Author Topic: ViewRanger/OutdoorActive Merging  (Read 23774 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: ViewRanger/OutdoorActive Merging
« Reply #45 on: 06:51:08, 26/02/21 »
VR have said the program will remain available for download and maps already purchased will continue to be available so I don't think there is any real cause for concern :)
Where there's a will ...

Kev06

« Reply #46 on: 09:36:34, 26/02/21 »
It is certainly good that the rug isn't instantly being pulled, that is great to hear. Though the websites seem rather lean on actual details and commitments, even some of the published FAQs on the viewranger site appear to have rather evasive answers..

At least, I'm not clear what 'remaining available' really means - e.g. if they intend to actually keep it current and working or if (as I expect) maintenance will dwindle, allowing it to become obsolete (and maybe insecure). Similarly for the associated services - were it to become impossible to buy new tiles/maps (as I think is the case?) then that would also force many of us to begin adopting some alternative sooner, from the first trip to somewhere new. No idea what happens to existing credit, either.

So the devil is in the detail really. TBH whatever is said or is in the smallprint, I struggle to believe they'll keep ViewRanger maintained for very long. They obviously want everyone on the new outdooractive model and supporting two would be inefficient. Though it might help the transition and reduce the size of negative headlines to let it die slowly rather than end it abruptly.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 15:13:52, 26/02/21 »
Just had this answer from VR support:

Yes, the ViewRanger application will remain available for download to new devices, including being able to sign into your existing account and access your owned maps for downloading for offline use.

But we have discontinued the ViewRanger subscriptions, so these are now only available in Outdooractive.

Just to repeat what I posted on page 1 of this thread  O0
Where there's a will ...

OxfordAl

« Reply #48 on: 15:38:57, 26/02/21 »
New to the group and new to OutdoorActive and am confused so seeking help. 99% of the time I am walking in the UK

As a user of Viewranger for some years I think I now have the hang of it, Moving over to Outdoor active has produced a new set of problems that I cannot sort out so I am seeking the help of those of you that know what youre doing

What is the advantage of OA? I have failed, as yet, to see one other than it showing alpine ski routes and mountain lodges etc, the likes of which I don't use very much in rural Oxfordshire

Used to have skyline in VW but it appears I have to pay and extra £50 for the benefit in OA!

In VR I was able to have one or many routes or tracks showing on the map whilst following a route, done seem to be able to do that in OA,or is it I havent worked it out?

Can I change the colour of a route or equivalent track ?

It appears the POIs consist of a pin head, can you change them to that which was similar in VR or not?

Do you have to download a route every time you want to follow one, with VR you simply selected it and viewed on map?

I tried to add a POI, got the map up and moved it around so the pin was over the point I wanted it to be but couldn't do anything with it

Any other useful tips you have would be appreciated.

cheers

Alan

Kev06

« Reply #49 on: 15:44:23, 26/02/21 »

Just to repeat what I posted on page 1 of this thread  O0
Yes, that was helpful, thanks; it should be usable until the next android/OS updates, at least.

It is more the future of the app, and the services needed to usefully run it, that seem less certain. I'm not seeing words like update and maintain, without which it will become incompatible (and potentially insecure beforehand).

(Sorry, Alan, I was typing this as you posted, hopefully someone else can help)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 16:15:14, 26/02/21 »
Well the bottom line is VR is still here, fir a while. Skyline et. Is still available.  Since I bought a cheap smartphone and use that without a Sim for VR I should'nt have the android update problem, unless I stupidly allow my simless phone to auto update which would mean I deliberately changed that setting.

So far so good. OA has some good free maps actually, it plots a track as easily as VR. And follows a route in much the same way.

So I really don't see a problem either way, VR purchases remain yours, you can continue using VR as I will. (You may suffer a phone incompatible with VR, but that surely is your choice, keep your old phone for VR)

And in the meantime you can get a leisurely introduction to OA which as far as I can see in my technophobic way isn't hugely different in use for tracking or for following tracks.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Kev06

« Reply #51 on: 17:36:59, 26/02/21 »
Yes if you have old phones then VR could likely be perpetuated for longer - whilst the hardware keeps going, anyway. I'd be cautious about connecting it to the internet if the OS isn't being patched, but not sure if VR needs that or not (e.g. to check licencing periodically). Obviously, it'd be a stop-gap by that point, but not much to lose.

However, I'd not be keen to buy more VR credit/maps/tiles (even if it allows) so it would stagnate in its present state, which wouldn't work for me (I don't have all the maps ever needed).

So it is time to move on, just a question of what to and thankfully we have a breathing space to decide. OA doesn't actually look awful, just more expensive than VR and rather overburdened with clutter. But whilst they bought VR that doesn't mean they necessarily bought me, so i won't just follow along unless no other options are better. Unfortunately their free version doesn't look suitable, as I frequently use maps in locations without signals.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 20:41:55, 26/02/21 »
I’ve just googled the OutdoorsActive app to see what it’s all about.  Some interesting reviews and questions from customers who’ve transferred from ViewRanger, along with responses from the OA team:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.outdooractive.Outdooractive&hl=en_GB&gl=US&showAllReviews=true

I think the thing I’d like to know is… if I load the OA free app (non-subscription) onto my phone, will I be able to use my previously purchased VR OS maps on it?

Has anyone gone down this route yet (non-subscription)?

bresonnier

« Reply #53 on: 15:34:37, 27/05/21 »
I've been with VR for many years. I have Outdoor... and tried it for a couple of months, and am off back to OS for £23 per year, all OS maps and I understand most of the world too. Yes it isn't as slick as VR but that fixed price is good. I've used it for hiking over a few weeks now and am fine with it.
Like many, I was told that I'd have the same privileges on Outdoor as I did on VR But the "3D flight" makes the Outdoor program over £50 per year (perhaps they meant same privileges in your current sub, year?). I got a message asking me to upgrade to PRO+ (I was on PRO with VR) each time I tried to 3D. Eventually they found a convoluted way to let me use it, but the system has to email you when the 3D is ready, which it often didn't. Then I found out their fly-through ends up on on YouTube by default. I use 3D just to check a hike beforehand, not to brag about it afterwards.
For me the whole Outdoor "thing" doesn't feel good so I'm off. Wonder how the many UK rescue teams will react.
Many thanks to all the ViewRanger people for some good times!

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 19:04:48, 28/05/21 »

Some of you may be interested in this article titled ViewRanger to OutdoorActive: navigating the transition

https://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/news/viewranger-to-outdooractive-navigating-the-transition/

bresonnier

« Reply #55 on: 20:53:50, 28/05/21 »
Thanks for that. So they merged two years ago, before Outdoor was ready for it, and it will be another (insert number here) x years before it is acceptable to many VR users. Great planning. Glad I won't be around it to see the further struggles.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 16:21:58, 27/06/21 »
My viewranger subscription expired on 21st June. We used VR this weekend with one the map areas we bought, the Lake District NP, so it is still working ok, so far. We have others on VR - Peak District NP, Northumberland NP, Ben Nevis & Glen Coe to use on VR. We haven't synced to Outdoor Active.

I am weighing up which way to go for full OS mapping for the UK. Memory Map, OS maps or Outdoor Active.

I have Memory Map with the Lake District NP OS map on an old laptop (before it was available as a subscription and able to be used on a phone or tablet). Has anyone got the new subscription and using it on a phone or tablet too? This looks the best option I have seen so far.

I used the OS app with a few of the paper maps I bought after downloading them but it wouldn't let me record a route without a signal, or I couldn't get it to work, this was a couple of years ago. Does anyone use the OS app and can you do this now without having a signal?

What is the Outdoor Active one like to those who have migrated? There are a lot of negative reviews I have read about it when compared to VR.

Any comments about these apps will be appreciated.

I may go down the Memory Map route unless someone has had any problems with it? £25 per year seems good value for money and it seems to do everything I need it for. It will mostly be used to record routes and be there to show me where I am on the map if I'm unsure (I mean lost) and I could even plot routes on my laptop if I wanted to give up using my bit of string with mile markers on to measure on a paper map  :D
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 16:51:35, 27/06/21 »
April - the OS app will record a track using the phone gps so you do not need a signal.  What it will not do is let you record a track while following a route. it is either or.
As an app, OA will do prteyy muchall the things that VR did as far as I am concerned.  It takes a bit of adapting too, it is not VR+, and is a bit more of a fiddle at the planning stage but the offline use is fine provided you sync you map/plan before you set off.  The snap to tool for planning will work everywhere whereas the OS equivalent only works inside NP boundaries.  If you take out the Pro+ subscription you get OpenStreet, Harveys and OS mapping plus their equivalents when we are allowed to walk abroad again.
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 17:15:48, 27/06/21 »
April - the OS app will record a track using the phone gps so you do not need a signal.  What it will not do is let you record a track while following a route. it is either or.

Thanks for this ninthace. I had several maps downloaded on the OS app and I tried to record a route several times on a few walks but it kept saying I didn't have a signal and it never recorded the route. This was quite a few years ago, perhaps it has changed? The map was showing ok and we weren't following a route. It may have been user error  :) 

I'm not in a hurry to choose a new app, we have the maps we need on Viewranger for now, so thanks again for your input  :)
Hate will never win

steve271

« Reply #59 on: 09:42:41, 28/06/21 »
...I have Memory Map with the Lake District NP OS map on an old laptop (before it was available as a subscription and able to be used on a phone or tablet). Has anyone got the new subscription and using it on a phone or tablet too? This looks the best option I have seen so far......Any comments about these apps will be appreciated.
I may go down the Memory Map route unless someone has had any problems with it? £25 per year seems good value for money and it seems to do everything I need it for. It will mostly be used to record routes and be there to show me where I am on the map if I'm unsure (I mean lost) and I could even plot routes on my laptop if I wanted to give up using my bit of string with mile markers on to measure on a paper map  :D
Well I've been using Memory map with the £25 (+VAT) full 50K/25K annual subscription for a couple of months now. (My VR subscription also expired and I was not convinced by OA). You can buy 50K/25K permanently for about the cost of four years subscription, but I prefer the idea of providing MM with a smaller regular income to give them more incentive to improve the app.

I like MM. You can use it on up to 5 devices with the annual subscription, and the documentation also allows these to be other family members, using the same login details.

I'm using it on a desktop, laptop and mobile. I like the fact that MM has a native Windows/Mac app that you can install and use to browse maps on/offline - I've downloaded the whole 50K to my laptop but just download the bits of 25K I need at a time as it's many GB. I take the laptop on holiday for work anyway (except backpacking!), and prefer browsing maps on-screen to paper.

In a couple of months use I've not found any bugs so far, it seems very stable.

You can also zoom in on maps to a decent level - something that OA did not allow me to do - which is useful if you can't see small details very easily. Plus *I* can decide when to change map scale on zooming - OA insists it knows better.

It's very simple and quick to start up. It just shows maps, never suggests accommodation or offers to share my walk with a friend!

A big downside is it has a limited range of countries (UK, USA, France & Australia I think) which changes all the time, so it's not a one-stop solution for travelling abroad.

So I'm happy with it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy