Author Topic: My last Pennine Way  (Read 9039 times)

Sevenup

emdaw

Re: My last Pennine Way
« Reply #31 on: 19:33:08, 15/06/21 »
Well done, hope you enjoyed yourself. Did you have to book campsites or were you able to just turn up. We have been trying to organise the PW for the couple of years but covid has scuppered our plans twice. We were going to backpack but use B & B but am now thinking of camping for the flexibility it gives, maybe take more time to allow for the extra weight to be carried.  Anyway really good to see you have completed O0 O0 O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:59:01, 15/06/21 »
The tent looks like the one I saw but it also looks a bit different as well? The young man who owned it said it was a 2 person Big Agnes, that's all I can remember about it, but it sure looked good.

When I camped on a campsite I just turned up, no problems at all, everyone one most helpful, until the very end at Kirk Yetholm! I finished the walk late and arrived at the campsite entrance at 9.45 pm. The entrance notice said to phone their number if late which I did and a lady told me that they do not accept walk-in hikers, so I was turned away.

No matter though, I went back to the pub near the Pennine Way sign and the landlady suggested I should just camp on the village green, which I did, it was free and as she said, it's allowed. It's Scotland!

She said I could use the pub toilet and invited me into breakfast the next morning, £10 per head.

If you experience a camping site problem I'm sure it's going to be at the beginning of the hike. You can camp at Crowden and as far as I know the next campsite is at Cowling, which is an excellent one. The owner brews his own beer!

I believe there may be a pub campsite on the A62? You have to turn right at the road and walk about half a mile to it. I think it's called the Carriage House? If you choose to divert into Marsden though as I did and then return to the Pennine Way you will miss the Carriage House, by then it will be behind you. Which is why I wild camped that night.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 20:07:23, 15/06/21 »
I've just had a look at the Bing Maps OS map, if you decide to hike into Marsden for food and drink you can backtrack on yourself a bit on the Standedge Trail which then arrives directly at the Carriage House. I obviously didn't notice that option for myself.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 20:38:01, 15/06/21 »
As a final thought, in my humble opinion, the two A to Z A5 map booklets are the best on the market. I didn't take mine with me but for looking at and studying I believe they are really hard to beat.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 20:47:22, 15/06/21 »
I'll add my congratulations on your PW, excellent going  O0

My wife is a year ahead of you and our Arans 2-day trip two weeks ago has KO'd her for a little while, albeit after an 18-month layoff.

Was that tent like our 2-person Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 as seen in that report?. The basic shape is a hexagon, but with the head and foot ends pegged and stretched it could be seen as an uneven octagon.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 10:49:03, 16/06/21 »
I so admired that tent, it looked so good even Mrs. Bucket would have admired it as well. I think it's the same tent as yours, and yes the final shape appeared to be an uneven octagon.

When the young man was erecting it, he just pegged out the octagonal footprint, then organised the poles and inner tent, and then threw over and secured the outer tent. When completed I could see one opening, I didn't notice if there were two or not but I immediately noticed that once sorted out there wasn't a wrinkle or dip in the material at all, it looked perfect. I'm colour blind and I thought it was a dark red but I think now it must have been a dark orange. It definitely wasn't green. I should have had a proper conversation with him about it but I was too polite to be so nosey. He did tell me that it was a 2-person tent, he had researched it very carefully, and also told me it was very light to carry.

I like my tent but mine looked sad beside his. James had started his LEJOG in early April and had experienced all of the severe and wet weather that we all had at that time. His worst period was hiking through Somerset.

emdaw

« Reply #37 on: 19:55:44, 16/06/21 »
Thanks GWM very helpful info. I think the site you mention near cowling is Squirrel Wood which I have heard very good reports of.  O0

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 21:23:37, 16/06/21 »
Pennine way at 76? Gee whizz, I couldn't do it now! Respect  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 22:10:56, 16/06/21 »
That's the site, Squirrel Wood at Cowling, First class!
The other first-class site is Ivy Hall Campsite, at Bowes (077 7649 1253) the site is next to the footpath, the lady owner is charming and very helpful and there is a good pub just down the road.
If I ever did the Pennine Way again (I won't) I would never hike the other Pennine Way route again, Bowes and the campsite are situated just in the right place. The next day is just a good stroll to Middleton on Teesdale.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 14:31:38, 17/06/21 »
Congratulations, very impressive !

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 21:41:44, 17/06/21 »
Congratulations GWM
Well done .
Excellent achievement
Glad you managed to Walk,Hike The Pennine Way Safely .
and It All worked out for you .
The weather was In your favour
Glad it all went to plan ,driving to Edale Staying overnight
 and getting the good Start you needed to accomplish all what you set out to do .
Would you say
Going from South to North Was the Best way
and all worked getting campsites and Wild camping spots .

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 16:29:16, 20/06/21 »
Well GWM good effort, I hope to get to do the PW again sometime but it will ahve to be when im' fully recovered from my hip replacement.Suirrel Wood Campsite near Cowling is now only allowing camping if you pre book. They don't allow you jus turn up any more after a series of non payers. They would just say, ok, pitch and we will see you later about the fee. If they had merely made campers pay before they pitch, that problem would have been solved, so in a way, it was of their own making.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 17:36:04, 20/06/21 »
What a pity I really enjoyed that site, and the owner's homemade beer and his wife's homemade wine. The camping area was very nice flat grass, and in a small hut on-site you could get free coffee and tea. I thought it a well-thought-out service, but I'm sure you are right, collect the money at the beginning, there are always people that will try to sneak off without paying!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 19:48:40, 12/07/21 »
Squirrel Wood campsite, Update. They do once again allow campers to just turn up, but you must pay before pitching your tent. The owner denied ever stating that he ever said they were not taking campers anymore, which he definately did in a facebook post, which was later deleted prior to his denials. Walkers say they found the campsite and owners very good and helpful, but he made a facebook post ranting that campers were no longer welcome. That post was deleted by the group admins of which I am one, due the offensive nature and bad language. Next day, changed his mind, saying campers would be allowed providing they pre booked, then day after that campers could just turn up and pay before pitching. The mind boggles!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy