Author Topic: Boots recommendation - can't believe I'm having to do this so soon.  (Read 22115 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
I have low arches that appreciate some support and so I use insoles to tailor most of my footwear accordingly.

I use Superfeet Blue in my Scarpa boots, Superfeet Green in my Scarpa shoes, and Superfeet Trailblazer in my HigherState shoes. The Scarpa shoe insoles have gone into my Salomon shoes, and I've just put Enertor (running) insoles into my Garmont trail runners (initial impressions are that they're excellent!).

In fact, the only walking shoes I haven't put insoles in are my Merrell Cham 7s because they're incredibly supportive anyway and my first choice shoes for walking long distances.

I'm also a firm believer in the benefits of shoe rotation - as in, I like to wear different shoes (or boots) on successive days.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Unlike me, I tend to have one pair for one job, or for one season and will only buy again when they are no longer any good.

April

• Veteran Member
Interesting thread (seems to have drifted a bit though  ;D ). I'm another one who mainly uses boots. I have deformed feet (think orangutan feet) and boots are the best option for support and comfort on the rough terrain we normally walk on. I have used trainers on local walks during the lockdown last year when it was dry on the mostly flat and hardly challenging terrain but this year we have a foot of mud on the paths so back to boots for those local walks. I also use inserts, I have a very high arch. If I don't use them I get metatarsalgia and plantar fasciitis. Everyone has different needs; there is no right or wrong way to do this, this footwear choice, only what works for yourself.
Hate will never win

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Altberg's Aforme last has a closer heel fitting and seems a bit more modern and sculpted generally, supposedly taking some direction from sports shoes. Unfortunately whilst it is used on some of their civilian boots, the only military boot that (I think) they use it on is their newer 'ops' boot, which doesn't seem at all common/cheap second hand (presumably not standard issue) and so I've never tried it. I too would like a better toe shape than the defenders offer, though might struggle if the last is narrower around mid-foot rather than just the heel.

I found this YouTube video which shows a comparison between the Altberg Defender and the new Altberg Military Ops boots which you may find interesting if you haven't already seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTMtp1ALJVE

Amongst other changes the design improves level of support provided above ankle level with the added bonus that it's also available in half size increments which allows for a better fit. Obviously choosing it would be dependent on whether the A-Forme last suits your feet or not.

Kev06

Interesting, thanks very much! So both more ankle support and more flexibility, that could be ideal for general walking. It does seem narrower mid-foot though, so I'd probably need to get a wider version; possibly might not find favour with the MOD if a more sculpted fit reduces compatibility but I hope they take it on.

That is the thing with defenders really, they've stayed pretty much the same fit forever so one can be confident a new pair will still fit. I can never tell if a new model of boot is going to work out until boot and feet have adjusted to each other, which is far too late to then take back if not. For me, that is where softer fabric boots score well, along with being better for infrequent use; with leather I find it necessary to use frequently enough to keep feet accustomed to them.

But probably this is yet again going off topic; my apologies it seemed relevant when first brought up, but it is rather a niche thing really.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
It does seem narrower mid-foot though, so I'd probably need to get a wider version; possibly might not find favour with the MOD if a more sculpted fit reduces compatibility but I hope they take it on.

All Altberg A-Forme last boots are only available in Medium Fit there is no Wide Fit or other width fitting options available. It might be worth going to an Altberg retailer and trying one of the other A-Forme boots to see whether the last suits your feet.

Agreed about drifting off topic, I only posted it here to keep the info re the Altberg Military Ops boot in one place.

That's me done on this thread.

tetheredgoat

For the sake of neatness, I thought I would follow up on what has become a long and varied thread. Who thought asking a bunch of walkers what boots they prefer would generate five pages of answers?  ::)

First of all Arc'teryx agreed to take my Acrux boots back after I submitted photos. I had had them for 7 months and the fabric had split in two places. Whether they replace them or I get a refund I'm not sure.

Secondly, I would love to have tried a range of boots in one of the many outfits in Snowdonia, but sending the Arc'Teryx back left me without any boots other than my old Scarpa's and whilst they are ok for walking the dog, I didn't want to park my bigger walks whilst I waited for the next announcement from the government.

So I ordered a couple of pairs based on the recommendations. The first was the Altberg Malhams. They are a beautiful boot and with my medium width feet the fit was great - I suspect they would have been great after a few miles but walking around the house and up and down the stairs, the stiff tongue on them just kept cutting in to my leg. My fear that was I would not be able to get them past the wearing in stage and I knew that if I'd been trying them in a shop I wouldn't have bought them. So I arranged a return and then ordered the Berghaus Supalights . They are clearly not the Altbergs but I like the less weight and the soft leather lining. They won't last me for years but I suspect the leather will outperform a canvas boot if I look after it.

I took them for a proper trudge on Friday and managed to bury both shins in mud on the way. By the end of a morning out, I'd pretty much forgotten about them, which I guess is what you want from a pair of boots.

So thanks for all the suggestions - I really do appreciate you all taking the time.

Simon

Kev06

Glad you got a good result, a comfortable fit can be worth its weight in gold and is very individual.

I've always struggled to tell with walking around the house so quite agree it is a risk. For that reason I usually go for brands where the replacement can be expected to still be the same model and fit, even then each new pair can break in somewhat differently though.

Best of luck with the broken boots, too!

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
The first was the Altberg Malhams. They are a beautiful boot and with my medium width feet the fit was great - I suspect they would have been great after a few miles but walking around the house and up and down the stairs, the stiff tongue on them just kept cutting in to my leg. My fear that was I would not be able to get them past the wearing in stage and I knew that if I'd been trying them in a shop I wouldn't have bought them.

I'm glad you got sorted out and I hope you are happy with your choice.

My only comment would be that as an owner and user of the Altberg Malham boots I can confirm that your concerns regarding the stiffness of the leather at the top of the tongue was totally unfounded. After a couple of coats of leather conditioner and following the pre-impregantion waxing process recommended by Whalley Warm & Dry previously posted on the forum the leather does soften considerably. A couple of hours wear round the house and that initial stiffness of the leather at the top of the tongue just vanishes. 

Thomas Pedersson

I came across this topic whilst browsing and felt compelled to add some thoughts.
For many years I've had to use a hospital made orthotic, I've very high arches, hypermobile toes and floppy ankles. To keep me yomping my ankles are braced, so the need so very high ankle boots isn't a necessity. Ive not got wide feet but I do need high volume or wide fit to accommodate feet, orthotics, and and supports.
My favourite brand for many years has been Trezeta, the Evo and Pamir boots in particular have served me well from autumn to late spring in the mountains using kahtoola crampons when required.
For summer I talked myself into Hoka sky kaha. A waste of hard earned money imho, durability was the issue, a similar issue with most fabric and leather footwear on tough terrain, off trail Heather bashing, and woodland terrain they're rubbish with a high price tag.
I decided to try Iturri, I purchased a new pair of their desert high liability boots for summer walking off ebay brand new 11 Wide for £50 and they've been awesome, I carry a pair of DexShell socks incase of downpours, these boots are tough, and I've found them extremely comfortable, I'm not a believer in thick socks two pairs of bridgedale liners has always prevented blisters and hot spots even in my distant running days.
I purchased the MTP Patrol, and the leather insulated gtx high liability boots new at a rediculous price, the MTP have become a go to 3 season boot, super comfy and cope easily with everything I've thrown at them this year from extended tours of the Carneddau to long lake district and north Yorkshire dales trips they've been excellent at a fraction of the cost of trezeta, Altberg, and dreaded hoka. The hi liability boots reminding me of my old Scarpa manta boots in weight and compliance, awaiting cooler weather for more detailed feedback, but in the wet and mud of the private woodland I spend much time, bivvying and nature watching, they've done a fabulous job and dealt with the terrain with flying colours.
The outdoor Market is saturated with brands, claiming this that and the other, I've spent my children's inheritance and more over the years on GAS gear acquisition syndrome 😂 only to go back to more traditional clothing and footwear that has longevity, is repairable, and works for me.
Paramo, buffalo systems for winter, single skin ventile with double layer shoulders for summer rain, and now Iturry military spec boots. I'd gladly buy another pair of trezeta Evo Top boots if the price was right, but until they are I'll stick with my new Spanish footwear companions.

Kev06

Very useful to hear your thoughts on this, thanks for posting them! I've bought yet another pair of alt-berg defenders since this thread began, they're still much cheaper than the civilian models but getting harder and harder to win at low prices.  I was seriously considering widening the net to include Iturri as they seem well regarded in the military, and (IIRC) are currently used for the British cold wet weather model, which is interesting with winter coming up. So your comments on the brand are most encouraging, thank you!

It does seem that the makes also known for walking (alt-berg, meindl, lowa etc) are starting to become a bit too popular as surplus buys. Also, many of them have the moulded PU soles these days, which is a worry for longevity - unless one can establish the Date Of Manufacture or find a model that is known to be recently introduced. There are many from European armies that look interesting but fall into this sort of category, and it is a challenge to work out what models are recent for all the different countries.

Cheers,
Kev

Thomas Pedersson

Hi, I would agree withe advent of stay cations, and also individuals become interested in hill walking, bushcraft etc the prices are rising for certain models, I've Lowa in military issue but always found them narrow even in walking boot models.
So really it's been a revelation discovering Iturri, Haix and Altberg defenders as a great option to regular walking boot brands, that exceeded my expectations.
I'm out most days locally, wandering west lancashire and farther afield at weekends  boots and soles don't last long when your out walking between 7 and 10 miles or more a week.
There is so much kudos on lightweight everything these days and I too became this advocate when Go-lite started up.. A revelation. I've found mixing and matching a forward, I've not used a rucksack for say walks in years preferring the Mountainsmith Day TLS as my constant companion for day walking.
Aku do some mil spec boots I'll need to keep my eyes peeled for a pair to try out.

Thomas Pedersson

Recommending boots. I'll not make recommendations but impart some aftermarket wisdom.
I was the UK ambassador for Oboz footwear in 2016 and befor this I gear tested for many clothing and footwear manufacturers, Trezeta being one of my favourites the Evo top boot is still hard to beat imho, good fun, free gear whether it was good bad or in different.
I have a couple of genetic problems one being hypermobile Elhers danlos syndrome, so I'm super bend, super stretchy and easily prone to injury, especially Feet and Ankles.
You'd need a very high leg boot to support a ankle from rolling, like a stalking boot, which is a uncomfortable boot to use for hiking. So I use sports and proper orthotics to stabise my feet.
The footbeds generally supplied with most walking footwear are useless.
(oboz footbeds are a good attempt)
I was looking for something lighter and decided on Hoka Tor Ultras and sky kaha, a absolute waste of hundreds of pounds, the actual ride and comfort was brilliant, but waterproofness and longevity left a lot to be desired. I subsequently sold them one.
I spend a lot more time since the pandemic in a private woodland, which I'm grateful to have access, bimbling about, bushcrafting, nature watching, photography etc, I purchased a pair of Iturri MOD mtp patrol boots.
These cost £50 brand new boxed, and have been everywhere since spring, they comfortable, as supportive as anything else I've ever used, and membrane free.
On the back of these I purchased the suede desert boots, and a new pair of DexShell socks for wet weather, and not looked back.
I've tested both of them over the summer in dry and inclement conditions in the Carneddau (I'm originally from Rachub nr Bethesda) and regular romps in the Bowland and Ribble Valley areas, I have to say they've been brilliant for me.
I've since started a collection of wide fit iturri boots and realised I've purchased four pairs for the price of Hokas.
I do own a pair of salomon 4D gtx and sadly find them sweaty even using foot deodorant and very narrow low volume footwear, they do get some use with liner socks.
If I hadn't bit the bullet and spent £50 on a leather boot with cambrelle lining I'd be none the wiser, and still buying expensive mainstream outdoor footwear that again for the most part fell very short in my real time experiences.

Mr Why

I have a pair of Hanwag Tatra 2, love them cannot recommend them enough.

Thomas Pedersson

Having tried the Tatra wide fit, also the Bunion, the volume wasn't enough to allow placement of my orthotics, I also tried various Meindl wide fit, The Antelao in particular sadly let down by its carpet slipper flex and lack torsional rigidity.
I've thus discovered as already covered in previous comments that MOD footwear by Iturri, Haix, Altberg is a fantastic fit for Me, and a massive saving on overblown over specified mass produced outdoor footwear.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy