Author Topic: Winter on the way  (Read 6919 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Winter on the way
« Reply #15 on: 08:34:36, 05/12/20 »
Wonderful stuff, Skip - has me reaching for my ice axe! With cold weather for the next few days, perhaps it will stay for a while.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 08:39:03, 05/12/20 »
I couldn't resist going up my local fell on Thursday, just to get my boots in the snow.

Hampsfell Hospice

The dog loved it - but was virtually invisible amongst the patchy snow!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:58:17, 05/12/20 »
We had a couple of inches of snow, the first significant fall of the winter. Most of it has gone, due to following heavy rain. The amount of snow varied significantly over quite a short distance. There was little on the southern slopes of Bennachie, maximum height 528m, but the lower hills to the west of the Howe of Alford were completely white.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:30:37, 05/12/20 »
Lovely short walk yesterday afternoon, evening.  Plenty of snow had fallen on Dartmoor Thursday night and the temp stayed around Zero all day so it had stayed around above 450m.

The view South from Dinger tor towards the heart of the moor.

And a snap of Yes tor as it was getting dark.

We had a warm patch of air pass through last night and it's pretty much gone today.  :(

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:09:16, 05/12/20 »
BuzyG.....what's that on top of the summit please? Looks like some kind of aerial set up.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 23:35:45, 05/12/20 »
BuzyG.....what's that on top of the summit please? Looks like some kind of aerial set up.

The taller pole is a simple flag pole for raising the range flag, when live firing is taking place.  Yes tor is on the Armies Okehampton Training rage.  There is a second pole that I think could be an VHF/UHF radio mast.  There are two army huts at Yes tor.  Not sure what is in them.  The lower one on the east side, certainly has comms to somewhere. as it has the little green plug connection that is common across the ranges.
« Last Edit: 23:44:35, 05/12/20 by BuzyG »

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:57:57, 06/12/20 »
Thanks for the info  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 01:05:10, 20/12/20 »
Just checking the mountain forecast.  Fingers crossed for plenty of snow heading into the new year.  I so hope it holds.  Not getting up to Scotland for a second winter in a row is a loss.  Just thankful we are still free to walk the Moors down here and if the snow arrives properly it will be something fun to enjoy.

Pomster

« Reply #23 on: 11:29:44, 20/12/20 »
I dont tend to take any notice of weather forecasts more than a day or two old, the weather is so unpredictable. I use a few weather sites ... Windy, Windfinder, Sometimes the MetOffice but mainly R.A.S.P
If i'm out on a hike I do what like most people do and just take note as the day progresses
Your mind is like a parachute, it works better when open

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:03:51, 20/12/20 »
Just checking the mountain forecast.  Fingers crossed for plenty of snow heading into the new year.  I so hope it holds.  Not getting up to Scotland for a second winter in a row is a loss.  Just thankful we are still free to walk the Moors down here and if the snow arrives properly it will be something fun to enjoy.

Tue-Fri looking quite good.  Not sure about the New Year forecast, seems a lot of precip, but hopefully can get some lovely crisp sunny days mixed in there with a snowy carpet to cheer everyone up.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:15:45, 20/12/20 »
I dont tend to take any notice of weather forecasts more than a day or two old, the weather is so unpredictable. I use a few weather sites ... Windy, Windfinder, Sometimes the MetOffice but mainly R.A.S.P
If i'm out on a hike I do what like most people do and just take note as the day progresses

They have improved a lot the past twenty years. Thanks to satellites and computers.  They still seem to have know idea what the clouds are doing more than a few days ahead.  But I find the temperature predictions tend to be in the right ball park a week or more ahead. Along with the Met office data, I use this site a lot.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/High-Willhays/forecasts/621

It worked well in New Zealand too, allowing us to find a one day window to climb Mt Tahurangi, in the middle of a southern ocean storm. O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:00:12, 20/12/20 »
Tomorrow night, the most important of the year, (well it is for me) we can all start to look forward to increasing daylight!

Pomster

« Reply #27 on: 21:25:48, 20/12/20 »
BuzyG

A few weeks after lock down finished I was at the top of Whitestone Fell. Forecast was sunny with a western wind direction on my XCWeather phone app
It was hammering it down with a south wind direction. Granted they are better but as I said i look first at RASP on the day and take it from there. If RASP looks good you can usually bet your house on what it says
Your mind is like a parachute, it works better when open

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 22:03:51, 20/12/20 »
BuzyG

A few weeks after lock down finished I was at the top of Whitestone Fell. Forecast was sunny with a western wind direction on my XCWeather phone app
It was hammering it down with a south wind direction.

What do you expect using XCWeather.  ;D

I have that site in my weather favourites, but only for the wind map, Which I find better than on other sites.   The actual overall weather predictions are vague/hopeless. IMHO.

The trick is to look at several trusted sites and have some understanding of what is likely to be valid data from each site.  A hangover from my surfing days is I spend hours studying weather data ahead of most walks.

I have no weather apps at all on my phone.  Once on the hill it's a bit late for a day walker like me.  ;)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 14:25:52, 30/12/20 »
Well happily the forecast from two weeks ago was spot on.  Time to get the winter gear out and enjoy some snow and ice for a few days at least.  :) O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy