Author Topic: TR - Blencathra  (Read 5482 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Blencathra
« Reply #15 on: 16:16:18, 06/04/21 »
Brilliant day and views again  O0

There are so many variants on ways up Blencathra, still a few left to do.

It was indeed. And yes, so many routes on this complex mountain.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:01:06, 06/04/21 »
Another lovely day out Richard O0  Although I'm shocked that you didn't visit the Mighty Mungrisedale Common whilst you were nearby ( Although perhaps it would be too much excitement for one day  ;D

Excellent photos and description, brings back memories of the Meet I went on, what year was it? We climbed Sharp Edge that
day.
Nearly three years to the day GWM. we met You, Dave ( Rhino ) , Dom and a few others at the top of the edge
http://www.karlswalks.co.uk/2018/bowscale-08-04-18.html

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:15:36, 06/04/21 »
Another lovely day out Richard O0  Although I'm shocked that you didn't visit the Mighty Mungrisedale Common whilst you were nearby ( Although perhaps it would be too much excitement for one day  ;D

Thanks Karl - it hasn't escaped my notice that Mungrisdale Common is on The List that Must be Followed. Its inclusion vindicates my decision to ignore said list. >:D

Having said that, it is absolutely in the middle of nowhere, and could be a good place to spend the night away from it all.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:40:25, 06/04/21 »

Thanks Karl - it hasn't escaped my notice that Mungrisdale Common is on The List that Must be Followed. Its inclusion vindicates my decision to ignore said list. >:D

Having said that, it is absolutely in the middle of nowhere, and could be a good place to spend the night away from it all.

Only if you can sleep with an aqualung attached.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:43:17, 06/04/21 »

That's fighting talk that is :knuppel2:

Next you'll be saying you're not going to scale Armboth Fell ;D

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:02:04, 06/04/21 »
Makes my heart happy just to see those images ...

The Gategill Fell ridge..gorgeous.. O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:03:28, 06/04/21 »
Next you'll be saying you're not going to scale Armboth Fell ;D

LOL - got to confess that I had never heard of it, but couldn't resist looking it up ... I rest my case.  :coolsmiley:

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:25:21, 06/04/21 »
Makes my heart happy just to see those images ...

The Gategill Fell ridge..gorgeous.. O0

Thanks, G&P - glad that you enjoyed them. Been up Halls Fell Ridge (which I didn't photograph) but not the Gategill ridge.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:55:33, 07/04/21 »
Obviously not everyone is bothered about the history of names on a map but with the interesting history of the Lake District incorporating so many different language roots it's a bit of a fascinating subject the deeper you dig.

I did some further digging into the origins of Glenderamackin and Glenderaterra, and quite by chance solved the riddle of the name of the old house that we lived in for ten years in Dolwyddelan, Snowdonia! Even the elderly Welsh speaking locals did not know what 'Beinw' meant, but I unearthed an extract from a paper concerning the two Glendera's, and much to my delight, and to the delight of my wife, it referred to 'Beinw' as meaning piglets. Riddle solved, 20 years after we moved from there. :)
« Last Edit: 17:25:41, 07/04/21 by richardh1905 »

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 14:46:52, 08/04/21 »
Oh interesting!  I glad it sparked a bit of a treasure hunt.  Being able to incorporate all these different disciplines is a pleasure, especially when you travel through a land and know it has a history but you are grasping at straws sometimes to put your finger on it.  Some of those elements are the flora and fauna, perhaps the ruined buildings and their substantial hints to history, maybe even the nature of the paths and trails in the area.  Often when you go back more than a few hundred years those ruined buildings begin to fade (or more likely - the stone has been repurposed for other projects) and the archaeological findings are well picked over, so what are we left with?..

.. The humble topo map of course and a host of placenames which are themselves rich in history even if they're often a little obtuse upon first reading.    I'm fortunate enough to have some of the early 1890-1915 topo maps of the North West (the ones on canvas) and being able to look at not just the character and aspect of the ground but also the history of what that area was known for is a fantastic way to keep surprising yourself - even with an area you thought you already knew everything about.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:13:58, 08/04/21 »
Terrific stuff, what a lucky dog you have.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 17:14:35, 08/04/21 »
. The humble topo map of course and a host of placenames which are themselves rich in history even if they're often a little obtuse upon first reading.    I'm fortunate enough to have some of the early 1890-1915 topo maps of the North West (the ones on canvas) and being able to look at not just the character and aspect of the ground but also the history of what that area was known for is a fantastic way to keep surprising yourself - even with an area you thought you already knew everything about.

We came across an old hand drawn/painted map dated 1840, a massive thing, on the wall of what was then Dolwyddelan Pottery, and were pleased to see that our house was the only house on the south side of the Afon Lledr; the oldest, in other words.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:15:27, 08/04/21 »
Terrific stuff, what a lucky dog you have.

Thanks pleb - we are lucky owners - Tess is a gem, a bit of a rough diamond at times, mind.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:17:55, 09/04/21 »
That’s a great report. Blencathra is a great mountain. We don’t need Wainwright to tell us that - but he knew what he was talking about.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 07:57:43, 10/04/21 »
That’s a great report. Blencathra is a great mountain. We don’t need Wainwright to tell us that - but he knew what he was talking about.

Thanks, MKPotato - it is indeed.
I have a family link to Blencathra - my mother was evacuated as a child from South Shields during the war, and stayed for a while at Doddick Farm, at the foot of the mountain. She used to pick bilberries on the slopes of Doddick Fell.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy