Author Topic: Organising Gear  (Read 1177 times)

Little Foot

Organising Gear
« on: 15:28:40, 31/10/20 »
Hello all.

I’m curious as to how people organise and store their walking/back packing gear. I’m going to overhaul where I keep mine so I am wondering how best to set it all out. I think I’m going to get rid of the drawers in the bottom of a large cupboard as they are falling apart and don’t fill the space well, and put most of my gear in simple plastic boxes of different sizes.

Do you keep your gear by item type e.g. cooking, or by time spent away e.g day trip or overnight, or do you just shove it all in a box? lol
Are there any items you keep outside in a shed/garage?
Do you keep any items permanently in certain ruck sacks?
Do I sound rather sad asking this?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Organising Gear
« Reply #1 on: 15:42:00, 31/10/20 »
I store by type of thing, so rucksacks are together, sleeping bags together etc.
Nothing is kept outside.
I have an old canvas rucksack which was my Dads that I keep 1st aid kits, dry bags and other bits and pieces in. But it never goes out walking any more it is really just a container.
Can I pass on the last question  ;)

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:42:39, 31/10/20 »
Nothing goes in the shed / garage, I suppose the risks would be mice or damp? We have a cupboard in the spare room where it resides, it being the entire family stock although the 2 kids have left home. Sleeping bags kept loose in old pillowcases (except the Buffalo bag), tents on the bottom, haversacks on top. All the maps, cooking kit etc in plastic toy boxes. Just about enough old stuff for a spontaneous day walk lives permanently in the vehicle, including a brew kit in an old ammunition box.

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #3 on: 16:23:48, 31/10/20 »
Apart from my footwear, all of mine is stored under the bed in the spare room inside a variety of backpacs
All except the new tent that 'santa' has yet to wrap up and formally deliver, as long as i continue to be a good boy of course, and Boris allows him to visit.  O0
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:04:27, 31/10/20 »
I keep my daypack packed nest to my boots ready to go.  The rest of the stuff is in a chest of drawers in the spare room, and the rest of the household know that if they interfere they are in for a long and painful death.

And no - you're not sad - as I keep explaining to Mrs pdstsp when she calls me sad. ;D

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:42:35, 31/10/20 »
Clothing in my built-in wardrobe (there's not much else in it, lol), and walking poles and boots when they're clean and dry.
Rucksacks and tent in the top cupboard above the wardrobe.
Sleeping bags in pillow cases in the under-bed drawers.
All the small bits and pieces are in a small one of those clear plastic storage boxes that you can buy everywhere, that too fits in the top cupboard.

Edited after reading the OP again:
Old part-used gas canisters are in a drawer in the shed.
Nothing stays permanently in my rucksacks, unless you include the rain cover that comes with one.
Yes you are sad, and so is everyone else who has posted, including me  :( .
« Last Edit: 17:51:44, 31/10/20 by fernman »

zuludog

« Reply #6 on: 18:00:04, 31/10/20 »
I used to keep all my hiking gear and most of the clothing in an old bedding chest in the spare room

My wife called this my dressing up box

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:21:54, 31/10/20 »
I keep my walking gear in the wardrobes in my bedroom. I don't go camping so I don't have stuff for that. 

A lot of my OS maps never get put away but lie around in my living-room, easily to hand for searching out walks and looking at landscape features  -  could be sad    :-\

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:10:45, 31/10/20 »
We have a cupboard in out utility room that is dedicated to out door gear.  it has a number of wooded shelves and also a plastic draw set under the bottom shelf.   Most of our specific walking and climbing gear goes in there.  I hang my water proofs in there to dry them when needed. Walking socks are in my sock draw. Walking trousers and base layers are in a plastic box that slides under the bed.  Shoes and boots live outside the front door on the porch whilst drying.  Then come in to the utility room.  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:21:50, 31/10/20 »
I keep as much as I can in our garage. I have a large lidded old fashioned trunk and my tents, mattresses, sleeping quilts etc are in there just resting lightly on top of each other. I keep my two rucksacks lying on top of the lid.

All of my smaller stuff is kept in the drawers of an old MFI wardrobe, (I took the doors off) and my jackets coats etc are on coat hangers to the side. So far so good.

But unfortunately, because I run off-road most days a lot of my stuff also stays permanently in my car, I just can't be bothered to move it back and forth from my garage to the car and back again. So my car doubles as a 'running shed.' I use my rear seat headrests as places to hang my waterproof running hat and my beanie so that they are always instantly to hand. My driving front area is for my face masks and gloves. My boot is just used for my dirty, muddy and wet running shoes.

I always wish I was more organised and tidy but at my age, I'm not going to change now.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:28:01, 31/10/20 »
I forgot, I also have an Ikea chest of drawers indoors where I store my walking underwear, walking socks, walking trousers and my baselayers. My walking shirts and my down jacket are hung in our wardrobe.

It never crossed my mind before but yes, I too am a sad individual.  :-[

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:23:07, 31/10/20 »
Regular daysack with a few odds and ends in it with jacket boots and poles in cloakroom area by front door. Most clothes in big drawer under the bed, bag of socks and bag of hats and gloves in corner of wardrobe. Tents and sleeping bags, rucksacks etc in curtained off bit of spare room, apart from a few rarely used ones which are in the cupboard under the stairs.
I thought I was very organized till I started writing this. Well I know where everything is!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:38:52, 31/10/20 »
I'm not sure I'm organised but I keep all my walking gear in a big wardrobe with some of those plastic drawers at the bottom.

My camping gear is all in my newly shelved out cupboard over the stairs.

My rucksack is always ready to go but, even so, I still have to unpack then re-pack it before any walk  ::)

... and still forget something  ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:39:42, 01/11/20 »
Coats go in the wardrobe in the study bought for the purpose, or on the newel post, or over the back of a chair, any chair, or in the garage or in the boot, or on the backseat of the car, or ask Mrs N if she’s seen it.
Rucksack on the floor in the kitchen or study or spare room, but rarely the boot.  Boots in the boot rack or where I took them off or mysteriously moved.  Poles by the front door, back door or in the boot from last time.  Tilley on the newel post, kitchen table, any chair or in the boot.
Maps, in the library. Never used.

It is important to have a system I feel.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:09:41, 01/11/20 »
I’m with Ninthace. Excessive tidiness is a sign too much time on one’s hands. ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy