Author Topic: Ruabon Mountain and Creigiau Eglwyseg  (Read 5974 times)

docpaul

• Veteran Member
Ruabon Mountain and Creigiau Eglwyseg
« on: 15:33:42, 15/03/09 »
This varied 11 mile walk was our destination yesterday, and all the more enjoyable because 48 hours before, we were promised rain "throughout daylight hours"! Just shows how fickle the weather models are. A dry day with lots of early sunshine also produced strong westerlies - we were glad they blew us onto the hill along the top of Eglwyseg escarpment, and not off it!

Started at Trevor Rocks, SJ234432, just NE of Llangollen, and first wound our way along the tarmac lanes NE past Prospect Place, Hafod Farm and Bryn Adda. Too much road walking in a way, but varied and enjoyable, and very little traffic, with wide views of the Dee valley and back to Castell Dinas Bran.

At Bryn Adda, we picked our way along the edge of the moorland northwards, to reach the east-west track to World's End in the Eglwyseg valley. This leaves a minor road at approx SJ264473, to pass north of an isolated and "PRIVATE-NO ACCESS" steading called Mountain Lodge. It's a good track and the wind met us pretty full-on at times crossing the long 3km of heather and bilberry moorland. We saw a bearded mountain biker, a piping Curlew, a seemingly sane March Hare, and nobody else on this remote feeling hillside! There are expansive views back over Cheshire and I think we picked out the Wrekin, the Long Mynd, and the Frodsham hills, even though the day was fairly hazy. In the last km or so before Worlds End, England is definitely left behind, and the views into Wales are very spectacular.

Passing west and south of the steep valley of World's End brought us properly into limestone country. To get the best from the Eglwyseg cliffs, you thread your way as high as possible along cropped turf on excellent dry paths, and it felt a bit like walking a coast path - plenty of up and down where the cliffs are broken by steep sided valleys, some of which are dry, and some have streams appearing and disappearing as limestone brooks have a habit of doing. The W horizon is filled with the shapely ridge of Llantysilio Mountain, which is now on our wish list for another day. Stunning views of the rock edges and the Eglwyseg valley, and eventually, looking down on Castell Dinas Bran and Llangollen, and across to the Berwyn on the horizon. On this section, we met two groups of walkers, but in all the day was a lonely one, with a great sense of space and isolation.

The 11 mile round took us 6 hours, with plenty of snack and photo stops - great variety and some fine viewpoints. The detailed route description is on the Walkingbritain website at

http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walks/walk_b/1067/

Paul
Leigh
Lancs

Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: Ruabon Mountain and Creigiau Eglwyseg
« Reply #1 on: 18:53:21, 17/03/09 »
That looked a great day and it's good to see a different perspective of the valley below. I've only walked at a lower level along the Offa's Dyke and around World's End, and wondered what it would be like on top - now I know - thanks. It's a lovely part of the country and very different to have such a mixed landscape in a small area.

Nice pictures as well Paul.

Arenig

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:07:16, 17/03/09 »
That looked a great day and it's good to see a different perspective of the valley below. I've only walked at a lower level along the Offa's Dyke and around World's End, and wondered what it would be like on top - now I know - thanks. It's a lovely part of the country and very different to have such a mixed landscape in a small area.

Nice pictures as well Paul.

If ever you fancy doing this route Pete, just give me a bell. It's only twenty mins from my house and I never get fed up with the area.
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"

W.A.S.H.I.S. completer www.walkeryri.org.uk

Welsh Nuttalls completer www.nuttalls.com/mountains/wales

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:21:34, 17/03/09 »
It was a first time for us too - have walked a fair bit in the Clwydian range further north, Moel Arthur, Pen y Cloddiau etc, but the Eglwyseg valley has a very "tucked away" feel which was great.
We probably could have spent more time on the escarpment, finding viewpoints etc. but were getting a bit tired by then. In a way, you are almost too close to the rock bands at times to get the real scale of the place, but it's certainly fascinating.

As for my idea of nipping up to have a look at Castell Dinas Bran when we got back to Trevor Rocks - forget it!! That's another day.

Paul
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

Arenig

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 14:52:06, 19/03/09 »
BTW docpaul. Some excellent photo's there. cheers for sharing them with us.
"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"

W.A.S.H.I.S. completer www.walkeryri.org.uk

Welsh Nuttalls completer www.nuttalls.com/mountains/wales

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:50:20, 02/04/09 »
There are several great walks at the back of Llangollen. Best starting point is the picnic site at the Horseshoe Falls. For the northern skyline walk one k. along lane to footpath over Llydiart Annie, up on to Moel Gamelin, Ponderosa, balcony trail to above Word's End, link up to concession path along top of Eglwyseg cliffs, top off on Dinas Bran, then drop back down on canalside path - about 16 miles.
If you want to try the Llantysilio Ridge, take same route to Moel Gamelin, then west along switchback trail to Bwlch lane, turn left for 300metres, left again on green trail, and eventually join up the Dee Valley Way and Rhewl.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:01:47, 24/05/09 »
We went on this walk today to see how my better half would get on walking more than 8 miles. We are walking the Dales Way in a weeks time so I thought we better check how she got on - thankfully it all worked out OK despite me taking a direct line through the heather and bilberrys. Her legs are fine, mine are cut to hell. This is a lovely walk though and I'd thouroughly recommend it for all - especially the tea rooms at Prospect Place. A grand day out with lovely weather. Here are a few pics.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy