Author Topic: If YOU was the landowner...  (Read 4850 times)

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: If YOU was the landowner...
« Reply #60 on: 17:50:53, 16/11/20 »
Go on give it a go!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: 18:23:22, 16/11/20 »
Go on. But in a separate thread.  O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #62 on: 19:34:46, 16/11/20 »
Thank you to everyone who has answered the questions  O0

BWW, I’m surprised you didn’t answer the questions, given your knowledge and background  ??? 

Anyway, is anyone interested in a “Scenario 2” or shall I just leave it there?

Yes please lets have some more Mel its been a good one  O0
Whilst BWW's response was in a different style to some others, who seemed rather familiar with CLA propaganda, I did think his by far the most enlightened post, but then I would have expected nothing less from someone who consistently demonstrates an excellent grasp of access issues  O0

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #63 on: 19:45:35, 16/11/20 »
Yes please lets have some more Mel its been a good one  O0
Whilst BWW's response was in a different style to some others, who seemed rather familiar with CLA propaganda, I did think his by far the most enlightened post, but then I would have expected nothing less from someone who consistently demonstrates an excellent grasp of access issues  O0

I assume that was aimed at me. Just because I can see things from a different perspective, doesn't mean I have any allegiance to the CLA (or their propaganda) But we will not get anywhere, with landowners, if people on here continually portray them as almost evil.

Or are you saying that the only view allowed on here is BWW'ers?
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #64 on: 19:58:13, 16/11/20 »

I assume that was aimed at me. Just because I can see things from a different perspective, doesn't mean I have any allegiance to the CLA (or their propaganda) But we will not get anywhere, with landowners, if people on here continually portray them as almost evil.

Or are you saying that the only view allowed on here is BWW'ers?
Just an observation nothing personal intended. Some of the landowners I have come into contact with are not very nice, others of course are great.
With regards to BWW's posts I just think they're top draw IMHO. Others of course don't like them, that's life  ;)

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #65 on: 20:11:51, 16/11/20 »
Just an observation nothing personal intended. Some of the landowners I have come into contact with are not very nice, others of course are great.
With regards to BWW's posts I just think they're top draw IMHO. Others of course don't like them, that's life  ;)

I am not going to disagree about what Landowners can be like. Unfortunately there are also walkers who seem to think they are entitled to walk and do what they like, whilst on those walks. (I am talking about England)  So there a certainly faults on both sides.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Andies

• Veteran Member
« Reply #66 on: 21:04:42, 16/11/20 »

I am not going to disagree about what Landowners can be like. Unfortunately there are also walkers who seem to think they are entitled to walk and do what they like, whilst on those walks. (I am talking about England)  So there a certainly faults on both sides.
Agreed. I've seen evidence of it over the years but never to the extent of the antics of certain landowners in these parts. Today's walk was ŕ masterclass thereon staring sprayed off paths churned to swamps, damaged waymarkers, and more private land signs than you could count. Must have got word I was coming that way  :D

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #67 on: 09:58:46, 17/11/20 »
(I am talking about England)  So there a certainly faults on both sides.

The primary fault is on the landowners side; the political cause that resulted in the 1949 Act that gave us Rights of Way for or leisure walking was the landowners historical and persistent hostility to ACCESS.

The landowners fail to recognize this, even to extent that they point to RoW as being the cause of the problems of allowing access.

I don't think I have called landowner evil, but I believe that their policy on access is driven by self interest and their method of garnering support is based on appealing to basic selfishness in their supporters, which so dominates their strategies that they cannot see the benefits access can bring to the communities their members hold sway over.

My post was a question to the OP, Mel for clarification, why she chose a landowner of 5 generations. The Other missed information that would have been useful in assessing the likely reaction or frame of mind of this occupier would have been the size of the holding. In my experience hostility is often tied in with the financial pressure the business is under, much of the CLA's propaganda since losing the veto of the House of Lords has been at gaining support of vulnerable people with a resentment towards those, who have the time for leisure activities and can visit the countryside for them.

Mel, 3 generations would put the landowner in the bracket of new Owner Occupier of the postwar farming boom at a time that land prices were low and many new types of agricultural enterprise were making profits that had the traditional landowners at a disadvantage, when they were beset by financial difficulties of trying to maintain a prewar lifestyle or settle Estate duties.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: 10:35:57, 17/11/20 »
Hi BWW

The situation is fictional/hypothetical and, for the purposes of this particular topic, all I am asking is that people read the setting and scenario and answer the questions based on the information available is if they are the landowner.

Something to get the grey matter to ponder on - a bit like exam questions where all you can work with is the information provided on the exam paper. 

How often in life do we say “if it was me, I’d….”  Well this is an opportunity to say exactly that.

I didn’t / don’t want it to turn into a “discussion” topic as there are plenty of other topics to discuss land ownership, rights and history on this forum.

Oh, and please don’t feel like you have to justify your posts to shortwalker. 

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #69 on: 10:51:25, 17/11/20 »
barewirewalker, Go on do your best, instead of questioning the question, just give an answer. Or not.Actually I would find your concise reply more valuable, one way or another, than some (mainly including my own)

Out of interest to the dog owning, unleaded type (hopefully not diesel in this day and age) my son had a couple of poachers (he thinks) on his land two nights ago.  They won't be back ever again, his two shire horses just love playing with dogs and his cameras show they not only gave the dog a right going over, the big one looking for food treats, as they do, went trotting across to one of the blokes whereupon it was clear on the night vision that he wet himself and got zapped on the electric fence and ripped his jacket on the barbed wire in his panic to get away. I was quite surprised as they are the most gentle creatures normally, they just as a pair seemed to take a dislike to that lurcher dog. My sons rescue dogs (lurcher and bull mastiff) play with them all the time, so they are used to dogs. He is thinking of posting the whole thing on YT. He's thinking of putting the horses in with his sheep at lambing time as he has had a couple of dog incidents over the years.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #70 on: 11:26:28, 17/11/20 »
They are leisure walkers using the field margin to gain access from the wood to the lane to further a route that I see as a possibility. My choice is to follow the CLA guidelines and deny access or the follow my own instincts to be a reasonable citizen.
 I would approach them and ask them to come to me to save me walking all the way to them. This would give me an additional insight to their reaction and body language in respect to myself, I will have decided that they are not wrongdoers (following Mel's guidlines). But I will ask them to stop the dog running loose, by command, if they cannot do this I will tell them that they are not in sufficient control of their do to allow it to run loose. I will ask them how far they have walked, if they are enjoying their walk and if I find them favourable I might even suggest somewhere on my land that they might find of interest like visit, if it fits into their route.

I should have realized that his particular field margin has some merits as part of good access and perhaps I should have already signposted it as a Permissive
Way. (Of course I would be going contrary to the gospel according to Sarah Slade  ^-^ )
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #71 on: 12:37:14, 17/11/20 »
Thanks BWW.

Good answer, show them who's the boss by ordering them to heel, dishing out commands, then being nice and pleasant to them. I never thought if the first bits.

You didn't mention shooting the dog if they refused to follow your command?

Can't wait to see the next scenario.  :)

Booga

« Reply #72 on: 14:22:36, 17/11/20 »

... my son had a couple of poachers (he thinks) on his land two nights ago.

...it was clear on the night vision that he wet himself and got zapped on the electric fence and ripped his jacket on the barbed wire in his panic to get away.

... He is thinking of posting the whole thing on YT.
I'd love to see this! Put it up on facebook too and It'll most likely be spread around seen by people who know them!  ;D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: 14:49:29, 17/11/20 »
I'd love to see this! Put it up on facebook too and It'll most likely be spread around seen by people who know them!  ;D
He's not sure if it is permitted to upload, and he isn't too sure the people would have the type of mates who would cause him bother. But if he does I ll let folks know. I was quite surprised to find that he has cameras out watching his stock 24/7. I was saying that he should have let the bull mastiff out to them. But he reckons it would have just rolled over for a belly rub. It loves leading the big horse around the field and getting nuzzled. It is a huge softy. Rescued as a pup by the police from a known dog fight breeder in South Yorkshire and brought up North to my son by the RSPCA.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy