Author Topic: lightweight synthetic down jackets  (Read 1754 times)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
lightweight synthetic down jackets
« on: 16:19:25, 22/04/20 »
Trying to find a lightweight synthetic down jacket to stuff into the top of my sack, I keep seeing the same old brand names/models coming up Patagonia Nano Puff, Montane Icarus, Rab Xenon etc, wondered what peoples views/experiences of any of these or comparable jackets are.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: lightweight synthetic down jackets
« Reply #1 on: 17:09:59, 22/04/20 »
Have a look at www.outdoorgearlab.com, they have a whole section devoted to synthetic jackets. Not sure what you mean by 'synthetic down Jackets?'

I had two basic and cheap synthetic jackets from Alpkit, one is very good, which is great for day to day cool/cold hiking, the other one I've already disposed of because when I perspired the inner liner didn't let it through so I often felt wet on the inside.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:13:20, 22/04/20 »
Not sure what you mean by 'synthetic down Jackets?'
Synthetic insulated jackets would probably be the description you're looking for.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:11:47, 22/04/20 »
Sorry GWM but personally I did not like that site you linked to.
Apart from the fact that it is American and the section I looked at contained unfamiliar brands and models that are not available in our country, I found the "reviews" about as bland and uncritical as the ones you see in magazines, or the "Top ten best..." ones that come up in web searches.
It's good to be abe to see a number of brands and models in one place, but I think a site like Ultralight Outdoor Gear or even Cotswold is best for that, while you can learn things from reviews on Amazon.co.uk or the American .com one so long as you disregard all those that are too praiseworthy. (P.S. I no longer have any affinity for Amazon nor do I shop on it any more since they wrongly claimed that I was trying to log in from an unknown device and locked me out, likewise my wife who has had a similar experience. But the reviews are useful!).
« Last Edit: 18:16:58, 22/04/20 by fernman »

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:07:28, 22/04/20 »
Not really a fan of  magazine or gear 'site' reviews much preferring the views of my peers.   Having worked with a couple of magazines and internet forum a couple of years ago I found the more you praised a particular brand, the more stuff they sent you to review, the more critical of their stuff, the less so, probably why so many free of charge kit supplied (not paid for) reviews are so bland and insipid.

Rigel

« Reply #5 on: 19:11:58, 22/04/20 »
Not really a fan of  magazine or gear 'site' reviews much preferring the views of my peers.   Having worked with a couple of magazines and internet forum a couple of years ago I found the more you praised a particular brand, the more stuff they sent you to review, the more critical of their stuff, the less so, probably why so many free of charge kit supplied (not paid for) reviews are so bland and insipid.

This.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:32:34, 22/04/20 »
I have the Patagonia Nano Puff (I think it's that one anyway) and the Rab Xenon jacket. The Nano is thicker fill but it doesn't have a hood. It's an over the head type with a short chest zip. The Rab one has thinner fill but has a hood and is a full length zippered jacket. The Xenon I have is filled with primaloft the new ones are filled with some other synthetic filling, no idea why they've changed presumably cost. Don't know what the Nano is filled with some sort of polyester.

The Nano weighs 470g
The Xenon weighs 343g

I also have a Rab Xenon vest (a sleeveless Gilet type thing) weighs 225g.

In use there's not much between the two the Xenon jacket and vest combined is a little warmer than the Nano and has the advantage of having the hood. The Nano is warmer than the Xenon jacket on it's own. When soaking wet none of them are warm but they do dry relatively quickly and they can all be machine washed.     

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:58:06, 22/04/20 »
I do agree with you Fernman and your entry 'it's good to be able to see a number of brands and models in one place' is why I tend to go to its first, I use it as a baseline to start to understand the product I'm looking for. I'm using it at the moment to gather knowledge about sunhats, for me, it can sometimes be a useful starting guide. Is there a similar UK site that categorises products in the same or a similar way?

The difficulty I have with review sites generally is that most of them only seem to cover the big companies, Rab, Berghaus, North Face and so on, they rarely 'review' say Alpkit products and other, what I assume for them is 'lower value' or 'lower status' products. For example, I think my Alpkit synthetic jacket is marvelous, but I have never read that anywhere else, in fact, I have never seen it reviewed in the first place!

For me tent reviews are a good example, the review vsites just seem to focus on specific makes and models!

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:46:24, 22/04/20 »
I have the Patagonia Nano Puff (I think it's that one anyway) and the Rab Xenon jacket. The Nano is thicker fill but it doesn't have a hood. It's an over the head type with a short chest zip. The Rab one has thinner fill but has a hood and is a full length zippered jacket. The Xenon I have is filled with primaloft the new ones are filled with some other synthetic filling, no idea why they've changed presumably cost. Don't know what the Nano is filled with some sort of polyester.

The Nano weighs 470g
The Xenon weighs 343g

I also have a Rab Xenon vest (a sleeveless Gilet type thing) weighs 225g.

In use there's not much between the two the Xenon jacket and vest combined is a little warmer than the Nano and has the advantage of having the hood. The Nano is warmer than the Xenon jacket on it's own. When soaking wet none of them are warm but they do dry relatively quickly and they can all be machine washed.   

Thanks for that Owen, somethings for me to consider there.

Ronin83

« Reply #9 on: 17:08:14, 23/04/20 »
Just got the missus a montane fluxmatic. Really nice and pricing is less than Rab etc. The feel of it is very lush, feels like quality. Can't give u a long term review, but I think montane is the way I'll go in future.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:09:31, 23/04/20 »
Just got the missus a montane fluxmatic. Really nice and pricing is less than Rab etc. The feel of it is very lush, feels like quality. Can't give u a long term review, but I think montane is the way I'll go in future.
I'm a big fan of Montane clothing and have a gear rack full of their stuff.  Have had a Flux jacket for a couple of years now and it is one of my go to jackets for stuffing in my bag, likewise the Montane Hydrogen smock I purchased earlier this year is rapidly becoming a firm favourite.  Both are a little heavier than the others I mentioned and to be honest I can put up with that, just wondered if there was anything comparable to the bigger named 'lightweight' (sub 500g),  stuff out there.

Thedogsmother

« Reply #11 on: 06:28:05, 27/04/20 »
I have a North Face thermoball it is really light and warm and packs into its pocket but it was expensive and I wished I had looked at other brands. I bought it before I was aware of Sport Pursuit website and they've got absolutely loads on there at really good prices. Longer lead in time for delivery on their things though.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:55:05, 27/04/20 »
Any site that demands my email address just so I can look to see what they've got can get st*ffed  >:(

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:28:26, 28/04/20 »
Any site that demands my email address just so I can look to see what they've got can get st*ffed  >:(

I just made one up so I could have a look ;D
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Pitboot

« Reply #14 on: 12:36:10, 28/04/20 »
I've had some really good bargains from Sports Pursuit, I used a old email account that I hardly look at but when I do there are lots of discounts from the company. If you know what you are looking for you can be pleasantly surprised. However they also tout some of their own brand or associated brand gear offering discounts, these are not in any shops I've ever seen.
Their returns system is a bit slow if you make a mistake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy