Author Topic: My best pic of the day  (Read 813574 times)

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
Re: My best pic of the day
« Reply #4365 on: 15:27:41, 25/02/21 »
Quite nice out today. The river caught my eye.

GnP

• Veteran Member
Not a best pic..more like an odd pic..
« Reply #4366 on: 20:58:48, 26/02/21 »

I came across this misaligned gate and bridge today . You have to sidle past the gate post to get to the bridge .
And I wondered , what came first..the bridge or the gate ..  :o

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ayjay

Re: Not a best pic..more like an odd pic..
« Reply #4367 on: 23:38:50, 26/02/21 »
I came across this misaligned gate and bridge today . You have to sidle past the gate post to get to the bridge .
And I wondered , what came first..the bridge or the gate ..  :o

The bit of fence in the foreground to the right of the gate suggests to me that the gate was there first: although if  no-one involved in placing both the bridge and the gate had any common sense at all then both options are still open.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4368 on: 09:24:35, 27/02/21 »
The bit of fence in the foreground to the right of the gate suggests to me that the gate was there first: although if  no-one involved in placing both the bridge and the gate had any common sense at all then both options are still open.

Yes indeed , or I just had a thought , maybe the bridge was there and a wooden stile had broken , with that fence  being part of the original stile .

Maybe the policy being all stiles are replaced with steel gates eventually . But because the small tree is in the way and budget restrictions or conservation regs` etc...it ended up like a dogs dinner ... :-\

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4369 on: 12:17:50, 27/02/21 »
Yes indeed , or I just had a thought , maybe the bridge was there and a wooden stile had broken , with that fence  being part of the original stile .

Maybe the policy being all stiles are replaced with steel gates eventually . But because the small tree is in the way and budget restrictions or conservation regs` etc...it ended up like a dogs dinner ... :-\

It tells a bit more about policy, the design of the wide kissing gate is so wheelchair users can get through and councils who have signed up to a policy to bring their footpaths up to this level of access. Perhaps policy and implementation is a little scew wiff as well. ;)
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4370 on: 13:55:21, 27/02/21 »
It tells a bit more about policy, the design of the wide kissing gate is so wheelchair users can get through and councils who have signed up to a policy to bring their footpaths up to this level of access. Perhaps policy and implementation is a little scew wiff as well. ;)

Scew whiff.... I haven`t heard that phrase in ages , one of my Dads favourites ..he was a gun smith..love it .. ;D

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4371 on: 14:10:19, 27/02/21 »
Looks like a a cockup somewhere between someone looking at the site, right the way through various departments and a supplier until contractors, who just shrugged their shoulders and got on with the job they'd been paid for, installed the lefthanded one they'd been given when it should have been a righthand one  :)

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4372 on: 15:09:37, 27/02/21 »
Looks like a a cockup somewhere between someone looking at the site, right the way through various departments and a supplier until contractors, who just shrugged their shoulders and got on with the job they'd been paid for, installed the lefthanded one they'd been given when it should have been a righthand one  :)

Oh yes that makes sense . It would mean removing the small tree but I bet that is it . A right hand one would do the trick . !
Simples. O0

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4373 on: 16:49:54, 27/02/21 »
installed the lefthanded one they'd been given when it should have been a righthand one  :)

err? lefthanded, right handed?  Surely with a circular gate there is no left or right. Aall the contractor had to do was turn it through 180degrees so the upright on which the gate is hinged lies against the broken fence on the right. You would then enter and leave the gate on the right adjacent to the bridge.

Or am I seriously missing something here, like a wink emoji on Fernman's post?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4374 on: 16:54:06, 27/02/21 »

err? lefthanded, right handed?  Surely with a circular gate there is no left or right. Aall the contractor had to do was turn it through 180degrees so the upright on which the gate is hinged lies against the broken fence on the right. You would then enter and leave the gate on the right adjacent to the bridge.

Or am I seriously missing something here, like a wink emoji on Fernman's post?

That would leave the frame work overhanging the bank ..Precarious to say the least . ^-^

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4375 on: 06:30:40, 28/02/21 »
That sort of picture tells a story.  ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4376 on: 08:40:28, 28/02/21 »
That would leave the frame work overhanging the bank ..Precarious to say the least . ^-^
Aah - not easy to appreciate from a photo but, the lefthand v righthand bit? Please tell me. Do I understand that correctly? 

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4377 on: 08:46:32, 28/02/21 »
Aah - not easy to appreciate from a photo but, the lefthand v righthand bit? Please tell me. Do I understand that correctly?

I m having to think about that one . I just got up and my mind is foggy . ;)

I think the gates have to open inward away from the curve of the framework so that would mean they have to be manufactured as right or left hand . not just flipped a 180 degrees.  :o
« Last Edit: 09:00:53, 28/02/21 by GinAndPlatonic »

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4378 on: 09:20:11, 28/02/21 »
I m having to think about that one . I just got up and my mind is foggy . ;)
I think the gates have to open inward away from the curve of the framework so that would mean they have to be manufactured as right or left hand . not just flipped a 180 degrees.  :o

The whole caboodle - curved fence and gate - can surely be facing any direction. As a circular structure it can be swivelled around it's central point to present the opening wherever it's required. One end of the boundary it replaces will always be at the hinge upright. Irrespective of the actual angle of approach passing through will always execute a 360 degree turn around that boundary.

In fact I think I am overthinking this. Gates are not made left or right handed just erected left or right opening. Adding a curved fence makes no difference though opportunities for kissing is a plus ;)

I need some breakfast :D 
« Last Edit: 09:53:16, 28/02/21 by Jac »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4379 on: 09:38:21, 28/02/21 »
I think I understand Jac  and G&P though I struggled to work it out when I first looked at it.

If you spin the whole thing so that the gate hinge is next to the fence with the tree in it then it would line up with the bridge OK. But it isn't round it is teardrop shaped so putting it there could mean that the wide bit would overhang the river unless you moved it in to the field a bit and extended the fence on the left side towards us.

I hope that makes it clearer as I've just re-read it and even I barely understand what I mean!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy