Author Topic: For me, an interest re-visited  (Read 628 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
For me, an interest re-visited
« on: 11:46:28, 12/10/20 »
One of my relatives, on my father's side, was killed at the 3rd Battle of Passchendaele on November 3rd 1917 so I was surprised to see last night that three programmes, fronted by Peter Barton and filmed in 2016, were being shown on IPlayer. I watched all three in one go and was surprised to hear the suggestion from him that the main reason why so may UK soldiers and allies were killed/wounded and missing was because the Germans knew of the battle plans from BEFORE the offensive actually started. The UK side told them in advance, from Hague down to the ordinary private soldier, they all 'spilled the beans!'

Some great landscape filming as well, I really enjoyed it.

I decided to put it in the Walking section because Perter Barton did a lot of walking.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: For me, an interest re-visited
« Reply #1 on: 16:26:36, 12/10/20 »
I wonder if many people, on November 11th, will climb to the top of Great Gable this year? I'd like to but due to Covid-19 and the distance involved (just too far to travel on a train), I'm going to give it a miss.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #2 on: 09:06:50, 13/10/20 »
I wonder if many people, on November 11th, will climb to the top of Great Gable this year? I'd like to but due to Covid-19 and the distance involved (just too far to travel on a train), I'm going to give it a miss.

Although it hasn't been formally announced yet, I'm reliably informed that the Remembrance Sunday Service on Great Gable will not be taking place this year.   I expect that some people will still go up Great Gable, but the service on the summit won't be happening.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:33:04, 13/10/20 »
A wise decision given the circumstances.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy