Author Topic: Langdales wild camp spots  (Read 3862 times)

RubberSoul

Langdales wild camp spots
« on: 20:34:29, 21/06/21 »
Hi all, I'm going to be in the Langdales in a month or so and hoping to do a few wild camps.

Any suggestions for wild camp spots greatly appreciated.
Perhaps by a nice tarn?
Or up high on a plateau/or on or near a summit?

Cheers RS

Ferret

Re: Langdales wild camp spots
« Reply #1 on: 12:56:44, 22/06/21 »
If you want to camp near a tarn, Stickle Tarn in the heart of the Langdale Pikes might be an option. Just follow the path at the back of th Stickle Barn pub.

Otherwise, Angle Tarn or Sprinkling Tarn might be options. Simplest way to get there would be to follow the Cumbria Way, from the Old Dungeon Ghyll for 1.75 miles then fork left at a footbridge and climb for another mile to reach the former, with the latter being a further 1.5 miles further on.

I will add the caveat that while I've seen tents at all of these spots, I've not camped at any of them personally so I'm not sure how ideal they'd be. They are all certainly picturesque & dramatic though.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:11:10, 22/06/21 »
I saw no less than 4 tents at Angle Tarn mid week last September, a place to avoid in my opinion, unless you are going completely out of season. Same applies to Stickle Tarn etc.

I camped just north of the summit of Esk Pike the night before I walked past Angle Tarn - I had a lovely pitch on wiry grass, I had the mountain to myself, and it felt like I was on the roof of the world. No nearby water though, but I was prepared (I found water just south of Ore Gap). https://wildaboutwalking.wordpress.com/lake-district/langdale-round-great-end/

For an out of the way spot near water, you could consider the Three Tarns between Bowfell and Crinkle Crags, or for guaranteed peace and quiet, one of the many small tarns on the plateau south of Crinkle Crags or on Wrynose Fell, the rough country east of Pike O'Blisco.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:32:47, 22/06/21 »
Unless you want to feel like you are on a campsite I would avoid Stickle Tarn and Angle Tarn. We walked by there the other week and Stickle Tarn had 3 tents there and it was midday! We passed Angle Tarn the next morning about 8am and there must have been at least 15 tents there.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:47:33, 22/06/21 »
..We passed Angle Tarn the next morning about 8am and there must have been at least 15 tents there.

:o Not my idea of wild camping, I must say. Might as well be on a campsite.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:52:44, 22/06/21 »
It is the same at Sprinkling Tarn, that is like a campsite too, much better finding an unknown spot somewhere away from the popular places.
Hate will never win

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:26:45, 23/06/21 »
. . . Might as well be on a campsite.

And, what's more, a campsite without any facilities. Avoid Stickle Tarn, Angle Tarn, Sprinkling Tarn, and Styhead Tarn at busy times - they are treated by some people as open sewers.

Skip

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:46:30, 23/06/21 »
You could do worse than somewhere like Lingmoor Fell. It’s got the views of the good stuff rather than being on the good stuff, will likely be fairly quiet, there’s a tarn and there’s a lot less ascent to drag your kit up.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:38:00, 26/06/21 »
Good call.

RubberSoul

« Reply #9 on: 11:26:49, 30/06/21 »
Hi All,
Thank you very much for all of your replies. I am having a rethink. I want to be away from crowds, even small groups. I have some other areas I might potentially explore so will post on here when I have narrowed them down. Thank you again everyone

RubberSoul

« Reply #10 on: 11:58:34, 30/06/21 »
ok, so weather permitting I will hopefully try out the suggestion from Richard (Esk Pike), and will ditch the langdale tarns as I will be going at a busy time. I'll have a good walk around them but not a wild camp.  I'll also take a look at the Bowfell-Vrinkle crags area for a possible wild camp too.

A freind might be joining me for a few walks and a wild camp towards Wasdale. He suggested the two tarns near WastWater (Greedndale Tarn and Low Tarn). Have any of you camped there before? Or any other suggestions for Wasdale / Eskdale wild camp spots or perhaps more importanly where not to wild camp during busy summer times. That info above by the way was great, really appreciate your assistance

Also, once I nail down a rough plan Anyone is welcome to join me for walks or wild camps. I'll post again nearer the time anyway.

snoopdawg

« Reply #11 on: 12:15:22, 30/06/21 »
Eskdale some excellent spots on the Great moss in the shadow of Scafell Pike and also the area below the three tarns/Bowfell.

Wasdale good spots on the way up to Styhead, don't take the rising path that skirts Gt Gable, leave that path and follow the old route up by the stream

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:49:27, 04/07/21 »
ok, so weather permitting I will hopefully try out the suggestion from Richard (Esk Pike), and will ditch the langdale tarns as I will be going at a busy time. I'll have a good walk around them but not a wild camp.  I'll also take a look at the Bowfell-Vrinkle crags area for a possible wild camp too.

Good luck with your wild camp - hope that it goes well.  :)  Bear in mind what I said about the lack of water.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy