Author Topic: Garmin GPS  (Read 2688 times)

Mr Why

Re: Garmin GPS
« Reply #15 on: 13:38:44, 01/03/21 »
Good afternoon, once again, thank you so much. This is all really helpful

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:39:38, 01/03/21 »
Good afternoon, once again, thank you so much. This is all really helpful
[/quoteLet us know what you decide.
It's all uphill from here.

Mr Why

« Reply #17 on: 14:05:21, 01/03/21 »
Was looking at the Etrex 22x, but it is panned on Amazon.

Eyelet

« Reply #18 on: 17:34:57, 01/03/21 »
Was looking at the Etrex 22x, but it is panned on Amazon.

I just took a quick look at Amazon and IMHO much of the poor feedback is down to those who never actually learnt how to use the device; those wanting to use it as a car satnav; those comparing it to a more expensive smart phone and those criticising the built-in Garmin TOPOActive mapping (which is essentially OpenStreetMap vector mapping) which I agree is certainly not up to OS's standard of cartography. Reported battery issues are often because the user hasn't set the device to use the correct battery type they have put inside. You therefore need to offset these poor reviews with feedback from those who come to the Etrex with prior experience of Garmin devices who have given 5 stars.

You might find it of value to have a non-committal conversation with the guys at GPS Training in Northumberland, who are one of Garmin's largest vendor of outdoor GPS devices and have extensive training resources for their customers. (... I have no connection with them and am not on commission!) They may be a touch more expensive than buying on Amazon but might prove better value in the long-term because of all the support you will get over the first year.

Another thought is to start a new thread along the lines of  "Experience with a Garmin Etrex 22x - would you recommend one?" Hopefully we have some users here who can give you their usual honest and forthright opinions to help you decide O0 .
« Last Edit: 17:51:10, 01/03/21 by Eyelet »

Mr Why

« Reply #19 on: 17:49:58, 01/03/21 »
Thank you, you have been more than helpful I really appreciate the time you have taken with this post. I will look up the Guys in Northumberland.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:55:28, 01/03/21 »
I've had an Etrex20 for over 10 years now. It too was panned in reviews early on, for many of the reasons mentioned above. Most folks who submit reviews do so because they're unhappy so it's skewed that way.

Garmin GPS devices are excellent once you learn how to use them properly.
Where there's a will ...

Mr Why

« Reply #21 on: 18:58:42, 01/03/21 »
Thanks for that, this is a very helpful community.

Deolman

« Reply #22 on: 06:42:44, 05/03/21 »
I would also recommend GPS Training as the support they give is second to none. Long after my warranty had expired they were still giving me support with a particular, and unusual problem with my GPS. They even lent me one of their training units whilst they endeavoured to sort my unit out. I would not have got that from Amazon.

Mr Why

« Reply #23 on: 06:47:51, 05/03/21 »
Thanks I have been in contact with them and they have been great. I just have to decide between an Etrex 25 or a 32x the former is a touch screen and the later buttons. It seems the 32x is more  walking orientated. Where as the 25 is multi purpose. The can also load os maps for me which is nice. Decisions decisions.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 06:54:53, 05/03/21 »
Thanks I have been in contact with them and they have been great. I just have to decide between an Etrex 25 or a 32x the former is a touch screen and the later buttons. It seems the 32x is more  walking orientated. Where as the 25 is multi purpose. The can also load os maps for me which is nice. Decisions decisions.
A nice sort of decision to have to make..

Mr Why

« Reply #25 on: 06:59:36, 05/03/21 »
Oh indeed, trouble is I am battling over 50 years of ingrained indecision.

Eyelet

« Reply #26 on: 18:53:32, 05/03/21 »
I just have to decide between an Etrex 25 or a 32x the former is a touch screen and the latter buttons.

Buttons are good when it is cold and you are wearing gloves. It would be worth asking GPST about relative use of the two devices in the rain.  I have read past reports that some touch screen devices treat raindrops as inputs and do all sorts of things if the screen is not locked, and with some older devices, when you wipe the screen clear of water to see it, the map usually moves considerably!  See: https://justinsimoni.com/2018/06/18/some-times-on-using-the-garmin-etrex-touch-in-the-rain/
« Last Edit: 19:28:00, 05/03/21 by Eyelet »

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:55:44, 05/03/21 »
Buttons are good when it is cold and you are wearing gloves. It would be worth asking GPST about relative use of the two devices in the rain.  I have read past reports that some touch screen devices treat raindrops as inputs and do all sorts of things if the screen is not locked, and with some older devices, when you wipe the screen clear of water to see it, the map usually moves considerably! 

Hopefully they have improved this since then.
Yes, my touch screen Oregon can be jumpy in very heavy rain.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:05:42, 05/03/21 »
My Satmap Active 20 (which I think is brilliant!) has both physical buttons and a touchscreen with touch buttons. In normal use, the touchscreen is perfect, but in rain it can go a bit haywire as water drops can be mistaken for touches. So when it rains, I deactivate the touchscreen option and just use the physical buttons.

Actually, one of the main reasons I stopped using OS Maps on my phone to navigate was my frustration with it often going crazy in the rain. Getting a handheld GPS with real buttons solved the problem!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 22:07:04, 05/03/21 »
I have both a buttons and touchscreen Garmin, for walking I wouldn't use a touchscreen unless you plan never to put it in your pocket.  If you do you'll find it'll go crazy and you then end up having to lock and unlock it all the time.
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy