Author Topic: Just saying hello  (Read 2171 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Just saying hello
« Reply #15 on: 13:24:30, 30/12/20 »
And welcome from Liverpool

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:32:59, 30/12/20 »
Greetings from North Cheshire .

There are great walks starting from Whitchurch .

Shropshire Union canal towpath .
And going  Into Cheshire .

South Cheshire Way .

And one of the Best and well known walks .

The Sandstone Trail .

Latestarter

« Reply #17 on: 13:52:01, 30/12/20 »
I’ll look those up, thank you  :)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:45:39, 30/12/20 »
Welcome from Suffolk. You are certainly not too late. We did a bit of walking before kids, none really while they were at home and then took it up again once they’d left!   ;D  We did our first long distance walk back in 2009 in our early 50’s (Dales way) and have since done 6 more including the Pennine way, and the national 3 peaks (not in 24 hours I hasten to add). It becomes addictive! Just get the right gear, map and compass, and train for what you want to do, building up the mileage and hills ( that will be easier for you in Shropshire than us in Suffolk!). We are hoping to do the Cleveland way next year. Hadrian’s Wall will be a good one for you to start with and it is well marked. Don’t under estimate all the ups and downs in the middle section though   O0

Latestarter

« Reply #19 on: 19:07:14, 30/12/20 »
That sounds really encouraging, thank you. It’s amazing what opportunities open up once the kids leave home !  ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:20:59, 31/12/20 »
Welcome from Devon :)

Another one here who progressed from dog walking to backpacking when my daughter went off to Uni and I no longer needed to be home for supper.
Enjoy your freedom - before you're called up for grandparent duties ;D
« Last Edit: 08:56:03, 31/12/20 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 08:31:53, 31/12/20 »
Thanks Richard.
I’m not quite that late at starting but it’s good to know that I still have plenty of time to get going.
I really fancy walking Hadrian’s Wall. I’m told it’s mostly accessible with a reasonable level of fitness and since it’s well signposted, I’m less likely to get lost  ::)
I don’t run but I do walk an average of around six miles a day (on level ground). Park run is on my ‘to-do list’ once things return to normal.
What is the best time of year to tackle HW?

If you are walking 6 miles a day then you should be pretty fit - just start fitting in a few longer walks. Can't answer your question about HW, but in general I think that late spring is one of the best times for walking.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:33:06, 31/12/20 »
Enjoy your freedom - before your called up for grandparent duties ;D

:o :D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:15:57, 31/12/20 »
Greetings from Northumberland  :)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:50:19, 31/12/20 »
Well latecomer you seem to be getting plenty of advice and encouragement. Sadly we have just gone into Tier 3 and I am having to rack my brains, where to take Mrs BWW for our next walk, probably have to be Lee Brockhurst, which suits my diminishing stamina. Sifting through these thoughts the Cliffe, Hopton Hill, Nescliffe area has well signed rights of way with many other trails and a sufficiently well defined an area to explore at will without become disorientated, ideal to familiarize with a map. The car park off the Great Ness - Hopton Lane is quite spacious, here. Hopefully the link will open up in the 1:25 scale OS map.
This enclosed area is particularly well connected to its surrounding countryside, so as familiarity develops it is a good area to plan and follow routes out of it. It will have another advantage as it is geographically well suited to be part of the framework of a number of linear routes, ideal training ground for time / distance a necessary skill in linear walking.

Also it is on sandstone, lighter feet in winter,  ;) fortunately Wenlock is a bit out my Tier 3 area, terrible heavy clay under the Edge.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Latestarter

« Reply #25 on: 11:26:57, 31/12/20 »
That’s great, thank you. Enjoy your walk!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:33:06, 01/01/21 »
Welcome from south Manchester  :)
It's never too late to get into walking. Hadrian's Wall is a good easy trail (I did it last year here), the main thing was the need for good underfoot cushioning in footwear due to quite a lot of hard surface walking on the route.

Latestarter

« Reply #27 on: 16:45:21, 01/01/21 »
I spend a fair bit of time in Manchester. Thank you for the welcome  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy