Author Topic: Lands End to John O'Groats  (Read 15007 times)

WILDWALKINGUK

Lands End to John O'Groats
« on: 13:22:32, 07/02/19 »
Hello
I am setting off on my LEJOG next week via Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis camping rough every night if possible and just wondered if anyone had any wisdom they are able to pass on?
I have walked the Cape Wrath Trail, TGO Challenge, Pennine Way etc, so not inexperienced but I have only ever walked for a maximum of 3 weeks camping rough every night before so I am sure those of you who have done LEJOG will have learnt from it.
I am totally prepared or so I think.      ???
Mark

Ralph

Re: Lands End to John O'Groats
« Reply #1 on: 14:32:11, 07/02/19 »
I can't offer any advice but can give you my best wishes and good luck for the walk.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:47:41, 07/02/19 »

Good luck with your walk.

My advice would be to finish at Duncansby Head, a couple of miles to the east of John O'Groats, a much nicer spot and the true 'end' of Scotland. John O'Groats is nothing more than a tourist trap.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:26:03, 07/02/19 »
You lucky man. All I would say is start slowly and spend the first week getting into it. Take as much advantage of daylight as you can, plan for a shorter day or day off during bad weather and retreat to a B&B every so often. Good luck and safe journey.Dave.

Doddy

« Reply #4 on: 14:43:29, 08/02/19 »
On a long walk to get enough calories you either carry lots of food and fuel or you eat out at least once a day. I do not carry more than three days food (3kg) and resupply often. At resupply outside the shop eat some of the food so you do not have to carry it on your back. Sometimes I will pick my tent pitch before eating then walk back to the café/pub for a meal then even after dark I know where my pitch is.

I did a five section End to End from Cape Wrath to Lands End and have done the National Three peaks in 24hrs.
« Last Edit: 14:49:16, 08/02/19 by Doddy »

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:00:36, 08/02/19 »
You may have done Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis before but if not, having done all three this year at separate times I recommend taking one of the less popular routes up and down. And also avoid weekends if your schedule allows it. Good luck,keep us updated, do you have a blog?

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #6 on: 17:59:14, 10/02/19 »
Hello
Yes I do have a blog if anyone wishes to follow my progress. https://wildwalkinguk.com/ I will be trying to camp rough every night so will only be updating the blog every few days or whenever I have enough power. The site is new and we still have a lot to add to it. I am also on twitter: @wildwalkinguk
Thanks for your interest and advice.
Mark
« Last Edit: 18:03:19, 10/02/19 by WILDWALKINGUK »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:19:08, 11/02/19 »

Interesting Blog, Mark.

..not that I'm planning to do LEJOG, !

astaman

« Reply #8 on: 10:08:32, 11/02/19 »
A good blog. I look forward to exploring it properly and following your progress on it. LEJOG is on my bucket list - maybe someday. Living in Shetland I'd be inclined to take the footferry across to Orkney walk the south isles and Orkney mainland and then take the ferry to Shetland. I've already walked the length of the Shetland mainland but would happily do it again and finish in the north of Unst. But I don't know if I would if I didn't live here. Good luck with your trip.

Joh

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:14:45, 11/02/19 »
I wish the guy that I bumped into as he approached Carlisle, who walked LEJOG taking all the 3,000ft peaks of England Wales and Scotland on his way, had written a book. I did look out for it in exspectation, it was a bit wierd however how fast his website closed down after he finished. One of the main walking mags was following his progress and he got lots of publicity, starting in February he finished in September.

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #10 on: 15:35:44, 24/02/19 »
Thanks for your advice, everyone! Mark is getting on well, currently at Boscastle, but struggling a bit with condensation in the tent. Drying kit is becoming quite a chore, I think. Thanks for all the advice and I'm updating the blog when I get enough information from him! Emma (Mark's wife).

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:24:21, 01/03/19 »
Enjoying the blog. That was some breakfast in St Ives!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:12:50, 02/03/19 »
Me too, enjoying the blog, what a great way to start with your family, has me wondering, will they be there at the end?

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 14:34:38, 03/03/19 »

Good luck, I did JOGLE with my dog 6 years ago and I really loved it - got  depressed towards the end because I did not want it to finish. My old dog has now died and I have a new boy and after I have got him used to hiking and camping for weeks on end this year we will be doing JOGLE or LEJOG again next year.

There is nothing better than getting up in the morning, packing up your tent and looking forward to a big day in the hills with your best mate.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:13:37, 04/03/19 »
No blog updates for several days now, I hope everything is going as planned.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy