Author Topic: Garmin GPS  (Read 2712 times)

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Re: Garmin GPS
« Reply #30 on: 08:43:06, 07/03/21 »
I still use my old Garmin 60 CSx, now 13 years old, because it is completely waterproof and it runs on AA batteries. It's incredible how much use I got out of that thing Smiley.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Mr Why

« Reply #31 on: 12:49:48, 11/03/21 »
Thanks all for the input, in the end I went for the etrex32 I took Eyelet's advice and went to GPS Training, they have been great to be fair, I am so glad that I did not but off Amazon. Still very confused with it :P , but that is probably just me. I have put in one route, which is my daily walk, so far it has turned off each time???

Will probably leave it a couple of days.

Thanks again everyone.

Eyelet

« Reply #32 on: 14:07:35, 11/03/21 »
Good luck with your new Etrex ... and persevere!  I'm sure that all the GPSr users on here had similar learning issues - I certainly did!

The good thing about buying from GPS Training is that they have a ton of experience and help with getting new users up their learning curve with their device and there is nothing you can ask them that they won't have heard many times before from other newbies having start-up issues. O0

If you are happy learning from books then I would highly recommend Lyle Brotherton's landmark book "The Ultimate Navigation Manual" e.g. from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Navigation-Manual-Lyle-Brotherton/dp/0007424604

This superb book has 365 pages and pp 248-340 are devoted to Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) starting from the basics. Lyle clearly explains the concepts, setting up and using your device from first principles and he has prepared lesson plans for you to consolidate your learning with practical exercises - I can't recommend it enough. He also produced a few videos on YouTube which are a bit dated in term of the non-mapping Garmin devices he used, but the clear explanations about the technology are timeless and can be applied to any outdoor sat-nav.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 14:10:11, 11/03/21 »
There are masses of tutorials on Ytube on just about every aspect of gps use and models of gps.
Take your time and get outside and play with it.
It's all uphill from here.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 15:39:15, 11/03/21 »
Thanks all for the input, in the end I went for the etrex32 I took Eyelet's advice and went to GPS Training, they have been great to be fair, I am so glad that I did not but off Amazon. Still very confused with it :P , but that is probably just me. I have put in one route, which is my daily walk, so far it has turned off each time???

Turned off or screen has just shut down? This is to conserve battery life. There is a setting to adjust when/how this happens. Look under SetUp, Display
Where there's a will ...

Mr Why

« Reply #35 on: 16:07:37, 11/03/21 »
Honestly I am not stupid, but this is driving me to distraction. All I want to do is add a route that starts and finishes at my house, just to see if I can do it. There will be four way points.

I cannot even add a start point as it asks me to drag it into a box and nothing happens, should the route follow paths or just be a collection of straight lines, approximately in the direction of the paths I am trying to follow? Also does the numbering of the waypoints make any sense? I have no active routes and no saved waypoints that I am aware of, but if I try to re-number it says it is used.

Eyelet

« Reply #36 on: 16:49:16, 11/03/21 »
Just sent you a PM

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 22:26:07, 11/03/21 »
What happens depends on what map you have loaded and the settings on your GPS. Which map are you using as some are routeable, in which case, and if your GPS is set to do so, a route you create will follow the tracks etc, and some maps aren't routeable, in which case all you get is straight lines between the points.

If you can explain what map you are using then more detailed help can be provided.

This might also help you https://www.navigation-professionell.de/en/garmin-etrex-20-x-30-x-settings/

Your Etrex is a very capable GPS but you need to put some effort into learning to use it.
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy