Author Topic: TR - Howgills North West - Fell Head, Simon’s Seat, Uldale Head  (Read 6077 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Lovely stuff Richard - bet Tess is glad to be back on the hills!

Thanks pdstsp - she certainly is! She went up Blencathra yesterday too.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Mel

• Veteran Member
Smashing set of pics Richard.  I'm liking the one looking north-east/Simon's Seat is the prominent hill.  Seems almost other-worldly somehow  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Thanks Mel - yes, that photo really epitomizes the Northern Howgills, a tangle of rounded grassy ridges divided by a network of secretive steep sided valleys. Wonderful country.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Enjoyed reading this report and looking forward to our holiday there next week. I think it will be short walks on hills for us at least to start with! Studying the OS map we have just picked up from the library.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Glad that you enjoyed it, rural roamer. Enjoy your holiday. :)

PS - the walk up Bowderdale and back would be easy enough, and is a good walk in its own right - it is a beautiful valley.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Yes we’ve looked at that. Going up the Dales Highway where the path splits, continuing up to the Calf and returning on the bridleway. Is that the best way round to do it? I’ve measured it roughly as just under 11 miles. Is there somewhere along the road to park in Bowderdale?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
We parked HERE - there are other spots available nearer the hamlet of Bowderdale.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Not been up the path marked Dales Highway, so I cannot recommend which way around to do it - we went along the ridge to the east, but there are a couple of steep climbs to deal with, especially Yarlside. :o
« Last Edit: 19:31:58, 21/04/21 by richardh1905 »

Andies

• Veteran Member
Yes we’ve looked at that. Going up the Dales Highway where the path splits, continuing up to the Calf and returning on the bridleway. Is that the best way round to do it? I’ve measured it roughly as just under 11 miles. Is there somewhere along the road to park in Bowderdale?
RR we did a similar walk a few years ago over West Fell and Hazelgill Knott from Bowderdale. There is some parking to the front of a house (we parked here on more than one occasion, as did others) and there is also a grassed area alongside the road beside this house that cars were parked on at NY678046. 
Locals about and no issues encountered. What I did notice at that time was a sign discouraging parking near the cattle grid (NY 676046) a few yards further on which was my original intended parking place, so opted as above. I have just taken a look on google maps to refresh my mind and I notice a couple of no entry signs, albeit they look "home made" on the road near the cattle grid, which seems a little strange as this is apparently a public road!
Hope you enjoy your holiday; we may pass you on the road as we are staying nearby for a week from 1st May!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Thanks Andies and Richard  :)

Andies, let’s hope for great weather for the next two weeks. Am I right in thinking you are also from Suffolk? We’ll pass you on the A1 then!

Andies

• Veteran Member
Andies, let’s hope for great weather for the next two weeks. Am I right in thinking you are also from Suffolk? We’ll pass you on the A1 then!
Yes rural roamer about ten miles from Bury St Edmunds, so as you say we will more than likely pass on the A1. The weather looks good for next week but I fear that May might bring a change of forecast. We are keeping everything crossed!
Staying just outside of Kirby Stephen so will be hopefully in the Howgills on 2nd May, albeit having not left Suffolk since September 2019 the shock of a hill might see us in big trouble very quickly :o

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
the shock of a hill might see us in big trouble very quickly :o
Yes that’s my fear too! We will need to start small and hopefully build up!  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy