Author Topic: <Trip report> Eskdale, Great Moss, Scafell and Slight side after a night out.  (Read 9999 times)

Granty

• Veteran Member
Another good report - looks like a different way than most to go up Scafell (and the pike if you wish)
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member

Were you in the SAS Pearsy?  ;)

Steve

Nothing wrong with the Salvation Army Singers!    ;)

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
crackin report n photos. O0
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

Cogstar

• Veteran Member
'Case for the defence M'Lord'.  ::) . It wasn't me that chose a twelve miler the previous day and I certainly didn't have pint or two of Sharp Edge. It wasn't me that was early in the pub on Tuesday night and I can barely recall force feeding anyone. (actually I can barely recall anything!). I have made the following notes though.

We were rubbish at the pub quiz
There is a limit to what beer goggles can achieve
and most importantly - never drive over Hardknott Pass with even a semblance of a hangover remaining.

The only saving grace was looking at Pearsy sat on a rock at the start of the walk. It was a sorry site but I knew there and then that we weren't legging it round, can't wait to see the picture Micky took.

And so some pictures and a slightly different route.

The first and easiest crossing of the day, always have the camera handy just in case someone has a slip  ;)

It really is one of the most stunning places I've ever walked

Pearsy makes one last desperate attempt to find a pulse

So beautiful the paparazzi scramble for the best shot

I quite like this one looking up Lingcove Beck

We followed this to Lingcove Bridge where some sort of Shenanigans was taking place, I think Peter was saying 'honestly jump it'll be a great picture'

From here into the Great Moss as I rounded the corner into the amphitheatre I had one of those 'how come no-one told me about this before' moments. It would be a great walk out even if you decided not to tackle any of the surrounding hills.

The really Great Moss

Excellent shortcut boys  :D

After a spot of lunch we headed towards Cam Spout in search of a safe-ish river crossing

This is the point where things started to get a bit disjointed, Micky and Pearsy opted for a long weir crossing which ultimately proved to be a much short route.

Meanwhile Peter and me headed up stream in search of a leaping point. We found one eventually but were about 10 minutes behind as we started the steep climb up How Beck to Mickledoor. Now in retrospect Peter may have mentioned something like 'if we are climbing that bleedin mountain it's got to be up Foxes Tarn route.

Somehow me and Micky ended up about 20 yards short of Mickledoor just as the rain started ( I may have forgotten to check the map at any point as I concentrated on the top of the hill - again!) still I've got a lovely photo back down the valley  O0

Having spotted the other two making their way up towards Scafell we had a choice, own up to our (probably my) error and head back down to climb back up or go for the other option. We looked long and hard at Broad Stand and decided that wasn't really an option. Which left one choice.....Lord's Rake.  ::) . A quick chat which went along the lines of 'you feeling lucky punk!' And we decided to go for it. I'm pretty sure you'll all know the score so here are a bunch of pictures.

It's not very wide!

And it is quite steep - Micky gave me a head start to avoid rockfall  :o  he's on there somewhere

Don't even look up if you can help it

Micky clambers to one side

Even out of focus that's a happy face. I'm not at all sure about 'THAT CRACK' though on the bottom of the stone.

Now I went around the side but Micky cut through, giving a good tug on the stone - just to make sure....

From here on in the weather took a turn for the worse and we decided to head for the top quickly to see if we could find our errant pals. According to a couple of chaps in the shelter we'd missed them by about 10 minutes so we headed off towards Slight Side hoping to catch up. The wind had certainly strengthened and then we had hailstones and the temperature must have fallen by about 10 degrees.

Through the mist with the aid of GPS we headed onto Slight Side and clambered onto the top, completely without the aid of the GPS I managed to take us off on the wrong route. The black moss made it an interesting descent through the crags - sorry Micky.

Fortunately the cloud started to break and we caught a glimpse of our pals and set off after them in earnest.

At one point it looked like we could keep the high ground and head them off at the pass - and planned jumping out on them or throwing rocks  ;) . They beat us to the pass by about 30 seconds though  :( , from here it was a nice amble down and back to the car. An unexpected and fantastic day out with some of the most beautiful and dramatic scenery in England. Oh and a top tip, it's always best to be half a pint behind.  :P
Get Big Picture

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Thanks for part 2 of the TR, more great pictures of a top place.
 O0

Micky

• Veteran Member
The write up sounds great Paul, wish I could see the pictures at work. I will have to wait until tomorrow now. BTW you don't have to be sorry about anything mate it was a fantastic day.  O0
Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Cogstar

• Veteran Member
Cheers Micky, I was a bit casual coming off Slight Side though......lesson learned for next time  ::)
Get Big Picture

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
Fantastic photos Coggieman  ;)   Sounds like you had a bit of a hair raising time but it sure makes you feel alive don t it  :o   Cant believe you went up Lords Rake it looks fierce, on the June meet we looked down it from Scafell and I had kittens.... ta for the photos, proper inspiring.... long may you walk in the fells...that looks a tremendous route  O0 O0 O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

dunc

• Veteran Member
belting pics lads. will have to get up that way next time I have more than a few hours to spare.  8)
"If this grand panorama before me is what you call God.... then God is not dead"

dibble

• Veteran Member
That all looks fantastic, a great trip report and a lot of what I've yet to experience.   O0 O0 O0

I've heard reports about that river... and Great Moss...

I need to get to know this area .. and so the pics are fascinating.... thank you...

I especially love this moody brooding sky one with the layers...

Thank you  O0 O0 O0
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Pearsy

• Veteran Member
Brilliant Paul. Cant see the pics at work but i'll have a shufty tonight.

i think the mood of the day was "casual"

I learnt a lot that day too, two days on the trot we get away with it  8) .

FWIW I learnt the following.

1. Wait for everyone at pre determined points if someone doesnt know where they are going. :P

2. Always carry your own map. :-[

3. Remember to get everything ready for the next day before going to the pub, because in the morning you forget clothing, maps and food. :-[

4.  It really is one of the most stunning places I've ever walked O0 O0

5.  How beck is ******* steep. :-[

6. Dont try and keep up with people who didnt do 12 miles the day before ;D .

Apart from that it was textbook.  Great and inspirational day and cant wait for the pro's pics!  I'll be back up there for definite when its drier, i fancy plodding all the way up that river!

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
What a stunning area .Brilliant photo's Paul  O0 .

Thanks for sharing.
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

Cogstar

• Veteran Member
As Robbo would say, nearly as good as Wales except for the ugly sheep  ;)
Get Big Picture

Glyders

• Veteran Member
Really entertaining reports - a real tonic O0

Pictures are really stunning.  Such a beautiful area, as said earlier, even a low level walk around there would be great too O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy