Author Topic: Decathlon walking boots?  (Read 6291 times)

BLU3

Decathlon walking boots?
« on: 19:04:29, 28/02/09 »
I was in Decathlon last night and thought the walking boots looked ok and at reasonable prices. Has anyone worn them? Any good?
Louise

johnny8b

Re: Decathlon walking boots?
« Reply #1 on: 20:00:16, 28/02/09 »
I was in the French Pyrennees in the summer and it seemed like every other person was wearing 'Quechua' gear, including boots.  I had not heard of it but I susbsequently discovered it is the Decathlon 'own brand'.  It all looked pretty good and also good value.

I did not even know they had any shops in the UK!  :D

BLU3

« Reply #2 on: 20:44:33, 28/02/09 »
I've got Quechua camping gear and fleeces. I love browsing in the Junction 26 M1, Decathlon shop, so full of stuff for every known outdoor activity and they have a sale on lots of hiking stuff at the moment.
Louise

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:36:21, 28/02/09 »
I remember visiting the Surrey Quays Decathlon store in London a few years ago. When I say 'store' I actually mean five warehouse sized units each dedicated to a handful of different sports, the complex was huuuuge! :o
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

johnny8b

« Reply #4 on: 07:39:19, 02/03/09 »
I am going to have to investigate and plan a visit.  I live near Salisbury so as the crow flies a bracnch in France would probably be nearer!

Any excuse for gear shopping..woo hoo

Deerplay

« Reply #5 on: 16:56:59, 02/03/09 »
I have Decathlon boots, the cheapest they do which are more like trainers with some ankle support. They used to be £10 but I think they're about £15 now. I find them perfectly adequate and have done the Dalesway and 3 peaks in them amongst numerous other all day walks. They're not very waterproof but then if you're doing 20 miles in wet conditions nothing is except wellies. Some people spend lots of cash on boots, I never have for regular walking boots which I use year round unless it gets really snowy or icy.

The exception for that is for boots to take crampons which need to be rigid in the sole and definitely don't come cheap, but you don't need those unless you walk in those conditions.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

grahama

« Reply #6 on: 20:00:27, 03/03/09 »
Hi,

Think in general Decathlon gear is good quality for reasonable prices.  I have waterproof trousers, (not used yet but look good quality),  and a pop up tent, (great bit of kit).  Both Quentcha, (spelling ???)  both great, so wouldn't be worried about the quality if for non extreme walking.

Graham
Record of my walks with my lad, and other walks ongoing!!

www.dinneratthetop.blogspot.com

BLU3

« Reply #7 on: 20:31:20, 03/03/09 »
grahama,

We went to Bridlington last summer and there was a water sport competition on, all the entrants had the Quechua pop up tents, so we bought two for the family, they are great, very speedy and eye catching! A French charity gave them to the homeless too. We now need to get rid of the 6 man tent and king size airbeds as they are dinosaur like in comparison.  ;D

Our Decathlon has the advantage that it is next to Ikea and Screwfix, so I'm happy.
Louise

grahama

« Reply #8 on: 20:39:03, 03/03/09 »
Hi Blu3,

Used ours for the first time last Aug in Langdales, two sets of neighbours setting up, you get the picture !  My lad, (14),  insisted on putting it up for a laugh and the looks on the neighbours faces was a treat, when in 5 mins we were up, pegged and unpacked!  Had visions of the two husbands getting an ear bending about having to struggle !!   ???

We got the day tent (tall one as both myself and the lad are 6' tall, with the bedroom liner.  Great bit of kit for a few days base.

As you say, wont be heading back for the olden days   ;)

Graham
Record of my walks with my lad, and other walks ongoing!!

www.dinneratthetop.blogspot.com

BLU3

« Reply #9 on: 20:49:41, 03/03/09 »
We have the 2 seconds xl 3 tent and standard base with bedroom insert, so much better than the bigger tent, used for 1 night in the garden and put away! :-[ No idea how long the tents will last but we're happy with them. We'll be camping near Hadrian's wall  in July.
Louise

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy