Author Topic: How to avoid blisters and other feet problems  (Read 1229 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
How to avoid blisters and other feet problems
« on: 10:01:14, 21/06/21 »
I know 'blisters' have been discussed many times before but whilst on the Pennine Way I met up with three hikers and we had a long talk about them.

I didn't get any but the other three people did. I've come to the conclusion that blisters can only be solved by deciding that it's an individual matter, there may be universal reasons for them but we all wondered if these really help us to avoid them?

We all agreed that the distance of the hike, the terrain, the twisting of feet back and forth as uneven surfaces are walked on, inside boot temperature, the boots and socks we choose and the weight we may carry are all or individually contributing factors to bear in mind. I also believe that supple skin is important to avoid blisters but supple skin can perhaps be more prone to them as well?

I told them my experience, that I used to get blisters until I started to buy women's boots. I also realised that in my case if I am going to get blisters it's going to be on my small toes. As I studied my feet and the way I walked I noticed that most of the wear on my soles was along each out edge which told me that my feet were tilting to one side as I hiked and the most pressue was on my little toes. So I inserted half a trainer insert along each outer edge. So by tilting my feet back to neutral the pressure came away from my small toes. I also recognise when the 'tingles'; begin I act instantly as best I can, taking my socks off, turning them inside out, putting in an insert or taking out an insert, I wash my feet, I massage them, in fact, I do anything to change what has started to go on in my boots. And as a routine I will do this about 4 times a day. For me, I'm confident that it's paid off, about 260 miles and no blisters, for me total bliss.

I have also learned that when buying new books I use the sensitivity of the ends of my fingers to seek out any protruding spot inside the boot, maybe a tiny piece of thread or even a slight bump, anything can cause problems after a few days. These days no matter what, I always get out my half round end hammer and bash the inside heel area before I begin to use them, or will do it at a later date because I know from experience that if I'm going to have a problem it's going to start at my heels.

Although I no longer get blisters I am always aware that I could again so I am also aware of my weakness, I do not understand the role of socks, I bought a variety over the years, some work well, some don't but I can't pinpoint why they do or don't. I took two pairs of Bridgedale socks with me and on the hike 'burning' feet was my main problem. So uncomfortable, washing and cooling my feet helped a lot but only for a while, by the time I got to Hawes I was really annoyed with them and bought new socks in the local shop. It helped but it was the 'burning' feet sensation that was the main feature of my walk even to the end. I carried some anti-Covid 19 gel with me, I used most of it to cool and keep my feet dry, it works on my hands and it definately worked on my feet.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: How to avoid blisters and other feet problems
« Reply #1 on: 11:34:20, 21/06/21 »
I have been fortunate and never suffered blisters, from walking. Perhaps I don't walk the miles day on day that others do.  I have felt them forming a number of times and sorted/cooled them and adjusted my socks removed bits of grit etc, before they have blistered.  From that point of view I would say stop and sort out you foot comfort at the first sign, every time, rather than push on. Obviously your boots/ shoes need to fit in the first place.   With boots I have always worn Suitable warm wool socks over cotton sports socks.  Thus far I have also always had leather based boots and shoes. 
« Last Edit: 11:39:16, 21/06/21 by BuzyG »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:56:21, 21/06/21 »
GWM - Athletes foot cream or tea tree oil rubbed into your feet/between your toes after a shower cures the burning feet feeling.  The added bonus is that it acts a bit like an anti-chafing cream and helps stop toe blisters too.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:41:37, 21/06/21 »
I only really suffered with blisters in my early days of walking for leisure. I wore boots from the outset because I thought that was what proper walkers wore - after all, Country Walking Magazine always referred to 'boots-on walking'!

Once I discovered that walking shoes (and later trail shoes) were far more to my liking than boots, I stopped getting blisters. Coincidence perhaps? I don't think so, because I acquired a pair of leather walking boots (free of charge) a few years ago and every time I tried them I got blisters.

I still wear what I think is appropriate for the terrain and the weather, which does occasionally mean wearing boots, but the great majority of the time I prefer to wear lightweight, non-GTX, cushioned trail shoes such as my current favourites: Merrell's brilliant Moab Speed.

I've never worn two pairs of socks at the same time. I really don't like having warm feet, so I wear the lightest weight socks that I can get away with. My current favourites are Bridgedale's Ultra Light Coolmax.

So basically, my approach to not getting blisters is to not have sweaty feet and to only wear boots when absolutely necessary.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:48:35, 21/06/21 »
Wearing boots that actually fit properly is a good place to start.  That means buying them from a shop with properly trained staff who are prepared to take the time and trouble to do a thorough job and to sell you the boots you need rather than the boots you want.
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:53:37, 21/06/21 »
Wearing boots that actually fit properly is a good place to start.  That means buying them from a shop with properly trained staff who are prepared to take the time and trouble to do a thorough job and to sell you the boots you need rather than the boots you want.

I agree. Before the Canterbury Cotswold Outdoor store was forced to close, I was always very impressed with their staff's expertise and willingness to take their time with customers (especially the regulars who visited on weekdays!).

The first thing they always recommended when I was buying boots was that I walk the 6 miles to Canterbury from Whitstable to get my feet ready for the fitting.

My experience with shoes is very different though. I always bought shoes in person before the first lockdown last year, but since then I've only ever bought them online. I've bought seven pairs of walking and trail shoes in the last year and a bit - two were 'repeat orders' for models that had worn out, while the other five pairs were all bought based on comments about sizing and reviews I trust and all have fitted me perfectly.  O0
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Perranwell

« Reply #6 on: 18:21:57, 21/06/21 »
I used to get lots of awful blisters when I was young. I thought it was par for the course, and that you had to stick plasters on them and tough it out. Nowadays I don't really get blisters. I put that down to comfortable leather walking shoes mainly. I wear two thin pairs of wool socks. Learned that from reading John Hillaby but have no proof it helps against the blisters. I don't wear walking socks these days, just normal thin wool socks.

In the early days of a long hike I do feel pressure spots forming on the tops of some outer toes. After a day, I stick Leukotape over them, and they cause me no further trouble.

I'm a big fan of Leukotape. Bought a roll of it a few years ago--expensive tackle but looks as if it'll last forever. Very thin and sticks on firmly, in effect making a second skin. Unlike plasters, it doesn't come back off. You can shower or go swimming with it on, and it stays put. Mightn't be a good idea to use on a burst blister; but on pressure spots it works well, as there's no open wound. For hikes, I take few actual plasters. Instead I bring bits of Leukotape of all sizes, stuck to label backing. I also bring a tiny, foldable pair of scissors, which for me are essential kit--especially for cutting the tape the right shape and size.

I suspect blisters are more likely to form if you get your boots wet. I rarely do. But one time I accidentally plunged thigh-high into a swamp. My shoes took three days to dry, during which I felt pressure spots starting.

I wear cloth gaiters, the ones from Montane. These keep grit and chaff out of my shoes. This saves me from having to keep taking my shoes off to remove irritants but also probably protects against certain types of blisters. I am always being asked about my Montane cloth gaiters--I've never seen any other walkers wearing them.

Overall, though, I think having the right footwear is the main preventer of blisters. I wear my walking shoes as everyday shoes too, so there's no unaccustomed challenge to my feet when I go hiking. It's difficult to wear in a new pair of shoes or boots fully in advance of hiking a long trail, as the proof is in the pudding. So by wearing my walking shoes as daily shoes, I ensure they fit my feet like a glove before going serious yomping.

WildWanderer

« Reply #7 on: 19:10:51, 21/06/21 »
I've heard of people 'taping up' their feet, but never had a major issue with my feet. I think the previous point made on decent, well-fitting boots to be an essential one though. Also, I don't know anyone's mentioned walking 'technique', but people who slip their feet in their shoes are likely to be significantly more likely to develop them.
Developer of Wander [nofollow] Android App [nofollow]

Casual Ambler

« Reply #8 on: 20:19:30, 21/06/21 »
Back in the scouts we were advised to toughen our feet up by bathing them in surgical spirits. I don't recall having any walk wrecking blisters so it probably worked along with the full leather walking boots, before they started using gore-tex.
quod tibi non vis fieri, alteri ne feceris

Mary_walker

« Reply #9 on: 21:08:55, 21/06/21 »
For me it happens if my feet sweat. I take  my boots out every 2 or 3 hours and if my socks are wet change them. This way I rarely get any blister. I also have heard some people toughen their feet with black tea or henna. I haven't personally tried them.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:07:41, 22/06/21 »
Been a double socker since I started walking in the hills over 50 years ago, rarely had a blister.
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:52:49, 22/06/21 »
The real answer, is to look after your feet, ensuring your toenails are correctly trimmed, and any rough skin, is taken care of.

Probably the main reason for walkers getting blisters, is poorly maintained socks, or socks that simply do not fit properly.
When we are walking, especially in hot weather, our feet heat up incredibly, and sweat profusely, resulting in hot spots on certain parts of the feet.

If your socks are poorly fitted, or have rough edges around the seams, then your foot can rub on these areas, causing eventual blisters.

Invest in really high quality socks, designed for walkers, with my all time favourites being 1000mile twin skins.

If you already have rough skin on the soles of your feet, then this can lead to blisters, but routine foot maintenance and high quality correct fitting socks, should result in fewer blisters.
« Last Edit: 19:31:13, 22/06/21 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:38:40, 22/06/21 »
I accept and agree with all of your opinions but I've never yet read conclusive proof or have been offered good enough information to convince me that blisters are caused by one thing only, socks and boots obviously matter but all sorts of other things matter as well, walking style, weight carried, etc, etc. I'm convinced that when the debate is applied to us as individuals, no answer will be the be-all and end-all answer.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:31:46, 22/06/21 »
I accept and agree with all of your opinions but I've never yet read conclusive proof or have been offered good enough information to convince me that blisters are caused by one thing only, socks and boots obviously matter but all sorts of other things matter as well, walking style, weight carried, etc, etc. I'm convinced that when the debate is applied to us as individuals, no answer will be the be-all and end-all answer.
For most walkers, blisters  do have a primary cause - friction.  Eliminate the friction, eliminate the blister.  How you do that depends on what is causing the friction.  A secondary cause of blisters is excessive moisture or perspiration clogging the sweat pores in the feet.  However this tends to a warm weather phenomenon and is more associated with runners.
Solvitur Ambulando

JohnpM

« Reply #14 on: 17:49:46, 21/08/21 »
A liberal dose of vaseline over both feet before a day's march keeps blisters at bay for me.
Boots that fit are a must also. Smartwool socks are the best for mitigating the worst blister-producing effects of submerging your boots in water.
Also, I never go hiking without blister plasters. Comp**d is the best in my opinion.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy