Author Topic: Chinley. Short break.  (Read 667 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Chinley. Short break.
« on: 17:25:43, 29/06/12 »
Just got back from a short break at Chinley. Will give a brief "report", but really only reason I'm posting this is to say I think its a cracking base to use for a short walking holiday, and well worth considering as an alternative to Edale.

I booked a self catering holiday let (called Ashlea) very close to Chinley station, which was really good. On Wednesday, had a pub meal with a friend, then walked down to Chesterfield station. Got to Chinley about three, and walked to Ashlea, about 300 yards from station. Stowed gear, etc. About 5pm walked to the Old Hall Inn, had fish and chips, and a couple of pints. There's another pub about 50 yards from the Old Hall, but stretched my legs a  little and walked to Crown and Mitre at New Smithy.

Next day. I'd used memory map to plot a route that was really just  a 10 mile rectangular circuit centred on Chinley. (Got as far as Buxworth in one direction, and South Head in another.) No great plan, just something to get a feel for area, as I like the place, and will probably do longer walks here in future. Wonderful views. Came across just one other walker.

Today. Had breakfast, and packed up early. Plan was to walk to Edale, and get a train home from there.  Anyway walked length of Cracken Edge to Peep O'Day. Then across road, up to South Head again, but this time go on to Brown Knowl, and from Brown Knowl walk up to Kinder Edge, with intention of coming off Edge as soon as I get to top of Jacob's Ladder.

Some how or other, I got interested in something, and noticed I'd gone past top of Jacob's Ladder. I "debated" for about a milli-second whether to go on to top of Grindsbrook Clough, and descend from there. But I took a sacred vow 6 months ago to never descend that Clough again. So basically I just descend down the open hillside on a diagonal route to hit Jacob's ladder "amidships". Once on the ladder again just follow the well beaten track to Edale.

Dave_NMN

Re: Chinley. Short break.
« Reply #1 on: 15:17:26, 30/06/12 »
Stayed for a week in Barber Booth last September. Made it over to Old Hall Chinley twice; first for BeerFest on the 24th (with the important aside...Plum Porter, MaryRose Bitter, BeeKeeper, Tsar, Fathomless and rounding out with Wild Mule) the second time  for dinner after a power outage hit the valley on Monday...shame that forced me out for dinner but needs-must. Power restored 8:30pm.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy