Author Topic: Dyeing suede part of Goretex walking boot  (Read 809 times)

addyeddy

Dyeing suede part of Goretex walking boot
« on: 10:59:14, 06/03/21 »
Age has faded the colour of the suede part of my Aku Superalps, and I'm wondering if I can re-dye the suede part without it affecting the boots.

Obviously I know I'd have to reproof the suede after it was dyed, but would dyeing affect the performance of the boots in a negative way at all?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Dyeing suede part of Goretex walking boot
« Reply #1 on: 11:33:49, 06/03/21 »
There should be no negative effects on the performance of the boots provided you use a dye which is specifically sold for use on suede.

Probably obvious but the one thing you can't do with suede is dye them a lighter colour than the original colour. Success will probably depend on you spending some time preparing the suede before you dye them i.e. removing as much of whatever waterproofing spray you use and making sure they're completely dry before you begin. Most dye will come with full instructions for use. You may find having some masking tape handy to mask off any areas you don't want dyeing useful.

addyeddy

« Reply #2 on: 11:45:52, 06/03/21 »
Hi,

Thanks for that. I thought it shouldn't affect the boots, but just wanted a bit of reassurance I suppose!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:08:37, 06/03/21 »
Fiebings make good suede dye.
It will also dye anything else it comes in to contact with, including your hands, so use with caution.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:23:46, 07/03/21 »

Thinking about this I would not do this to my boots if I was you.

Years ago I poured suede dye in to a plastic cup and it, over the course of the day, melted the bottom of the cup. I have no idea what may happen if it soaked through to the gortex.
If you have ever reproofed them then the application of the waterproofer will not have been even. This may mean that the suede takes the dye unevenly and they end up looking blotchy and worse than they are now.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy