, 13/11/08 »
I suppose I could leave it in the car, but its getting to that season where a hot cuppa on route is a spiritual ceremony as well as a psychological boost.  I want my brew!

The alternative is the bottle of water I carry.  On Pen y Ghent on Sunday, I didnt have a drink until I was up and over and on to Plover Hill.  Had a drink of water... actually I gulped my bottle of water and got one of those headaches I normally associate with eating ice cream too quick.
Any Moel's a goal.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:56:10, 13/11/08 »
This thread reminded me of a trick we pulled on someone.
As a student I worked in a brickyard. A bloke there got a new flask and kept raving on about it - how it kept the tea so hot and how many cups you could get out of it.

One day he got 6 cups out of it - the next day 7, the next day only 5, the day after that 7 and a half!
on another day he swore the tea was actually hotter in the afternoon than in the morning.

It took him more than a week to twig we had been refilling his flask and/or re-heating his tea and putting it back.  ;D

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #7 on: 15:01:57, 13/11/08 »

The Rock

I think I found the answer.  A little bit expensive though at around 40 quid although they sell in america for $23.  It says it keeps liquids hot for up to 24 hours, that I've got to see.
Any Moel's a goal.

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:56:09, 14/11/08 »
I'm going to buy a flask  today.. but it will be one of the cheap ones...
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #10 on: 18:47:06, 21/02/09 »
Thanks for that link! Have you tried one BLU3?  Are they as good as the thermos marketing dept. would have you believe?
Any Moel's a goal.

BLU3

« Reply #11 on: 20:10:05, 21/02/09 »
No sorry, not used one. We haven't found a flask that'll keep coffee hot all day. I'm wondering if our local camping shop has one. A lorry driver friend was after one too, so may tell him. Cheap enough on there.
Louise

bunter

« Reply #12 on: 20:23:34, 21/02/09 »
Tesco have got some stainless goodens in at the moment in 0.3L, 0.5L (£4) & 1L (£5).

We were in the Pyrenees last week in minus 8 carrying 2 x 0.5 ltr, 1 with soup & the other with mould wine, they did the trick & stayed hot all day. We preheated the flasks with hot water before adding the contents though for good measure.  ;)

titaniumdude

« Reply #13 on: 23:45:50, 26/02/09 »
Rock bottom in Betws y coed  had 1l lifeventure flasks for £8.50 a few weeks back.  Half price and a proper bargain.  Only difference was they didn't come with the spare one touch stopper, but I still navigated the screwtop on a couple of munros last weekend wearing gauntlet mittens.  Kept stuff hot for six hours and the dregs were still drinkabley warm at 9 hours.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy