Author Topic: Sat Nav  (Read 759 times)

al

Sat Nav
« on: 08:29:48, 14/03/09 »
I would love feed back from people who have used the sat nav system.How accurate it was,what problems they found, if any,did anyone ever rely on it completely,even if you did take your compass and map with you. Well you would would'nt you. ^-^ ^-^
                                     AL

kkm

Re: Sat Nav
« Reply #1 on: 11:15:25, 14/03/09 »
mr kkm uses a hand held hp, with the maps on it (its a bit tooo technological for me so thats why it's mr kkm who uses it). we took it with us on the pennine way, and only got it out 3 times, when we were a bit lost....it took about 5 minutes to find us, and we were not usually more than 100 or so yards off track.  used it on a day walk, again, more as a back up than anything else. 

In all honesty, it is more of a comfort blanket than to replace maps and books - its nice to know that if something should happen we could give our location with some accuracy.  there's also the powering issues.  we have a solar charger, but i dont thing it was that successful.

hope this helps :-)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:22:35, 16/03/09 »
I have to agree with kkm. I have a 'live map GPS' (Road Angel Navigator 7000) with Memory Map and apart from finding the start of walks (villages are so much harder than hills I find  ;) ) it's usually dragged out only occasionally. Mainly to make sure I am where I think I am or deciding to vary the route a bit.

My GPS lasts 5.5 hours max, 4 typical, so I have to carry spare battery charging units. Not a massive burden but battery life on a unit like mine is often short. That said the live maps give you more flexibility than an arrow saying go this way.

A further thing to bare in mind is that batteries generally don't like cold temperatures very much and so lose charge more quickly. Also you'd be in a bit of state if you dropped it and it broke if you relied on GPS alone. You can't say that of a map and compass.

I was going to say that I use GPS more than a map, but I refer to the A4 map section I print out much more than the GPS.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:59:59, 16/03/09 »
I recently acquired an Active 10 Satmap and have now done a few walks with it. It's fairly idiot proof, but saying that it depends on the idiot using it. The battery life was fairly good for me - I did 2 1/2 walks with it, using the powersave mode - i.e I didn't have it on all the time but it still works away in the background and tells you where you are when needed - assuming the idiot using it replaces the batteries in a timely manner ::) But today it pinpointed a spot that I needed to find, so I think it's great. But it's no substitute for a map and compass and never should be.

kkm

« Reply #4 on: 22:30:23, 17/03/09 »
we bought a otter box to put the hp in - waterproof and shock proof - but was a bit pricey, but better than having to pay to replace the hp. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy