Author Topic: Which is better for a tent .. Sil-Nylon or Polyester  (Read 1662 times)

wbmkk

I am thinking about buying a Naturehike tent, the Star River 2, which comes in 2 versions

There's the 20D Sil-nylon version and the 210T Polyester version which is slightly heavier and a fraction cheaper.

Which is the better bet ?

I don't extend doing any really extreme camping in winter, but knowing a tent will survive a bit of wind is good to know, even in the middle of summer

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Which is better for a tent .. Sil-Nylon or Polyester
« Reply #1 on: 09:10:18, 14/02/21 »
I refer you to this excellent review of tent fabrics.
https://westonfront.wordpress.com/2021/01/30/tent-fabrics-an-objective-summary-of-the-21st-century-options/

Silnylon would be my choice, lighter and stronger, but it does stretch a bit when wet. Not a big problem in my experience.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

wbmkk

« Reply #2 on: 10:51:46, 14/02/21 »
I refer you to this excellent review of tent fabrics.
https://westonfront.wordpress.com/2021/01/30/tent-fabrics-an-objective-summary-of-the-21st-century-options/
Silnylon would be my choice, lighter and stronger, but it does stretch a bit when wet. Not a big problem in my experience.
Many thanks .. will take a look

I actually saw an article after I made my posting which showed nylon tents going saggy when wet ... can't find the article now or i would have linked it here

Found it ... http://thetentlab.com/MoonLightTents/PolyNyl.html

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:49:04, 14/02/21 »
I've seen that tentlab article - and, whilst nylon does stretch a bit when wet, I take their article with a pinch of salt, as they are trying to market their own tents, which just so happen to be made from polyester. Hardly unbiased, in other words.

As I said, silnylon stretch when wet hasn't been an issue for me.
« Last Edit: 12:52:46, 14/02/21 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:11:00, 14/02/21 »
I actually saw an article after I made my posting which showed nylon tents going saggy when wet

I would add that nylon tents definitely get saggy as they get older. It became impossible to pitch my last one taut in its final years, no matter how much I stretched the flysheet elastic loops out, and on a damp morning it looked like a wet dishcloth hanging on a line. I have a photo of it like that on a trip but I'm too embarrassed to post it on here. Likewise my current Zephyros has lost the nice stretched-tight look it had when it was new.

weston.front

« Reply #5 on: 19:53:48, 16/02/21 »
I would add that nylon tents definitely get saggy as they get older.
It happens to us all...
Following the road less travelled : westonfront.wordpress.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy