Author Topic: I've ordered a monocular.  (Read 4754 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I've ordered a monocular.
« on: 16:59:20, 14/02/21 »
A couple of years ago I wrote to the Walking Forum asking for advice about binoculars and monoculars and I learned a lot from the replies.

I didn't actually do anything about it but as I've re-thought that my hoped-for 2021 hiking experience might return I decided to buy one.

I worked out what I want it for and so decided that a cheap monocular (£20 from Amazon and recommended by more than one review site) was the one for me. For £20 worth taking a chance.

I'm assuming that when I hike again I will use it very infrequently, mainly to check if cows are in the field I plan to camp, or to check around to see if anyone's about when I choose my spot for the night.

wbmkk

Re: I've ordered a monocular.
« Reply #1 on: 17:54:51, 14/02/21 »
Funny, many years ago my aunt had a monocular, which my parents found a bit strange.

She explained it was .. far lighter than a pair of binoculars, you could get a much better quality monocular for the same money as an average pair of binoculars and if it got bashed, there was no possibility of two images when the prisms are out of alignment.

Makes perfect sense ... my dad bought one too

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:37:33, 14/02/21 »
I'll be interested to hear your views GWM when you've had a chance to use it - please let us know.  I have carried small binoculars in the past but I lent them to one of my offspring and they've not reappeared, so may be in the market.

veracocha

« Reply #3 on: 19:01:00, 14/02/21 »
I would rather leave my tent at home than my binoculars when camping. You can sit for hours on a hill just watching walkers topping the surrounding mountains or the deer on Place Fell. Even though I use a lightweight pair with high end glass I do use a harness instead of a neck-strap. For me this adds to the excitement of the day.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:07:40, 14/02/21 »
I've coped with the 12 months of lockdowns of Covid-19 etc quite well I think but I'm now getting desperate to get out and about. I know I can wait until the clocks change but after that, I'm just not sure?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:40:38, 14/02/21 »
...I'm assuming that when I hike again I will use it very infrequently, mainly to check if cows are in the field I plan to camp, or to check around to see if anyone's about when I choose my spot for the night.

Many years ago when we did long 20m+ day walks in the White Peak in winter, we often did the last mile or so in the dark: using our big clunky head torches, the binoculars were invaluable for locating the next stile or signpost on the opposite side of the field.
A monocular sounds interesting especially for only £20.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:06:47, 14/02/21 »
I had a small pair of binoculars for years .

And decided to get a monocular a cheap Eurohike
Weighs 65grams , 8x21  , 1000m distance .
So lightweight and easy to handle good for checking out waymarker signs  ,stiles and ways out of fields also to check if cows are ahead .

Ashtons99

« Reply #7 on: 22:44:13, 15/02/21 »
Over the years I’ve concluded that with optics the more you spend the more you get. It was when I finally splashed out on some Leica Ultravids I realised how many hours I’d wasted viewing things that could have looked so much better if I’d spent sooner!

Little Foot

« Reply #8 on: 00:37:51, 16/02/21 »
Was looking at getting a monocular myself. I saw one in TKMaxx, and nearly bought it but wasn't sure of the reviews. Would like to know what you think GWM, once you get the opportunity to test it out.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:57:44, 16/02/21 »
Problem today. Email from Amazon stating that they have a problem in the shipping process and have now cancelled my order and are refunding my money. First time Amazon has done this to me.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:11:04, 16/02/21 »
I looked up the same monocular on other sites, I've found one at £22 (including postage) and have also found one at £42! I wonder if the seller has got away with the £42 price tag?

Little Foot

« Reply #11 on: 14:24:09, 16/02/21 »
That's frustrating for you. Have you tried Aliexpress? Just looking at them now on that site. I reckon I'll have enough time for it to be delivered before lock down ends lol.

What zoom are you looking at?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:00:18, 16/02/21 »
Zoom? I've no idea, as long as I can see a cow a mile off I'll be happy.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:36:10, 17/02/21 »
Forgetting the substantial price difference for a moment, there are only two monoculars worth considering.

The sublime Leica Monovid 8x20 or any of the Zeiss models.

When your investing in a tiny optical instrument, optical performance is of utmost importance, and having purchased a monocular five years ago, it goes without saying, you get what you pay for.

Regarding price, you have to spend a lot of money, to justify buying a monocular, as optical quality differs considerably from a decent one, to one that provides a superb image.

You are far better off getting a pair of decent quality compact binoculars, than spending a small amount of money on a budget monocular.

The image quality from a budget monocular will be poor, so poor in fact,  that you will probably not want to use it.

I am saying that, from personal experience, having looked through over nine different models.

Due to their small size, and small magnification, unless the glass used in their construction is of the finest quality, the image will be poor, or at least blurred at the top end of the magnification.

After nearly a year, in comparing the various models, at all price points, i eventually picked up the courage, and blew £345 on a Leica Monovid, from Cleyspy, in East Anglia.

I know, £345 was a high price to pay, far too much for your average person,  but the image quality is razor sharp, and like all Leica instruments, build quality is magnificent.

Due to its tiny size, of only six inches long, it travels with me on most of my walks, simply because its a joy to use and own.

Unless your prepared to spend a lot of money, for optical performance and precision, its far better to buy a 8x20 compact binocular, than buying a cheap monocular.

Unlike the small compact binocular market, where you can spend an affordable amount of money, and achieve great performance, its entirely the opposite when you look at monoculars.

To achieve an acceptable image quality, you unfortunately have to spend a lot, to achieve it.

« Last Edit: 11:53:13, 17/02/21 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Daveyboy

« Reply #14 on: 12:07:43, 17/02/21 »
I've never read such utter bull in all my life, the sad part is you actually believe the utter diatribe that you write.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy