Author Topic: Boot cleaning brush  (Read 888 times)

James M

Boot cleaning brush
« on: 03:41:17, 24/02/21 »
Any recommendations for a boot brush for cleaning synthetic material boots? Like to get all the dry mud off.

Cheers

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Boot cleaning brush
« Reply #1 on: 08:34:40, 24/02/21 »
Mountain Warehouse Footwear Brush at £3.99.

Works for me!  O0

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:13:06, 24/02/21 »
I only clean wet mud off boots and use my fingers and an old toothbrush for the uppers.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:31:09, 24/02/21 »
Mountain Warehouse Footwear Brush at £3.99.

£3.99? I'm sure you could find something in Poundshop that would do just as well!  :)
I use a good old-fashioned floor scrubbing brush whose other use is to clean the tiled front doorstep two or three times a year.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:40:05, 24/02/21 »
An old toothbrush will do the job, as Ridge suggests.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:49:37, 24/02/21 »
I use a plastic nail brush, bought from Boots.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:04:36, 24/02/21 »
The things I like about the Mountain Warehouse Footwear Brush are: there's a tapered 'blade' at one end (right) which is perfect for scraping mud from the sides of boots; there's a point at the other (left) which is great for digging out mud from between the lugs on soles; the overall shape allows for a very firm grip; and the bristles are long enough and tough enough to deal with the rest.

An extravagance I know, but sometimes only the best is good enough.  ;)

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:09:51, 24/02/21 »
Any recommendations for a boot brush for cleaning synthetic material boots? Like to get all the dry mud off.

If it can be avoided don't allow mud to dry on your boots. The drying out process is what can damage your boots and is particularly harmful to any leather parts if the mud contains animal waste or petroleum products which may have been picked in fields or farmyards.

Get them under running water as soon as possible after your walk and use a soft/medium nylon brush (the sort you would use to wash the pots) to remove as much as possible of the remaining mud. Too hard a brush will eventually damage the fabric sections.

Then use Nikwax Cleaning Gel (or similar product) to deep clean and remove any remaining traces of mud and dirt before finally applying the reproofing spray of your choice. Plenty of YouTube videos are available to show you the correct process for your type of boot.
« Last Edit: 14:13:32, 24/02/21 by kinkyboots »

James M

« Reply #8 on: 14:57:02, 24/02/21 »
Thanks for all th recommendations.

I had been using a toothbrush before but find it too laborious. And my more experienced pal told me to let the mud dry in and just brush it off. I'll need to have a word with her!  ;D

The mountain warehouse ones seem good. I'll have a look on Amazon. Also yes I'll have to buy waterproofing and cleaning stuff. This is turning into an expensive exercise to clean boots that leak!

James M

« Reply #9 on: 15:00:26, 24/02/21 »
Another question...

As the boots leak and are wet inside after some walks, i have been putting a couple of those little moisture soaking bags inside each boot.

Will this help and what damage is being done with the boots leaking? I assume even if a boot leaks once it has comprised that entire part of the boot and there is no going back? E.g it will just fester?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:21:31, 24/02/21 »
Unfortunately the boots have had it for any wet weather walking and need replacing and there's nothing you can do to change that. Did you get anywhere with possibly returning them to Merrell?

If they're wet inside stuff with scrunched up newspaper and change the paper every couple of hours.

Weather permitting another thing to try is hanging them upside down near an open window - the more airflow going in, over and around them the faster they will dry. From experience a full leather boot with waterproof liner that's been filled with water to wash/clean the insides you can expect it to take 3-5 days for them to fully dry. A fabric/leather combination boot with waterproof liner may dry quicker than this.
« Last Edit: 15:45:36, 24/02/21 by kinkyboots »

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:39:42, 24/02/21 »
As someone who has moved away from so-called waterproof footwear in favour of lightweight trail shoes (with waterproof socks when appropriate) for most walking, my experiences are very different to that of many others.

Non-waterproof shoes dry quickly. If they are wet inside or after cleaning, I stuff them with microfibre cloths, which I find to be much more effective than newspaper (something that's rarely found in our house anyway!). When cleaning, I stuff cloths into the shoes to push the uppers to their non-creased state and brush them clean under hot running water (avoiding pouring water over the upper mesh areas).

The reason I clean shoes and boots is so I can wear them around the house before setting off on a walk. I don't like to put them on at the door, because I might have forgotten something and would need to take them off again if they're muddy! Making the uppers last longer is of absolutely no concern to me because every shoe or boot that I've ever retired was worn down on the outsole, not the upper - they get binned when they lose their grip.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:00:33, 24/02/21 »
A £1 dish brush from Poundland.
It's all uphill from here.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:27:47, 24/02/21 »
50p nail brush from Boyes Stores.
Wet scrubbed clean, allowed to dry naturally and spray liberally with boot waterproofer.
If the weather is looking bad I often respray before going out. Probably pointless but it doesn't seem to harm my 3 year old fabric, waterproof, boots.
I still have at least 10 cans left since I bought the lot from a shoe shop that was closing down at 25p per can. The moths were not blinded that day.
« Last Edit: 18:18:07, 24/02/21 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:14:39, 24/02/21 »
I also use a nail brush, the kind you use to to clean under your fingernails.

I carefully wash off any mud under a slow moving tap, and remove the small stones, that inevitably get caught in the tread.

A small nailbrush works wonders, in cleaning your boots, and then i allow them to dry naturally.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy