Author Topic: Tarptent Notch Li dyneema 1 person tent review. Updated 2020 version.  (Read 5915 times)

WILDWALKINGUK

I've included a link to my review of Tarptents updated Notch Li walking pole supported dyneema one person tent. I have been using a Tarptent Stratospire Li two person tent for a while, when hiking with my family. And Love it. It's light weight enough to carry when camping on my own but it's sometimes hard to find a pitch for it due to it's large footprint. The Notch is still a good size for one person but smaller and even lighter weight. So when Tarptent updated it and made it much more suitable for UK condition, I just had to buy one. I wasn't disappointed and think it's the best tent I've ever used. If you don't walk with hiking poles you can buy tent poles to support it and it would still be a good weight.  https://wildwalkinguk.com/2020/06/24/tarptent-notch-li/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Good review - looks like an excellent 3 season tent. But there is no way that I could justify the cost.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

watershed

Interesting review Wildwalking.
This is the tent that I spoke about buying, a few months ago, on this forum. To use on a multi day hike I had planned for this spring.
I held of buying it because of the virus and the imminent update.
I will definitely get one if I decide to attempt my walk next year.
I will watch your longer term reviews with great interest.
I see that you think it is probably the best 1 man tent you have had, as that was also the impression that I had, having trawled what reviews I could find and read between the lines with regard to my personal requirements.

WILDWALKINGUK

There is a standard Notch that is nearly half the price of the dyneema version. Tarptent have updated it but from what I can see, I think the solid inner is still all mesh at the top unlike the Li which has solid roof material on the inner.
The only reservations I have is will the dyneema last as long as the usual materials used to make tents.
I should be heading off shortly for a couple of months testing the tent and will update the review with my findings.
Thanks for your messages and Good luck with your walks and the weather as lockdown ends.

watershed

Hi once again Wildwalking,  
When I enquired about this tent Henry said that it could be used with "pistol grip" Pacemaker walking poles.
can you confirm that this would be feasible?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
There is a standard Notch that is nearly half the price of the dyneema version. Tarptent have updated it but from what I can see, I think the solid inner is still all mesh at the top unlike the Li which has solid roof material on the inner.
The only reservations I have is will the dyneema last as long as the usual materials used to make tents.
I should be heading off shortly for a couple of months testing the tent and will update the review with my findings.
Thanks for your messages and Good luck with your walks and the weather as lockdown ends.

Look forward to your update. I've just bought a new tent and I would risk divorce if I bought another!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WILDWALKINGUK

Yes. I've the same problem. She took it very well I think... and seems to be encouraging me to go off hiking for a few months.  ;)

April

• Veteran Member
The tent is a very similar shape to the Trekkertent Drift, we had the 2 man custom version and I loved it. Beefy wasn't as keen on it because it didn't have the head room all the way across the tent. Yours looks like a great tent, very light and if I had the spare money I would like to have one for solo stuff. I don't do solo trips that often so the cost rules that out.

Our Drift was excellent in strong winds; I was always sceptical about trekking pole tents but it took quite a battering and always held up. I assume your tent will do the same and I hope you have a wonderful time using it. I look forward to hearing about your trips in it.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Looks like a great tent, shame tarptent have no uk dealers  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

WILDWALKINGUK

I thought the same, it's a shame they haven't got UK dealers, but I've now purchased 2 tents from the American based Tarptent. I've had no issues at all, both tents took 20 days from ordering to me receiving them. So it's OK with me.

beefy

• Veteran Member
I think the added tax, and custom fees put a lot of people off,
Shame more uk companies dont make DCF tents

Apache

• Account Closed
I think the added tax, and custom fees put a lot of people off,
Shame more uk companies dont make DCF tents

The VAT and Import duty is fair enough. It is the outrageous £8+ that the courier charges to collect it that I object to. I did buy a watch from the US and got a prepaid import tax deal which saved money.

WILDWALKINGUK

I think the price even with the import tax, is competitive with equivalent tents available in the UK. I like to buy and review UK products, but I twice e.mailed the only UK based dyneema tent maker that I know of and never had a response, before buying from America.
The Drift tent mentioned is not anywhere near the same as the Notch as best as I can make out. But that's just my opinion, it's nice we all have such choice and our own minds to decide what's best for us individually.
Happy holidays everyone, we'll soon be free. I'm setting of to walk the length of the UK again shortly. Including the Scottish National Trail. Can't wait.   :D

https://wildwalkinguk.com/2019/12/01/my-scottish-national-trail-walk/

April

• Veteran Member
The Drift tent mentioned is not anywhere near the same as the Notch as best as I can make out. But that's just my opinion, it's nice we all have such choice and our own minds to decide what's best for us individually.

I did skim read your review I have to admit, I found the adverts were very irritating. It was the apex shape I was referring to, when looking at the tent when both doors were open about the similarity between the Drift Custom and your tent. Also with it being a trekking pole tent. The equivalent 2 person tent from Tarptent, the Stratospire Li would be too small for us being only 114cm wide so we wouldn't bother with that one if we were to spend that sort of money on a tent. It is nice we all have such choice and our own minds :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
I did skim read your review I have to admit, I found the adverts were very irritating. It was the apex shape I was referring to, when looking at the tent when both doors were open about the similarity between the Drift Custom and your tent. Also with it being a trekking pole tent. The equivalent 2 person tent from Tarptent, the Stratospire Li would be too small for us being only 114cm wide so we wouldn't bother with that one if we were to spend that sort of money on a tent. It is nice we all have such choice and our own minds :)
I do like the look of the strat though, with a half solid inner, and light O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy