Author Topic: How do you 'publish' the hikes that you've done?  (Read 3381 times)

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Re: How do you 'publish' the hikes that you've done?
« Reply #45 on: 10:48:17, 24/08/20 »
Until recently I just wrote travel reports (like one had a photo album with some storytelling in the past) just for myself (to preserve the memories) and to share with friends and family in pdf format (not that anyone really cared). I wrote them in my native language (Dutch) and also posted them in the travel section of a Dutch generic internet forum (which actually generated many nice reactions). But over the years when I met people when travelling/ hiking, when I told about my travels/ hikes I was often asked why I didn't have facebook or a blog. The only publicly accessible thing I could point to was this Dutch forum. That's why I started a website to publish my reports translated into English.

Because I started from scratch and wanted it to be under my own control, I registered a website address and I'm paying for the hosting, so the content remains my own and I don't have to show annoying ads. I don't care that it costs me some money because all hobbies cost some money.

I'm using (free) Wordpress software and a (free) theme that I have modified slightly (created a child theme) to fit my needs. I'm quite happy with the result, though I still need to fix a few problems on mobile :)

It's not a "how to" site to provide other people with useful information, just an outlet for my excitement about my travels and hikes, because nobody in my real life is really interested in this, but some strangers sometimes are :)

|
|
|
|
V

https://www.hikingbirdman.com/
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 15:57:29, 24/08/20 »
You've been to some interesting places, Birdman  O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 18:11:03, 24/08/20 »
You have been to some interesting places. I did have the pleasure of walking a few miles on the Bibbulmun Track about 3 years ago when in Perth on business. A friend took a couple of us out into the countryside and we walked from Mundaring Weir. It was very hot. We were fortunate to see some kangaroos in the wild and some parrots and parakeets. Also, we didn’t see any snakes (apart from on the track markers), which I was pleased about.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 20:46:51, 24/08/20 »
You've been to some interesting places, Birdman  O0

Thanks! I feel very privileged to have been able to visit all these wonderful places

You have been to some interesting places. I did have the pleasure of walking a few miles on the Bibbulmun Track about 3 years ago when in Perth on business. A friend took a couple of us out into the countryside and we walked from Mundaring Weir. It was very hot. We were fortunate to see some kangaroos in the wild and some parrots and parakeets. Also, we didn’t see any snakes (apart from on the track markers), which I was pleased about.

The Bibbulmun is fantastic! I saw on average about 3 snakes per day on the southern part (the dunes). It's a beautiful trail, especially if you are interested in flora and fauna. Kangaroos, emus etc were common. And I spotted 117 species of birds. It is also famous for orchids, some of them can be seen nowhere else in the world.  
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 22:30:18, 24/08/20 »

I like the sound of WinHTTrack, Dave. Any issues with it? Or is it trouble free?

Well, I've downloaded it and done my first local backup of my wildaboutwalking site.
The interface is a bit basic, but the manual describes the steps clearly, and it all went well - the backed up site seems to work perfectly.

Thanks for putting me on to it, Dave  O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 22:38:19, 24/08/20 »

Well, I've downloaded it and done my first local backup of my wildaboutwalking site.
The interface is a bit basic, but the manual describes the steps clearly, and it all went well - the backed up site seems to work perfectly.

Thanks for putting me on to it, Dave  O0

You're very welcome!  O0
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy