Author Topic: Have you walked for a 'purpose' or because of personal interest.  (Read 6091 times)

Lee R

We/I just do half or full day walks. Usually somewhere between 5-10 miles on average I guess.

I base a lot of my walks around photography so that means I'll pick days with favourable weather, spare time & link that in with locations. On a slight tangent, I do like to plan a walk to take a photo of a certain place, scene, etc though. Sort of gives an aim & a purpose to it. I once parked several miles away from the below ex-Masonic Hall with the sole purpose of the 5-6 mile walk being to photograph it en route :)

*** by Lee, on Flickr

At the moment clear skies isn't much good for photos so I've been setting 3:30-4:00am alarms to be out walking before sunrise. Overcast day I'll plan a woodland/forest type walk. Blue skies & fluffy white clouds, a countryside walk.....

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Much of the time I just walk because I enjoy it and it keeps me reasonably fit, ready for those trips to tougher ground. 

I have been tor bagging the past 5 years too.  Of course the list of named lumps of rock is different on different maps, so that can make for some fun interesting detective work, which all adds to the planning and enjoyment of a walk. I have pretty much done all bar those on private land.  The question now is..... Ask or trespass?

GnP

• Veteran Member
I walk alone to put my life into some sort of perspective & to stay in touch with nature . I also walk with family , so we can engage with each other away from some of the mundane episodes of home and to have fun .  :)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
I walk to escape the noise, rushing around, crowds and pollution of modern life. I really enjoy seeing nature, even though in the UK very little is truly wild. Mountains, coasts, fields, forests, moorland, riverside all have their own attractions. I particularly like to see wildlife, both here and abroad, and try to capture this on camera. I have been fortunate to walk in many wonderful places and walking plus photography give me a reason to visit new places, preferably those with few people and even fewer British holidaymakers.

rambling oldie

On my own and in a group.  I lead a U3A Rambling Group in NE Hants, so routes are planned in OS Maps then printed out and I walk on my own or with one friend to do a thorough recce.  Wonderful peaceful countryside.  Then I lead a group of about 20 lovely people on the route and some of us lunch in a pub afterwards.  
It doesn’t get much better.  
 :)  

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
You must miss the pub, I know I do.

rambling oldie

Not 'arf I do  :(

Toxicbunny

I walk as I love the outdoors and nature. I love all the menhirs and stone circles and usually base walks round some historical significance rather than just a walk.  I usually do 10 to 15 miles as I also walk my dog you can never tire a sled dog out.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I walk as I love the outdoors and nature. I love all the menhirs and stone circles and usually base walks round some historical significance rather than just a walk.  I usually do 10 to 15 miles as I also walk my dog you can never tire a sled dog out.
Are you perhaps a descendant of the great Obélix?
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

Are you perhaps a descendant of the great Obélix?
Possibly I find all the old cup and ring markings and bronze age burial mounds on the moors facinating.  There are a lot of old marked stones and I love stone circles. There are many on the moors in remote places.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Possibly I find all the old cup and ring markings and bronze age burial mounds on the moors facinating.  There are a lot of old marked stones and I love stone circles. There are many on the moors in remote places.
Barningham Moor SW of Barningham is a great area for cup and ring markings.
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

Barningham Moor SW of Barningham is a great area for cup and ring markings.
Thankyou for that one I will take a look.  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Thankyou for that one I will take a look.  O0
If you turn on the Google Earth Community layer in the Gallery layer in GoogleEarth, someone has marked them (blue "i" symbol)
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

If you turn on the Google Earth Community layer in the Gallery layer in GoogleEarth, someone has marked them (blue "i" symbol)
I will take a look at it thanks

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
There are lots of stone circles and Pictish stones in Aberdeenshire

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy