Author Topic: Titanium mug with lid and pouring lip  (Read 2328 times)

cpcnw

Titanium mug with lid and pouring lip
« on: 13:43:49, 05/02/21 »
And tips on sources for [subject]

Tnx

Peak

Re: Titanium mug with lid and pouring lip
« Reply #1 on: 16:45:44, 05/02/21 »
I've looked on a few sites but cannot find one, good luck with your search.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:44:11, 05/02/21 »
There was one a few years back called a titanium kettle that was on my mental "desire" list. It was tall and rather narrow, with a spout, and the price was eye watering. I'm unable to find it now in a quick search, so I'm guessing it's n.l.a. So change your search term and you might be lucky.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:09:09, 05/02/21 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:13:27, 05/02/21 »

Peak

« Reply #5 on: 06:01:30, 06/02/21 »
It seems that you have to pay a lot of money for the ability to pour water, I'm out.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:00:29, 06/02/21 »
Me too!

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:46:37, 06/02/21 »
I was looking at the Snowpeak Titanium Double Walled Mug - which you can get a lid for (at a princely £8) - but £56 (inc lid) for a backpacking mug is a bit steep.  I've already dropped some money on a backpacking setup for ground coffee (which adds a benefit to my backpacking experience I personally think worth it), but a slightly different type of mug (I already have a mug) seems like it ain't worth it.

That said if I was looking for a proper pouring backpacking pot I'd pick up the Evernew Pasta Pot, which despite being £70 is the only one with a proper pourer, straining lid, and the right shape for taking some of the UL alcohol stove setups.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:14:36, 06/02/21 »
You have to really justify the necessity for less weight in your rucsac, as kit manufactured from Titanium is pretty expensive.

I bought my Lifeventure titanium mug, from Blacks, and paid £16 for it, and my Esbit cutlery set was only £12 on ebay.

The esbit kit, is a lovely accessory, which comes in its own pouch, and it even has a titanium carabiner to keep them together.

There is one positive aspect about spending a huge sum of money on Titanium equipment, and that its going to outlast you..

Its not like blowing several hundred on a new waterproof, that within time, will need replacing, a Titanium cookery set, or cooking accessory, will outlast you, so if you can tolerate the initial price, it will be a good investment.

My titanium mug is very lightweight, as you probably can imagine, but its a novelty item, that i like using for my favourite cuppa in front of the telly, watching Winterwatch.

I much prefer using my trusty plastic mug, the one ive been using for many years, and because it weighs probably double that of the Titanium is never a problem for me.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:37:36, 06/02/21 »
I can't remember what I paid for my 550ml titanium pot as the seller is no longer in business and it was an obscure brand originating from China, but I seem to remember the figure started with a 3. What I do know for certain is that with the lid it weighs 79g against the 156g of my old aluminium billycan.

As for a mug, I replaced my favourite plastic one, which was 60g, with a 500ml handled plastic beaker from China that weighs 37g and is marked with gradations that are ideal for measuring the right amount of water for powdered drink mixes or to boil for freeze dried dinners.

That's 100g less weight carried, or 3.7 oz in old money if my maths is correct. Every little bit helps, as the well-known supermarket slogan used to say.

watershed

« Reply #10 on: 11:53:44, 06/02/21 »
Hi CPCNW,
              coming from a small island I do most of my shopping on line.
More than half of my walking gear I have bought from Ultralight gear.
I have found them good to deal with and generally competitive in price. They do free postage on anything over £50.
I haven't bought any titanium Gear though.
they have this which might suit. It is 0.85L so could double for cooking in.

MSR Titanium Titan Kettle | UK | Ultralight Outdoor Gear

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:00:10, 06/02/21 »
Its not like blowing several hundred on a new waterproof, that within time, will need replacing, a Titanium cookery set, or cooking accessory, will outlast you, so if you can tolerate the initial price, it will be a good investment.

I have to disagree with you on that - a good waterproof can literally be a life saver in extreme conditions, and can often make the difference between a walk in foul weather being tolerable, and having to give up and beat a retreat. I have some titanium pots, and when all is said and done, they are a luxury item - aluminium would do the job just fine, and in some respects is better (less hot spots). And I use a disposable plastic spoon, handle cut down so that it fits inside the pan. Does the job.

wbmkk

« Reply #12 on: 18:49:09, 06/02/21 »

aluminium would do the job just fine, and in some respects is better (less hot spots).

Could you please provide links to small aluminium pots.. No doubt a £50 titanium pot is good, but I (and my wife too, I guess) couldn't justify the cost

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:42:31, 06/02/21 »
MSR Alpine Stowaway pot is really good for 2-person use.  Aluminium is better for cooking food than titanium anyway (doesn't have distinct hot spots which burns, as richard says)  - the folding handle which secures it all together makes it simple.  Believe they come in varying sizes, 775ml/1.1l and upwards. 

Peak

« Reply #14 on: 22:13:51, 06/02/21 »
Always thought the MSR stowaway pot was Stainless steel

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy