Author Topic: Foulshaw Moss Ospreys are back (webcam)  (Read 20491 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Foulshaw Moss Ospreys are back (webcam)
« Reply #120 on: 08:48:25, 11/06/21 »
I've noticed a few times now that the male will feed the 2 larger chicks until they are full and then he and the smaller one will feed on what is left.

Does anyone else also use this webcam to check what the weather is like in Cumbria?

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #121 on: 09:05:48, 11/06/21 »
Does anyone else also use this webcam to check what the weather is like in Cumbria?
Yes when the weather is coming from the northwest as I live in Yorkshire so I can see actually what we are likely to get.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #122 on: 19:13:29, 12/06/21 »
Dad just came back with a big fish, mother took control and moved over closer to the little one. The little one got one bit of fish when one of the larger ones chased the little one away and pecked the back of its neck. Now face down facing away from the food, not happy but perhaps it will get some food later!

Edit: 19.20 Now getting fed after the greedy guts have filled themselves up.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #123 on: 19:19:45, 13/06/21 »
I think we are all rooting for that little one aren't we? The underdog.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #124 on: 07:00:04, 14/06/21 »
Yes  O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #125 on: 07:08:47, 14/06/21 »
Obviously want them all to do well but yes, particularly the little one.
We are British after all, the sort of people who support Macclesfield Town rather than Manchester City.

He's just having a good breakfast.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #126 on: 11:47:37, 17/06/21 »
Now that the dot watching has finished, it's back to Ospreys!  Just saw the three chicks stood up in a row, clearly Tiny (as I know him/her) is a bit behind his siblings in development, ie size and plumage, but he was stood up and trying to hold his own.  Fingers, having uncrossed this morning when Sabrina crossed the line, are now back to being firmly crossed for all three of these fabulous birds.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #127 on: 07:59:35, 18/06/21 »
Looks a nice day in Cumbria, it's pouring down here.

Can someone with ornithological knowledge tell me what is likely to happen to Tiny when the other 2 fledge. Presumably they will still be being fed in the nest but will he have to catch up at some point or is he at risk of being left behind?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #128 on: 08:10:48, 18/06/21 »

It is a glorious day in Cumbria, shame I have to work. I must try to watch the osprey stuff, (not had much time, it's just been manic at work and has been for ages), I need to know what happens to Tiny!
Hate will never win

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #129 on: 21:31:29, 18/06/21 »

Can someone with ornithological knowledge tell me what is likely to happen to Tiny when the other 2 fledge. Presumably they will still be being fed in the nest but will he have to catch up at some point or is he at risk of being left behind?
I think it is a 'watch this space' scenario - with fingers and toes crossed for him.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #130 on: 20:13:33, 21/06/21 »
Who flew in to camera 2 and knocked it out of position?

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #131 on: 12:32:41, 22/06/21 »
Whichever one it was must have reversed direction and bumped it again as it is now back to normal.  I guess that if you can get a drone to fly on the moon it isn't beyond the wit of man (can you say that now or is it beyond the wit of a person whatever sex they were born with) to change the direction of the camera!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #132 on: 12:17:29, 24/06/21 »
Very unimpressed chicks just now when Dad arrived without any food and then started doing the housework (nestwork?) which mainly consisted of moving a twig about so that it hit them over them head.
The bigger 2 were giving their wings a few practice stretches.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #133 on: 13:00:17, 24/06/21 »
I saw them eating earlier, one wasn't interested, the other got a bit of straw stuck in its beak and disappeared trying to get it out so the little one (not so little anymore) ate until it didn't want anymore! The dad seems to be a good provider in general as he seems to be able to bring fish back many times a day, the mother then usually snatches it away to feed the youngsters.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #134 on: 17:49:56, 24/06/21 »
Two of them were flapping their wings so hard before they were almost falling out of the nest! I wonder how long it will be before they manage to fly? I see Tiny is not so tiny any more.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy