Author Topic: Advice on buying a waterproof outer jacket  (Read 2657 times)

Mactronix

Advice on buying a waterproof outer jacket
« on: 12:16:32, 09/02/21 »
Hello,
  I am a new member and have had a look around, if there are posts about this I cant find them.

My question concerns the quality or lack there of when considering options.
You can pay hundreds of pounds for a Branded (Gortex) type coat or less than £50 at sports Direct for end of line Karrimor coats that have zero online reviews, which I find strange.
The Karrimor coats I am talking about are ones that claim to be 3 layer or made of 30D or 40D 20,000 water proof and breathable.

I am looking for something suitable for an novice walker, I'm middle aged and wont be spending all day in the highlands in the rain.

Can these cheaper alternatives really be as water proof as claimed ? Wouldn't they get pulled by trading standards if they were not ?

Not sure if I am allowed to link to the coats I mean or not ?

Thanks for reading and any advice.

Mactronix :)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice on buying a waterproof outer jacket
« Reply #1 on: 12:58:27, 09/02/21 »
This old thread may help http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=33777.0

Unfortunately the Karrimor brand name is now so bad due to cheap poor quality Chinese manufacturing that Sports Direct actively prevent any reviews being posted. It would appear they don't like hearing or seeing the truth about the products they sell.

If you are on a limited budget you could do far worse than have a look at the Marmot Precip Jacket which is an ideal packable rain jacket for most day walks. Roughly around £75-£85 although I did manage to buy one for under £25 from amazon some time ago. Search Google for best current prices and availability. 

Use the custom Google search box (top right on every page) to find info and reviews posted on this forum.

Mactronix

« Reply #2 on: 13:22:24, 09/02/21 »
Thanks for that, along with that and other reviews, Trust Pilot etc I have decided to give them a wide berth.
 It really is difficult when companies are getting away with selling these dressed up garments.

Guess its back to the drawing board to find an affordable option for a waterproof outer.

I mean I have a pac a mac but I was hoping to get a better waterproof and breathable outer, without spending a fortune.

Micromac :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:23:08, 09/02/21 »
The Marmot Precip recommended by kinkyboots isn't a pac a mac if that's what you're thinking.  It's a 2.5 layer waterproof that packs up quite small, I've had one for years, and it's coped with some torrential downpours. It's not as breathable as my 3 layer Berghaus, but that was over double the price. What you lose the cheaper you go is features, so the Berghaus also has additional pockets, wired hood etc, but it's also bulkier because of it.

For day walks my Precip lives in one of my side pouches, so it's there for the occasional shower/downpour. For multi- day trips I take my Berghaus.
« Last Edit: 15:28:32, 09/02/21 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Mactronix

« Reply #4 on: 16:58:32, 09/02/21 »
Thank you for that its good to get some feedback from people who have actually used the items.
I looked at it and it shows as being 10,000mm HH  
You say its plenty waterproof yet you can buy 15-20,000HH
From what you say it seems that these ratings are all smoke and mirrors if you have been in downpours with this jacket.  

Hmmm lots more to ponder and research I feel.  

Mactronix :)  

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:46:00, 09/02/21 »
You have not said what your budget is. Craghoppers are selling a whole range of waterproof coats at reasonable prices at present at Craghoppers.com. They are a brand I trust. I have recently bought a coat from them.
It's all uphill from here.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:58:30, 09/02/21 »
In my experience, waterproofing is far less of an issue than breathability. After all, polythene is completely waterproof! The challenge is to find something that is not only waterproof, but also has the breathability you require. And we require breathability to a degree that suits us personally because we sweat differently and/or work harder when exercising.

In the order I bought them, the brands of jacket I've owned over the last few years are: Mountain Warehouse, OEX, Dare2B, Berghaus(x2) and Rohan. Each time, I paid more than the previous time because I hoped that I'd sweat less in the next one! All have been suitably waterproof, with the possible exception of the MW jacket. None have been suitably breathable - except for the Rohan Vertex jacket, which I'm extremely happy with (BTW, it's not Gore-Tex, but Rohan's own version called Barricade).

I learned the expensive way that good jackets do not come cheap! I've just checked and Rohan are selling the Vertex at £177 (coal colour) - reduced from £295! I think I got a 15% discount, so I reckon £177 is a real bargain! (The other colour is full price, so I assume 'coal' is last year's colour.)  O0

« Last Edit: 19:59:44, 09/02/21 by WhitstableDave »
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Sarana

« Reply #7 on: 20:53:15, 11/02/21 »
Hi, I am also looking for a really good quality waterproof outer layer. 
I had a look at the Rohan Vertex, but I can’t see it for anything less than its full price of £295 at the moment. If you have a link to a sale value would you be able to share it please?
Another one I have looked at is on SportPursuit - Marmot Keele Peak Jacket which seems good value - reduced to £169.  Anyone got a view on this one please?

Nikonitis

« Reply #8 on: 12:30:27, 12/02/21 »
What is also worth considering is looking at a new upcoming company that is trying to promote itself to the wider competition and is therefore promoting its products cheaper than the competition. I don't know how long Fjern have been in business but its not that long (perhaps 2019) and their products are aimed at the active outdoor market but are quite a lot cheaper, using similar materials. Before Christmas 2020 I bought a 700 fill down jacket by them for half the price of an equivalent by one of the more well established companies and it is superb. I have an eVent waterproof jacket from another company, it is very similar but arguably better than Goretex and carries a lower price tag. Fjern are offering one on One tree shop for 80 euros, just as an example

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:38:10, 12/02/21 »
Hi, I am also looking for a really good quality waterproof outer layer. 
I had a look at the Rohan Vertex, but I can’t see it for anything less than its full price of £295 at the moment. If you have a link to a sale value would you be able to share it please?
Another one I have looked at is on SportPursuit - Marmot Keele Peak Jacket which seems good value - reduced to £169.  Anyone got a view on this one please?

I'm very sorry, but you're correct - Rohan is selling the Vertex jacket at £295.

I promise the men's medium size version really was on offer at £177 on Tuesday!  :-\

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:42:50, 12/02/21 »

This may help in Coal @ £177  https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-waterproofs-vertex-jacket-ss19?ocode=05606030

The True Navy/Dusk Blue option is £295 and both are plus £3.95 delivery.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:57:54, 12/02/21 »
This may help in Coal @ £177  https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-waterproofs-vertex-jacket-ss19?ocode=05606030

The True Navy/Dusk Blue option is £295 and both are plus £3.95 delivery.
Nice one! Thanks! (And a real bargain IMHO.)  O0

Sarana

« Reply #12 on: 17:46:50, 12/02/21 »
Many thanks all!  Frustratingly the Women’s version is not on offer.  It is still £295, and I am too little to fit into the men’s one 😞

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:48:00, 12/02/21 »
I use a £20 Champion long coat or a £17.99 short Champion coat for when it rains, and I keep a really light cheap poncho to hand if I need to 'double glaze' myself, but have never had to use it yet. The last time I put my rain jacket on when hiking and because of rain was on one day when I walked the Two Moors Way in August 2019. Obviously, my cheap waterproofs get wet inside from perspiration (my £250 Paramo Alta 2 does as well) but the wetness is easily solved. In a lull, I just open the zip, and the inner dries quickly, not inside the sleeves this takes longer.

I stick with them because I just feel that one day I'm going to find a better system, I'm still looking. I've tried all sorts of combinations, but at the moment I'm inclined to buy a Decathlon full zip down the front poncho (they have just raised the price from £29.99 to £39.99) or an Altus Atmosphere poncho, (about the same price) the same design but a few grams lighter in weight. Unfortunately, I can't find an Altus in the UK. I'll decide what to buy when I'm confident that we can hike again.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:04:34, 17/02/21 »
It was pouring with rain today, it just wouldn't stop and I wore my Champion jacket. I ran through the woods mainly and by the time I got back to my car, it felt as if I was equally wet on the outside (the rain) and just as wet on the inside (perspiration) there was no chance of opening up my jacket to dry inside. I didn't feel wet (I was only out for an hour) but the perspiration had soaked into my base layer but my Brynge string vest underneath kept my skin dry. I was only out for an hour and my perspiration still felt warm. I just stripped off, had a rub down with my towel and put a dry T-shirt on. If I'd been hiking and perspiring I'm sure the cold of the perspiration would have got through to my skin no matter what I was wearing.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy